Standing Out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I'mJustCurious

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any tips or advice or ECs to help me stand out in terms of extra curricular activities? I might come out with standard gpas so I want my ECs to help me out. I already am doing shadowing, volunteering, community service, and have a leadership role in one club. I know that there is more to do for fun and was just wondering if anyone can share what they did or are doing currently? Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

It isnt the activities that you participate in that make you stand out. It is what you do with those activities. You can shadow a physicias for 100 hours and end up not even knowing the physician well. I suggest you think about how you can excel in your current activities instead of trying to check things of a list. For example, develop a strong relationship with physician shadowing. Show him you are passionate and engaged through questions.

Reactions: 1 users
It isnt the activities that you participate in that make you stand out. It is what you do with those activities. You can shadow a physicias for 100 hours and end up not even knowing the physician well. I suggest you think about how you can excel in your current activities instead of trying to check things of a list. For example, develop a strong relationship with physician shadowing. Show him you are passionate and engaged through questions.
I understand what you're saying and that is what I'm doing in every activities that I am doing. I just want a variety of ECs that I can do for fun. I made very close relationships with everyone that I work with I just want to do some more things on the side.

Members don't see this ad :)
research, emt, job, coach sports/summer camp, service abroad, tutor peers and high/middle/elementary school students, SAT/ACT instructor, church/faith group member, choir/dance/music, intramural sports

Last edited:
If you want ECs to do for fun, do what you think is fun. I climb, dance and cook in my free time. I didn't list climbing and cooking on my app, but your life doesn't have to be premed 1000% of the time

I was a big brother for big brother big sister. Very rewarding experience and looks good on the app too. I'm still in touch with my little and his family and actually enjoy hanging out with him.

Participate in activities you actually enjoy. There's a million box checkers, but you'll actually be passionate about your activities when have to you talk about them.

I found that even small things like hobbies you are interested in can help you stand out (and sometimes more). I listed one of my favorite hobbies, beer brewing and it was a great conversation piece in most of my interviews. Most of my other ECs that I thought brought more stock to my application were hardly even mentioned, if at all. Follow your joys and interests that you can find meaning and happiness in, adcoms like to see the human side of you, especially at interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
Florescent scrubs during rotations.

I plan on mentioning some programming I've been doing on the side. Started with R for my lab and have been moving back to python (something I was into when I was younger) and javascript. Also helped design our lab webpage (HTML, nothing fancy. Rather ugly, in fact.)

Be a people. Show AdComs you are a people.

Reactions: 1 user