Staffing agencies? Yay or nay?

Started by CYP3A4
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CYP3A4

P450
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am graduating this September and as anyone can imagine I am not excited about how poor the job market is right now. Nevertheless I am a little turned off by the job recruiters for some of the popular staffing agencies. They are nothing but doom and gloom, talk your ear off about nothing that is going to actually help you and then tell you to go get a job in the mountains of Kentucky or the Wisconsin tundra because that's only jobs a loser new grad can get.

:scared:

Ok, I'm not naive, I do realize the delicate situation we are in but I know plenty of people who graduated earlier this year who didn't have to take jobs at the South Pole. Are these staffing agencies just used to looking for jobs for companies in obsure parts of the country since no one would look for a job in those areas on their own? thus these agencies assume those are the only jobs available. OR, are staffing agencies really just for losers who were smart enough to find a job on their own? I wanted to give one more agency a try but after talking to three already and I am really turned off .
 
I am graduating this September and as anyone can imagine I am not excited about how poor the job market is right now. Nevertheless I am a little turned off by the job recruiters for some of the popular staffing agencies. They are nothing but doom and gloom, talk your ear off about nothing that is going to actually help you and then tell you to go get a job in the mountains of Kentucky or the Wisconsin tundra because that's only jobs a loser new grad can get.

:scared:

Ok, I'm not naive, I do realize the delicate situation we are in but I know plenty of people who graduated earlier this year who didn't have to take jobs at the South Pole. Are these staffing agencies just used to looking for jobs for companies in obsure parts of the country since no one would look for a job in those areas on their own? thus these agencies assume those are the only jobs available. OR, are staffing agencies really just for losers who were smart enough to find a job on their own? I wanted to give one more agency a try but after talking to three already and I am really turned off .

Are you talking about a staffing agency or a recruiting agency? The staffing agencies are hurting big time right now. Companies are cutting back and doing without expensive staffing agency help. Last year I picked up some hours with one and they had more requests than they could handle. They called me all the time. By February of this year the phone stopped ringing.

Recruiting agencies are the same way. Since there isn’t such a big shortage any more companies have plenty of applicants. They do not need to pay 10 thousand dollars to a recruiting agency to find someone.
 
I guess I am mostly refering to recruiters since they have only talked my ear off about permanent positions. I just got the impression they were more concerned about suckering me into a crap position no one else wants than actually trying to help me.

Like I said, I know I sound naive but I don't it's such a turn off talking to these recruiters. It's like they are the telemarketers of the job hunt world.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I guess I am mostly refering to recruiters since they have only talked my ear off about permanent positions. I just got the impression they were more concerned about suckering me into a crap position no one else wants than actually trying to help me.

Like I said, I know I sound naive but I don't it's such a turn off talking to these recruiters. It's like they are the telemarketers of the job hunt world.

you are naïve for thinking recruiters will find you anything but a crappy job. good jobs don't need to pay 25 percent annual pharmacist salary to recruiter scumbags to entice qualified pharmacists.
 
Most of the Chicago area recruiters are trying to push you into Wisconsin, NW IN, or rural IL. Some of the temp agencies will pay you to get the WI pharmacist license.
 
I don't think the recruiters are bad. They have jobs that are hard to fill and they were hired to fill them. As a future pharmacist, its nice to know what options there are available to you. Going to different areas is not a bad thing. In fact, you might learn something new about a community and yourself in the process. Look, your here to practice pharmacy and to help people get their medications. And yah, you may choose which area and setting. But I wouldn't call your fellow colleagues losers. Maybe one day and that day may come sooner than we all think, the only job choice you have left will be in the middle of nowhere then you'll have to bite your tongue about being that looser yourself. You just never know!

My suggestion: if you don't want to be recruited then don't talk to them.
 
If you have nothing good to say, don't say it. This can keep you out of alot of trouble. Also, don't make fun of people because it will come back and bite you. Just my 2 cents I want to share.:idea: