Stanford rejection already ?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uclabruins47

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK i just got a stanford rejection letter today, dated 3 days after initial transmission to stanford. How is it possible that they already review the applications basing on the general applicant pool considering not even that many applications have arrived there yet??!?

Does anyone else have this problem?

Members don't see this ad.

haha. sorry, i know it's not funny. it sucks, really. but, this reminds me of a post of oldman's. i think the same thing happened last year to several people. stanford sent out rejection letters to a bunch of people accidentally. some of them did end up getting rejected (e.g. oldman) but some got accepted later. i'll look for the old thread.

Ouch that's rough. Hopefully its just a mistake as Pocwana mentioned;) Although its hard to imagine that Stanford made the same mistake twice, makes you wonder what's going on there.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I remember hearing, Stanford uses a computer program with an elaborate formula to decide whether your application makes it to the next stage. I wish they had rejected me last year before a secondary. Would have saved me the secondary fees.

I know nothing about stanford admissions but an easy way to reason this is that they plugged and chugged you using just your MCAT and GPA. Its a simple, easy to do screen that takes seconds. Maybe you didn't meet their MCAT and GPA cutoffs. I know for a fact that Duke does this. From my personal experience though, I'd rather be rejected quickly than be dicked around for months with false hope as happened to me at a few schools.

if they use a computer program to scan apps, it makes you wonder how much the PS and the ECs are worth. :mad:

sorry peeps, no mistake on their part. They mean business. I think I got two rejection letters from them this past cycle. Better than Pritzker tho. I heard of one girl who got 5 rejection letters from them, (like one per week) and then finally called and asked them to stop sending them. Ah, some med schools are so brutal. :laugh: :laugh:

Originally posted by Papa Smurf
I heard of one girl who got 5 rejection letters from them, (like one per week) and then finally called and asked them to stop sending them. Ah, some med schools are so brutal. :laugh: :laugh:

Dear god thats terrible. It could only have been worse if they had written different letters each time

Originally posted by Papa Smurf
Better than Pritzker tho. I heard of one girl who got 5 rejection letters from them, (like one per week) and then finally called and asked them to stop sending them. Ah, some med schools are so brutal. :laugh: :laugh:
That's cruel and unusual! :eek:

im so sorry to hear that ucla! can they at least give a week or two of peace before they start with the brutality? damn!

Hey ucla...
sorry to hear about that... :(
I wanted to ask you a "personal" question but you dont have to answer it if you dont want to.... what were your stats? I want to compare them to mine so that I, too, can prepare for my Stanford rejection letter... Well, in any case, forget them... my theory is that I do not want to attend a school that cannot see past some numbers... they are accurate indicators of a lot of things, no doubt about it... I just cannot see how they reflect level of maturity, compassion, dedication.... a B+ during a quarter of 20 units and work, etc. probably will not pass the Stanford GPA cutoff, but Im sure an A in some cinema course will.... once again, sorry...

yea, i just emailed the dean about it, we'll see what happens next.

RE: DesireMD, i sent you a PM. anyone else wants to know my stats just let me know and i'll PM you :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Explosivo
From my personal experience though, I'd rather be rejected quickly than be dicked around for months with false hope as happened to me at a few schools.

AMEN.

gee... that makes me real excited to check my mailbox.... (i mean this sarcastically, of course!)

****ed up. condolances ucla...

aw man, ucla, i'm sorry to hear that. but i'm glad you're finding out what's up with all this..one question. did the notice come in via snail mail or email? (i'm assuming snail mail, but just want to make sure..i'm sure mine isn't too far behind :( ) anyway, hope you hear good news from stanford, and good luck the rest of the way :)

Sorry to hear that man.........that computer program is a b***h. It is messed up that it is only a numbers game for stanford.....atleast in the beggining...........although you know if you are confident in your application.........I say appeal........................can't hurt.........good luck.

Samoa I just checked mine and it does say my name on the status page and under that it states the date of supplementary application and etc..........although all the info is blank right now because I have not gotten a secondary.

when i log in, it says my aamc id was not found... same for ucsf. i assume they're just not working right yet.

mine wasn't found either - i was in the first batch. whateva - eventually i imagine

I tried logging in... it worked, but it didn't say a whole lot. You guys are missing much. :)

Anyone know what formula they use or what their cut offs are for stats?

Originally posted by DrBravesgirl
aw man, ucla, i'm sorry to hear that. but i'm glad you're finding out what's up with all this..one question. did the notice come in via snail mail or email? (i'm assuming snail mail, but just want to make sure..i'm sure mine isn't too far behind :( ) anyway, hope you hear good news from stanford, and good luck the rest of the way :)

yea it's by snail mail. still waiting to hear from the dean.... hope it's just a mistake like oldman's from last yr

WAIT! I applied to Stanford as well but I said that I will be retaking my MCATs in Aug ( I got a 29S in April). So do they wont send me a rejection letter already, right?

Does anyone know how these automated systems work for grad GPA's? Do they take this into consideration at all?

I just received a rejection letter from stanford (last friday). My stats are:

3.97 GPA and a 33Q. This process already is beyond me. I would have hoped to at least get a secondary. does anyone know the cutoff figures?

Originally posted by marq_bme

3.97 GPA and a 33Q. This process already is beyond me. I would have hoped to at least get a secondary. does anyone know the cutoff figures?

Damn! What are these people looking for!? I guess I'll get my rejection letter today...

