Stanford Interviewees: Notified Recently?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello everyone,

Hope the little bit of info I have to give will allay some anxious wonderings:

I am on the First Alternate list and went to Admit weekend. As Durfen said, 90 students were there and lots were still considering UCLA, Hopkins, etc. However, most likely, not all accepted students who have already chosen Stanford were there. Someone (sorry, I really can't remember who, it was someone on the admissions committee) said that in the past, about the same number of admits typically come to the weekend. However, when I was talking to Dr. Garcia, he commented about the number of admits at the weekend in a way that suggested it was higher than normal.

More info directly gotten from Dr. Garcia:
- they have given out over a hundred acceptances (excluding F.A.); I heard from another student who heard from Albert Chevez that 150 were given out
- there are about 20 people on the First Alternate list now
- there will be ONE more Review Meeting, taking place this week (sorry, didn't ask for the day)
- they will give out only F.A., WL, and rejections from now on (so, no need to wait for phone calls)
- in the past, everyone on First Alternate got acceptances for the year they applied for. HOWEVER, he remained hesitant about whether they would be able to do so this year. It was at this point that he referred to the large number of admits who came. I don't know if he has gotten more early acceptances of the offers or if he simply didn't want to raise my hopes too much. (He seems to me very friendly and considerate, so hopefully, it was just the latter!)
- he told me that they may not get back to the F.A. people until beginning of June...I've no idea why they would take so long, hopefully, it's just another case of cautiousness
- offers are given to people on F.A. based on "fit", which I took to mean that if someone with a PhD in philosophy withdrew, then someone who did something similar would get the spot

will try to think if I missed anything... Good luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

okay, I am still fuzzy on how the regular waitlisters fit in the first alternates. essentially, is the FA a first tier and must be exhausted before anyone from the regular waitlist moves?

so if FA people cant get a spot this year. Will they be guarranteed a spot for 2008?

Members don't see this ad :)
so if FA people cant get a spot this year. Will they be guarranteed a spot for 2008?

Yes, they are admitted applicants for 2008, high waitlisters for 2007.

Thanks, WKK! Really appreciate your thoughtfulness in sharing this info. It is nice to know up front that there will be no more acceptances.

Oh! And :luck: :luck: with your FA status!

Congrats , durfen! How was Second Look? Can you share any pros and cons?

Con: It's lax.
Pro: It's lax!

Time to sleep.

hey guys, i don't think i've posted here before, but i'm on the regular waitlist and have been following the development of this previously somewhat mysterious first alternate list issue...thank you for all the info, wkk! and good luck!

i'm a little frustrated that they haven't been upfront with the rest of us about there even being a first alternate list, and i definitely wouldn't have known about it if i didn't read it here.

do you guys think this all means that the chances of getting in off the regular waitlist are pretty nonexistent?

hey guys, i don't think i've posted here before, but i'm on the regular waitlist and have been following the development of this previously somewhat mysterious first alternate list issue...thank you for all the info, wkk! and good luck!

i'm a little frustrated that they haven't been upfront with the rest of us about there even being a first alternate list, and i definitely wouldn't have known about it if i didn't read it here.

do you guys think this all means that the chances of getting in off the regular waitlist are pretty nonexistent?

i'd like to know the same thing. At first I thought first alternate meant a guaranteed spot in next year's class. But now it sounds like it is really a high waitlist for this year.

i'd like to know the same thing. At first I thought first alternate meant a guaranteed spot in next year's class. But now it sounds like it is really a high waitlist for this year.

Read eekconomics response kbear :) have hopes! unless you got in some amazinh schools this year already. the mail wil come in 2 hours !!!!

Couldn't agree more that Stanford has hardly been upfront - on a number of issues: "Everyone interviewed in April wil have an opportunity to be reviewed for an acceptance." NOT! (I guess I'm being reviewed sometime this week.) And they specifically told me otherwise - and others here were told the same, as well.

Not sure if it's really their fault. it's just bad luck for us this year i think. Blame it on the high deferral rate of last year's admitted students which led to this situation.

Couldn't agree more that Stanford has hardly been upfront - on a number of issues: "Everyone interviewed in April wil have an opportunity to be reviewed for an acceptance." NOT! (I guess I'm being reviewed sometime this week.) And they specifically told me otherwise - and others here were told the same, as well.

I have heard of people getting off the waitlist. I'll ask around and see.

Members don't see this ad :)
- he told me that they may not get back to the F.A. people until beginning of June...I've no idea why they would take so long, hopefully, it's just another case of cautiousness

will try to think if I missed anything... Good luck! :luck:

Probably because people may hold the Stanford acceptance until they get off the waitlist somewhere else.

I have heard of people getting off the waitlist. I'll ask around and see.

Thanks, that's really thoughtful of you. I laughed :D :D at your pros and cons. How true, though!

Saw the mailman two blocks away from my house when I headed out for lunch. gotta be something in the mail today... :)

no mail...lol gotta be tomorrow!!!! im resisting walking into the office to ask :D

wl today. im soooo bummed out!

I got a plain old waitlist too. At least we have each other at the bottom of this lowly thread.

hmm with the high number of deferrals last yr, i dont think any wlters , even alt listers can get a spot this year :(

yup...a first year i know at stanford confirmed that the yield has been really high this year (i'm not sure how they know this for sure before may 15th, but i guess they do) and that they probably won't be able to pull from the waitlist...:(

hmm with the high number of deferrals last yr, i dont think any wlters , even alt listers can get a spot this year :(

Very sorry to hear your news - I'm sure I'm next on the WL, if not a flat-out rejection. I take it you're at Stanford now (from your earlier comment about the office); how could it have taken one week to get the letter to you? That blows me away...

I agree, last year's deferrals have changed the landscape for all WLers, but you'll know more where you stand by early June, correct?

yup...a first year i know at stanford confirmed that the yield has been really high this year (i'm not sure how they know this for sure before may 15th, but i guess they do) and that they probably won't be able to pull from the waitlist...:(

Although a record number of people had come to second look (~90), a number of them were deciding between stanford and other schools (Harvard, Hopkins, UCSF, scholarships...). I have a feeling that all the alternate waitlisters and perhaps some regular waitlisters will get in. Moreover, a certain number of people will defer this year too. Good luck!

Gabujabu --> Well deferrals of this year will also include first alt people if they cant get a spot this year which will make next cycle insane!
Da moz --> it's pretty risky i think to stick onto this waitlist and drop off other acceptances unless your in the first alt list (20 +people so far according to wkk).

535488 and soy sauce:

Would you be willing to share when you interviewed? Thanks.

Gabujabu --> Well deferrals of this year will also include first alt people if they cant get a spot this year which will make next cycle insane!
Da moz --> it's pretty risky i think to stick onto this waitlist and drop off other acceptances unless your in the first alt list (20 +people so far according to wkk).
Agree, and will not do that. Thanks.

Mid-April. I was really surprised to get an interview so late... being on the waitlist doesn't seem that bad. Good luck to regular waitlisters (and 1st Alt ppl too)!

Mid April here. Most people on this forum got WL. Actually more of them got wl then rejction. funny lol. Soy Sauce you have any acceptances so far?

Is it really true that getting on the 1st alternate list means that you're guaranteed a spot for fall 08? Can you count on this reliably enough to forego other acceptances?

Is it really true that getting on the 1st alternate list means that you're guaranteed a spot for fall 08? Can you count on this reliably enough to forego other acceptances?

In order to accept the offer, you must in fact give up all current acceptances by May 15th. It's the same thing as any other acceptance. The wording of the letter is in the form of a guarantee.

One guy at the second look had withdrawn from everywhere else. First alternate is an acceptance, call Jonnie or Albert (depending on your name) and confirm....plus give the gold letter before long.

soy sauce, 535488, where are you guys?

soy sauce, 535488, where are you guys?

Making out in a private chat room.

We regular WL ppl aren't going to hear back until June at the earliest... time to stop sdn-ing for a while. Good luck to everyone waiting! Ttfn.

was told from the admission office that that it's unlikely for them to accept from regular wl this season. Time to move on. Good luck everyone else :)

was told from the admission office that that it's unlikely for them to accept from regular wl this season. Time to move on. Good luck everyone else :)

Please tell me that this isn't really true...

Please tell me that this isn't really true...

With 20 first alternates (according to a previous poster), this looks pretty likely. Especially since the class size is so small!

you can call admission and ask... sorry etngu. im in the same boat.

We regular WL ppl aren't going to hear back until June at the earliest... time to stop sdn-ing for a while. Good luck to everyone waiting! Ttfn.

I mean geographically :)

you can call admission and ask... sorry etngu. im in the same boat.

I'll take your word, thanks for the info. This is just really frustrating, being on a waitlist and knowing that there's almost no chance of acceptance. What school are the rest of you guys most likely to attend at this point? Oh, and people have mentioned there are 20 on the 1st Alternate, do any of you have a rough idea of how many are on the normal waitlist? Thanks and best of luck.

i bet there are a lot on the WL. unfortunately, time to move on with life.

Why have I not heard from them yet??!! Interviewed on April 16, was told I should hear soon. I really need to know so I can plan my life!!

you probably get something this coming thursday. They had their last review last week i think

LOL..this type of humor is needed in Pre-Med field.:laugh:

First Alternated, interview was April 19th, received mail in Berkeley today!

Stanford is my first choice, so it seems I will be joining the c/o of '11 or '12!

First Alternated, interview was April 19th, received mail in Berkeley today!

Stanford is my first choice, so it seems I will be joining the c/o of '11 or '12!

Congrats!

I think I've just set a record.

Just got my 7th waitlist letter from Stanford.

What should I do at this point??? How can I get some school to let me in???

I think I've just set a record.

Just got my 7th waitlist letter from Stanford.

What should I do at this point??? How can I get some school to let me in???

Wait one second. Seven waitlist letters from Stanford, or seven waitlist letters from seven medical schools? I'd really like to hear the story if the former is true - this coming from a kid who owns four separate Stanford rejection letters.

Quick question for any that may have already asked admissions.

In the First Alternate packet, they state that the "Intention to Matriculate" form is due by May 15th and will be send at a "future date."

I just received this package last week, sent in the "Statement of Acceptance" form, but have yet to receive the "Intention to Matriculate" form.

Does this mean I should still withdraw from all my other schools. Am I supposed to even receive an Intention to Matriculate form as a First Alternate yet? I don't want to end up withdrawing from everywhere, and then getting a call from Stanford on the 16th saying that I've been dropped from their list because I didn't submit my Intention to Matriculate form by the 15th:p

Quick question for any that may have already asked admissions.

In the First Alternate packet, they state that the "Intention to Matriculate" form is due by May 15th and will be send at a "future date."

I just received this package last week, sent in the "Statement of Acceptance" form, but have yet to receive the "Intention to Matriculate" form.

Does this mean I should still withdraw from all my other schools. Am I supposed to even receive an Intention to Matriculate form as a First Alternate yet? I don't want to end up withdrawing from everywhere, and then getting a call from Stanford on the 16th saying that I've been dropped from their list because I didn't submit my Intention to Matriculate form by the 15th:p

My "Intention to Matriculate" form was in my First Alternate packet and I sent it in last week. That's weird that yours wasn't in the packet...

I finally withdrew from Stanford. I was put on the unsexy WL and figured it's time to move one....good luck to all. I was not even aware of this FA Waitlist business....:sleep: