St. Luke's - Roosevelt Pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pathfinder2005

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have an updated information about this program? I heard they had a bad history in 2012 and were put on probation. Any input on residents excessively grossing.

Any info would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I accidently interviewed here in 2014.
https://www.scutwork.com/programs/115/st-lukes-roosevelt-hospital-center-progr-546609/
I do believe reviews on the scutwork.com in general reflect the current status quo.
During the grossing day residents can gross up to 200 cases, PA's are obviously trying to avoid this place, so even if you see PA during your interview he/she can disappear before you start actual residency and you will be on your own in the gross room.
It used to be a prematch program (I bet it is now) and the only reason to end up here if you are: 1) FMG 2) have poor USMLE scores 3) desperately need H1 visa 4) desperately have to stay in NYC.
They have subsidized housing on Manhattan which is still ridiculously expensive.

Reactions: 1 user
I accidently interviewed here in 2014.
https://www.scutwork.com/programs/115/st-lukes-roosevelt-hospital-center-progr-546609/
I do believe reviews on the scutwork.com in general reflect the current status quo.
During the grossing day residents can gross up to 200 cases, PA's are obviously trying to avoid this place, so even if you see PA during your interview he/she can disappear before you start actual residency and you will be on your own in the gross room.
It used to be a prematch program (I bet it is now) and the only reason to end up here if you are: 1) FMG 2) have poor USMLE scores 3) desperately need H1 visa 4) desperately have to stay in NYC.
They have subsidized housing on Manhattan which is still ridiculously expensive.

Thank you for your input. I was wondering if they changed since the last reviews in scutwork and probation. They still offer pre-match.
I am a FMG. but with good scores, 240s. Have had about 10 interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your input. I was wondering if they changed since the last reviews in scutwork and probation. They still offer pre-match.
I am a FMG. but with good scores, 240s. Have had about 10 interviews.
So don't go there even for the interview, don't waste your time and money.
People still pass boards and get fellowships but my impression that doing residency in such a places is like swimming in the whirlpool.

So don't go there even for the interview, don't waste your time and money.
People still pass boards and get fellowships but my impression that doing residency in such a places is like swimming in the whirlpool.

Thanks for the advice...

I'm an IMG who was living in Brooklyn at the time and didn't even bother with them despite interviewing at most of the others. I can't speak first hand, but skip.

I'm an IMG who was living in Brooklyn at the time and didn't even bother with them despite interviewing at most of the others. I can't speak first hand, but skip.

Ohh... Is it this bad ?? How many Interviews do you have if you don't mind sharing?

Mount Sinai acquired the former Continuum healthcare system, which included Roosevelt (now West), St. Luke's and Beth Israel. Last I knew, the plan was to fold this residency into the program at Mount Sinai. Mount Sinai has already announced the closure of Beth Israel. And, recently, they have announced they are selling off their CP outreach testing to LabCorp. No one should under any circumstances consider going to this program. It probably will not exist for much longer.

Mount Sinai acquired the former Continuum healthcare system, which included Roosevelt (now West), St. Luke's and Beth Israel. Last I knew, the plan was to fold this residency into the program at Mount Sinai. Mount Sinai has already announced the closure of Beth Israel. And, recently, they have announced they are selling off their CP outreach testing to LabCorp. No one should under any circumstances consider going to this program. It probably will not exist for much longer.
how do you think that would affect training in the main Mount sinai?

How did you figure that? Are you a resident or attending there?

Could you please elaborate the reasons behind such strong comments

So were you invited but didn't go?

Didn't apply. Did not hear a single good thing about them (and was told by two of my overseeing pathologists in med school to skip) and overapplied so was already stretching my cash flow.

Interviews: I sent out 51 applications because I was being incredibly paranoid. The ranged from safety programs to pie in the sky (BW). I believe I believe I got 26 or 27 interview invites. I went on 16 (which was exhausting) and ranked 14.

Great jouney! And I am glad you had good interviewes and I am sure you matched at your top choice.

I just wanted to mention that if you haven't been there, don't judge them. I have spent some time there and so I know how good it is. The group of residents is awesome and the cases they learn are very infomative. You might had previous impression but it has changed a lot. A lot of learning and research is going on. It is very hard and comepetitive to get there. They have group of smart people now.

I just wanted to make this honest opinion.

Guys please give your opinions about any program if you are really aware of the current situation. If you have spent some time with the program, may be rotations/residency or if your friends were/are residents there. In short, If you know things closely. Otherwise your opinion looks biased and it really doesn't help someone who is Making choices about their training programs.