Could be a few things that caused the rejection. 1) Where do you go to school and what was your Science GPA? Med schools commonly adjust GPA's based on ranking of your undergrad school. If you went to no-name U, it WILL hurt your chances at some schools, regardless of your MCAT. You say your cumulative GPA is 3.97, but Stanford only cares about the science gpa. Granted, to have a cumulative gpa that high, i'm assuming your sgpa would also have to be pretty high. I dunno, maybe it got adjusted downward.

2) On the surface, your MCAT seems fine, but what was the breakdown? Some schools, particularly the top schools, won't interview you if you have an 8 on any section. So if you have an (8, 12, 13), that could be a problem, even tho a 33 is a great score.

3) The computer just ^*$#^& up and you'll be getting a secondary anyday now.

Anyway, I dunno the cutoff figures, but these are the things that the computer takes into consideration.

1) MCAT score on each subsection
2) Science GPA
3) Quality of school
4) Sex
5) Disadvantaged Status
6) URM Status
7) Graduate School

wow. well cross that one off my list...

My experience applying last year to Stanford is that Stanford isn't all about numbers. I knew someone who had identical (and I mean IDENTICAL, even in terms of breakdown for the MCAT) numbers as me, but got a secondary and I didn't. ECs count a lot.

you can also successfully appeal (and eventually get in according to another sdn'er)by calling the admissions director. especialy whoever posted with the 3.97 and 33 - i would consider that, i don't think i would very pleased - it doesn't hurt, you've already spent about $40-50 bucks on it.

All right people, here is a little info to fill you in on why I probably didn't get the secondary:

My MCAT score is a 33Q

My cumulative GPA is a 3.97

My science GPA is a 4.0 (engineering classes don't count here do they?)

And I had plenty of EC's and clinical/research/volunteer experiences

.....hmm still can't figure out why they rejected me....oh wait here it is...

....oh thats right, I go to a "no name school" -Marquette University, and I'm an asian male--I guess I had it comin'--shouldn't have even wasted the 30 bucks. Screw them honestly.

okay, here is a big piece of info i left out..

my MCAT breakdown was as follows

VR 9 PS 14 BS 10 WS Q

Im guessing the 9 in verbal sealed my fate? Hmm, I seem to recall several people getting into top programs (WashU, Duke) with 9's in verbal. Maybe they didn't receive secondaries from Stanford as well? Who knows, this process is beyond anyone's comprehension.

All right people, here is a little info to fill you in on why I probably didn't get the secondary:

My MCAT score is a 33Q

My cumulative GPA is a 3.97

My science GPA is a 4.0 (engineering classes don't count here do they?)

And I had plenty of EC's and clinical/research/volunteer experiences

.....hmm still can't figure out why they rejected me....oh wait here it is...

....oh thats right, I go to a "no name school" -Marquette University, and I'm an asian male--I guess I had it comin'--shouldn't have even wasted the 30 bucks. Screw them honestly.

Damn, Marquette isn't brand name but its still a very good school. This process is just cold blooded. Are you from Wisconsin (Stanford doesn't play favorites to California kids quite to the extent the UCs do, or am I mistaken?). Although it probably wont help, i'd at least ask them why. I mean, no one is a lock for an interview, but no secondary? Geez

Well... I go to a no-name state school (granted the Honors College... but I don't think that means much) and I haven't gotten a rejection letter.... and I only have a 3.76 gpa (3.77 science).

Of course, it's very possible that I just haven't gotten one yet.

I think the wierd MCAT score along with being Asian may have done it...

yes i am a wisconsin resident.

lets hear it for the no-name school kids!!!

marq_bme,
that's terrible you've already received a rejection! from everything you posted it seems as if they either made a mistake or there was something in your personal statement they didn't like. i suppose it's possible they would reject someone based on a 9 verbal, but it seems unlikely. maybe they didn't like the 9V combined with the 10BS?? i dunno... seems a bit crazy. it's not like those scores are that far below their averages. err wait... now i remember that stanford doesn't even look at the ps as part of their formula for secondaries. it is hard to believe that with those stats you wouldn't at least make it to the intermediate group for further review. i suppose since your bs and v scores weren't that high and you're asian, if they consider marquette not a good school and you are young, male and not disadvantaged and didn't go to graduate school, you could get rejected straightaway. hmm...
anyway, sorry about your troubles :( at least you aren't wasting money on the secondary.
it just goes to show that using a formula doesn't always work well.

thanks for your reply, and now that ive read some of your responses, I can understand why I could have been rejected outright. I heard last year some guy got cut right away with a 3.95 and a 38 b/c he had no research experience.....yikes. I read it on the "I dont have any research" thread.

I am applying MSTP. And I did just call the office....and this is

what they told me.....(drum roll)

-If you don't have an 11 in each section, you will not even be considered for admission this year because the applicant pool is INCREDIBLY tough this year :eek:

..................................haha:laugh: just kidding. They said the what I expected them to say: the cutoff information is confidential and the only thing I could do is send an email to a certain person at [email protected], and ask him/her to review my application to make sure I was dismissed from the applicant pool on fair grounds. Apparently they have already received a number of challenges to rejections, and this is the guy/gal you email to

hey whats up - i really think you should appeal that - find out what the deal is, and you're working at the nih this summer - so you certainly aren't slacking:)

in addition to good stats, he's a nice guy too!!:D

-jot

Hmm, so if you're applying to MSTP, do they outright reject you for both MD and PhD? Could you potentially be rejected for the MSTP but still be considered for the MD pool? Just wondering

Man! Stanford is really harsh.:eek: