General Admissions & OTCAS Stanbridge MSOT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Huskers_1995

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone interviewed for the Sept. start date with Stanbridge?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Again Huskers- I did. How was your Interview BTW?

Did you e-mail Dr Janis? I think we should keep this thread separate just for Sep 2015 Cohort ( 5)

Thanks

I think that's a great idea. And the interview went pretty well!

I haven't emailed her as I wanted to wait a little, since my interview was just last week.

Members don't see this ad :)
On what date did you Interview? Mine was on 26th June, Friday.

Also the 26th! It was around 1 PM California time. I remember Karen said she had interviewed either half a dozen or a dozen before me. I really hope we hear back soon :S

Thanks for starting a MSOT Stanbridge thread @Huskers_1995 !

For prospective students, I answered a couple of questions about the program in this thread and I just copied and pasted my blurb about Stanbridge to here:
If anyone is still deciding on Stanbridge College, I am a current student in cohort 3. At first, I was a bit apprehensive of the program because it was not accredited and there wasn't a lot of reviews about the program but the staff have gone above and beyond to ensure that we are getting our money's worth.

Currently, Stanbridge College is accredited and the MSOT program is currently in the process of accreditation. The OT program has received “Candidacy Status,” by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) of the American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA). The MSOT program director, Dr. Janis Davis, has gone through the accreditation progress with two other OT schools in the US. Along with Dr. Davis' expertise, ACOTE and AOTA will be closely watching the school to ensure the program is meeting the standards and preparing the students with the proper materials. The OT program will know if they have received accreditation around December 2015. Once Stanbridge College receives their accreditation, the ACOTE and AOTA will be watching the program for 2-3 years to make sure the program can sustain on their own.

Now more about the OT program~

One cohort consist about 32-35 students and the school provides with all the resources to ensure that students are prepared to pass the NBCOT exam. The classes are only 2 days a week which give some students the opportunity to work and still go to school. The school provides the only synthetic cadaver lab in the west coast, state of the art labs with hospital beds with plastic "dummies", driving stimulation lab, multi-sensory lab, and more. In each classroom/lecture, there are laptop for each student where we can access our lecture power points and we also take our exams on the laptop. Most of the exams will be on the laptop because they are preparing and familiarizing the students to be comfortable to take the NBCOT exam on the computer.

One thing that really sold me about the program is how much they care about your success. If a student misses a day of class (one day of class is around 9-hours), the school will call you to ask why you were unable to attend class. Not only do they check up on you, they will set up meetings with a tutor or your instructors to make sure you are caught up with the material you missed. For those who want to work while attending school, they have career services where they help you build your resume, guide you with your job search, and prepare you with a mock interview. As well, they have student services where they will help and teach you how to manage your time, set up peer tutoring, and other personal services (anxiety, stress, depression, etc...). Also they expanded their campus and are building a student study area, cafe (which i'm very excited about), and more classrooms and labs.

So overall, Stanbridge College really cares about their students and I believe that they will become one of the up and coming MSOT program in California. I hope this information is helpful and good luck to prospective OT students! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Thank You CoffeeLover for all the detailed posts. I hope we meet you at the school soon in September which I think is Cohort 4. We have enough information we need at this point and its nice to have you in the group to fill in any gaps in our information. I am excited about this program and hope to research more and more about this diverse field of OT. If there are more members here in this forum who are currently at Stanbridge, please invite them to share their ideas and experiences too.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone interviewed for the Sept. start date with Stanbridge?
My interview is scheduled for July 24th. I just attended the information session this past weekend and I am really looking forward to the interview even though I am nervous! They told us at the info session that some people may receive an acceptance letter early but that most students will receive their acceptance letter after the last set of interviews have been completed (I believe the date for the last set is August 7th). We should know one month prior to the start of the program whether or not we have been accepted.

I interviewed on June 20th and have received notification that I am now on the "selective roster" and will know about my acceptance come August 10th. I am curious if anyone knows more about this selective roster in regards to potential acceptance? My advisor said they chose from the prospective students who have already interviewed by weeding out those who are qualified vs. those who aren't. Basically an updated list of candidates.

If anyone has a strong understanding of this "selective roster" please reply to this! It would sure take away from the anxiety!

Thanks!

Selective Roster means - Waitlist. So it seems they have decided the top 10 for Fall 2015 Sep start and will be making more decisions along the way until they fill the 32 spots for the upcoming term. If you are placed on selective roster , it means from all the candidates they have interviewed so far for Sep , they have placed a few on accepted list who are sure to be accepted unless they back out and rest of the few on selective roster. The selection is based on a point system so my advisor told me sure cut top ten who have earned good points will be notified rather early. They are still interviewing candidates until last week of July , so I am assuming there are two more rounds and they will select the rest from there. Rest of all are placed on selective roster again based on their own individual point based ranking . Like last term, some 8 people dropped out after orientation and so they called the 1st 8 people on the selective roster to fill the spots. This happens after the orientation for the term. So keep your fingers crossed -You never know.

My interview is scheduled for July 24th. I just attended the information session this past weekend and I am really looking forward to the interview even though I am nervous! They told us at the info session that some people may receive an acceptance letter early but that most students will receive their acceptance letter after the last set of interviews have been completed (I believe the date for the last set is August 7th). We should know one month prior to the start of the program whether or not we have been accepted.
Good luck! I also have an interview on that day. Can anyone help with the certified background check we had to do? Is it all just online or do we have to do anything extra once we get our results? Thanks!

It happens after one gets accepted. Btw, Acceptances are on the way I guess. I got in for September 2015. Anyone else here?

Good luck! I also have an interview on that day. Can anyone help with the certified background check we had to do? Is it all just online or do we have to do anything extra once we get our results? Thanks!
Good luck to you too! I hope all goes well and that we are accepted. :]

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations for those who got accepted to the program! :)
Hopefully, I get to meet those who decide to attend Stanbridge.

For those who are still waiting for your interviews, I can refer you to this thread where I gave some advice for your interviews.
I would like to answer everyone's questions but I am currently going into the last three weeks of my first term! So I won't be on the Student Doctor Forum too often.
Congratulations to those who have been accepted and Good luck to those who are going in for their interview!

Hi! For those of you who received admission decisions, and to those who will receive admission decisions within the next couple weeks or so.
Do you mind posting your stats?
I think it would be a great help to the forum! Thanks!:)

My stats are 3.92 over all. I have two BS degrees. One from NZ one from USA. I did 5 months of Volunteering and Job shadowing at SNF, Private Pediatric Practice and Hospitals 30 hrs a week. My last 60 Sem units 3.85 GPA. GRE was above average
VERBAL: 163 QUANTITATIVE: 160 WRITING: 5.0
I think I did the Interview ok. Also I submitted my application very early- Guess it helps us getting pre qualified. Also I worked at CRO for a few years - So I am a mature applicant and that is also what they look for. They are tending to take in more and more candidates from Finance, Education and Heath sector who already have work experience or are in the mid of a career change. But I know a girl who just completed a BS from UC-Irvine and got through. So you never know. They are looking for diversity. I am also waiting for more people to write here and meet someone who is starting in Sep 2015.

Hi I also came across the following salary survey results for OT . Worth a look . Seems like OT is a good field to be in and has a steady job growth for the next 10 years.

Attachments

• OT_2015_SalarySurvey_Settings.pdf
    648.7 KB · Views: 101
  • OT_2015_SalarySurvey_West.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 99
Hello Everybody who has applied for the Program at Stanbridge. I received my formal acceptance letter via e-mail today at 4:30PM PST. I live in San Diego and I am looking to meet someone from this area who will be travelling to Irvine. Kindly post.

Hello Everybody who has applied for the Program at Stanbridge. I received my formal acceptance letter via e-mail today at 4:30PM PST. I live in San Diego and I am looking to meet someone from this area who will be travelling to Irvine. Kindly post.
I am also from San Diego but I won't know whether or not I have been accepted for about 2 weeks because I just had my interview on Friday.

Nice.. Riversong- Do you mind PMing me when you get an acceptance?

Attention Cohort 4 Students!

I have a classmate who is renting out two rooms in Anaheim (15-20 min drive to school). The rent is super affordable! PM me if you are interested!

I don't know if anyone ever answered your question about the background check. Once I completed mine and received the results and I emailed my advisor and she said I didn't have to do anything further because they would receive the results directly.

Yes that is true. They receive it as soon as its completed. That is why you would have typed in the school code on the website.

I just got my acceptance yesterday! Excited to start next month and meet our new cohort :)

Reactions: 3 users
Congratulations for everyone that have been accepted! I can't wait to meet you all very soon! I have a bit of tips for orientation:
  1. Show up early! Traffic on the 91 & 57 Freeways are brutal!
  2. Make sure to bring your Orientation fee on the first day of orientation (Cash or Check)
  3. Be prepared to take a cohort picture!
  4. Bring a paper & pen if you want to write notes!
  5. On the 3rd day of orientation, bring a durable bag or a rolling backpack/suitcase to carry your textbooks! You will be getting 3 terms worth of textbooks & equipment.
Just to make it easier for everyone to connected, I made a Facebook group! Click HERE

If anyone has any questions, feel free to message me! :hardy:

Hi Coffeelover Cannot find the FB page. Says its unavailable. Thanks for the post. Whats your name?

Hi @aluan150 & @RiverSong47 !

Sorry, I guess putting it in secret group makes it hard for you to find it. I will personally PM you the FB link that have been accepted!
I won't be giving out my name to the public thread just for personal reasons. Please PM me if you have been accepted to Cohort 4!

Congratulations for everyone that have been accepted! I can't wait to meet you all very soon! I have a bit of tips for orientation:
  1. Show up early! Traffic on the 91 & 57 Freeways are brutal!
  2. Make sure to bring your Orientation fee on the first day of orientation (Cash or Check)
  3. Be prepared to take a cohort picture!
  4. Bring a paper & pen if you want to write notes!
  5. On the 3rd day of orientation, bring a durable bag or a rolling backpack/suitcase to carry your textbooks! You will be getting 3 terms worth of textbooks & equipment.
Just to make it easier for everyone to connected, I made a Facebook group! Click HERE

If anyone has any questions, feel free to message me! :hardy:
Hi! I know that this is super late but I have an interview with Stanbridge in February and I am Wondering if you are able to tell me any tips of interviews? I'm just so nervous and want to be prepared.

Thank you

Are you interviewing for the May or Sep start?

Hi! I know that this is super late but I have an interview with Stanbridge in February and I am Wondering if you are able to tell me any tips of interviews? I'm just so nervous and want to be prepared.

Thank you

Thank you

Hi,

Congrats on getting an interview! If you don't mind, I was wondering what were your stats?

After I submit my last remaining document, I'll hopefully be scheduled for an interview within the near coming months too, so like you I am also curious.

Good luck!:)

Hi,

Congrats on getting an interview! If you don't mind, I was wondering what were your stats?

After I submit my last remaining document, I'll hopefully be scheduled for an interview within the near coming months too, so like you I am also curious.

Good luck!:)
Are you guys interviewing for May or sep?

Is there a deadline for the September start?

For the students interviewing, how soon after you submitted your application did you get emailed to interview? I submitted my application this week for the May start & I was wondering what the time frame would be to get notified if I got an interview or not?
thank you!

For the students interviewing, how soon after you submitted your application did you get emailed to interview? I submitted my application this week for the May start & I was wondering what the time frame would be to get notified if I got an interview or not?
thank you!

@HopefullyOTer I submitted on OTCAS 2/8 and received a call from my admissions rep on 2/10 saying I got an interview on March 11.

I went to the info session and the Director of Admissions said that if you meet all the prequalification requirements (GPA, GRE, and I think proof of a Bachelor's degree?) you will be guaranteed an interview!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Did people apply using OTCAS or did they just send in the application available on their website?

@bhl1307 I'm not 100% sure of the specific date, but if you look on OTCAS I think it's around early June.

Cause they just tell me to keep looking. Wish they didn't raise the price

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

@HopefullyOTer I submitted on OTCAS 2/8 and received a call from my admissions rep on 2/10 saying I got an interview on March 11.

I went to the info session and the Director of Admissions said that if you meet all the prequalification requirements (GPA, GRE, and I think proof of a Bachelor's degree?) you will be guaranteed an interview!

thats awesome! i should be getting an interview then hopefully. there seem to be a problem with confirming my GRE scores so i think they're just waiting for that

Did people apply using OTCAS or did they just send in the application available on their website?

I sent in my app on OTCAS, mainly because I wanted to avoid the hassle of ordering transcripts (again), asking my evaluators to send in their letters of rec (again), and trivial things like that. Although it is free to send in your application on the Stanbridge website!

Does anyone have any idea about the available financial aide packages? Its a lot of money. But I understand it is an investment into our futures. However, I don't want to have to work full time to pay for rent and what not. I would like to be able to work only part time so I am can put 110% of my effort into the program and get the most out of it. Does anyone know if there are financial aide packages to help accommodate living expenses for the duration of the program?

Also, who is applying to the May cohort? Is anyone doing an interview March 11th? And did anyone get pre qualified with low GRE scores?

They offer NO financial aid opportunities because they are a for-profit school. The same is said about west-coast. All the other schools at least in California there are opportunities for scholarship and financial aid help.

They offer NO financial aid opportunities because they are a for-profit school. The same is said about west-coast. All the other schools at least in California there are opportunities for scholarship and financial aid help.
Can students receive loans through fafsa for these schools?

Not for this school, like i said before there is no opportunity for any loans or scholarships or grants because it is a for-profit school. I met with the financial aid office and unlike most schools, there isn't any assistance in terms of reducing cost.

Not for this school, like i said before there is no opportunity for any loans or scholarships or grants because it is a for-profit school. I met with the financial aid office and unlike most schools, there isn't any assistance in terms of reducing cost.
That really sucks. I'm applying to both of those schools. How do they expect students to pay for the tuition? Their programs are so expensive.

They have a financial aid page on their website and it talks about Federal Loans that they accept. I'm assuming since they are now accredited and their prices have gone up they started accepting fafsa.

The comment that Stanbridge doesn't not offer financial aid is not true. I am a 2nd year MSOT student and we apply for financial aid and fill out the FAFSA each year. Also, although there are no scholarships offered by the school there are many scholarships out there that are open to students, including from AOTA, CFOT, and other non-OT graduate education scholarships. I have been able to get scholarships to reduce my tuition. Please check with financial aid again. There may have been a miscommunication.

That really sucks. I'm applying to both of those schools. How do they expect students to pay for the tuition? Their programs are so expensive.
Call the school. Everyone is able to apply for FAFSA for a financial aid package. It has been this way since I started the MSOT program (before accreditation).