Stanford rejection already ?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally posted by SMW
This is the answer, guys, EC's have to be as stellar, if not more so, as the stats for the top 10 schools.

Yeah. Stanford probably screens pretty heavily, and lots of people have decent numbers.

-RA

Members don't see this ad.

just to add some intrigue to this discussion. though i have since been rejected by stanford, i did receive a secondary with a 29R and a 3.19 undergraduate. they must look at other stuff besides scores....

Add my name to this growing Stanford rejection list as well! Oh well, there goes my excuse to take an interview vacation out to CA. My stats: 37R, 3.72 from a good state school honors program, quality research, community, and clinical EC's, interesting hobbies, and good LOR's. I also received a pre-interview rejection from Vanderbilt on the same day, but at least now I don't have to bother completing that torturous secondary. I think that part of my problem with these two schools lies in the fact that I hadn't yet begun my current clinical activities when I was completing my AAMCAS in early June (applying was a recent decision for me), so they assumed that I was lacking in clinical exposure. I've corrected this in my secondaries to other schools.
Congrats to those of you who did manage to land an interview!

Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome to SDN, downshift and runner!! :) We will look forward to continued insight into other schools from the two of you (hopefully from a different perspective ;) ). Last year Stanford was pretty quick with the rejects as well. At least they don't keep you hanging forever, like some other schools. The fact that you got a secondary, runner, bodes well for your other applications -- have you heard from anyone else? Downshift, you might consider calling them and asking for a second look at an updated app. Someone on SDN did this successfully last year. I forget which school, but what's to lose?

thanks for the welcome :)
i have heard from other schools, i have 6 interviews at this point - i applied to a large and broad range of schools...

Originally posted by runner
i have heard from other schools, i have 6 interviews at this point - i applied to a large and broad range of schools...

That seems to be the ticket! Congrats on all your interviews. I have bumped up the interview thread so you can add yours! :clap:

I sent back the 2ndary early in Aug, so maybe they're waiting for mcat scores b4 deciding whether to ax me. Have any August mcaters received the Stanford rejection letter? Thanks.

Originally posted by runner

good work, runner. congrats. :clap: :clap:
and of course congrats to all other interviewees

So I emailed Stanford today to figure out what was going on with my application, since it has been complete for two months.

Then I find out that they have chosen not to interview me (i.e. rejected) and that I will soon recieve a letter in the mail.

I honestly don't care since I got accepted to a top ten school this week, but I wish I hadn't wasted my time with the secondary.

Being an Indian male was probably my downfall. I go to a name brand engineering school, but I doubt anyone in medicine on the west coast knows that.

Whatever. I'm happy. Good luck to all.

i did get an interview, which absolutely shocked me. not trying to brag at all, but just further evidence to the total randomness of the process, particularly since many of the folks on here have way outdone me stat-wise.

i've been out of school for a year, done research, and had a few submitted publications at time of application. 3.6 gpa from a top school, 37 mcat. a fair bit of volunteer, but no outstanding leadership stuff. not urm. not disadvantaged.

baffled, to say the least.

katem,

Congrats on your Stanford interview! Do you mind posting when your app was complete (ie secondary + recs turned in)? Thanks.

supp: 8/9
LORs: 8/29

i heard by e-mail earlier this week - maybe tues/wednes...

good luck to those still waiting!!

Originally posted by SunnyS81
So I emailed Stanford today to figure out what was going on with my application, since it has been complete for two months.

Then I find out that they have chosen not to interview me (i.e. rejected) and that I will soon recieve a letter in the mail.

i emailed them and here's what i got back:

Dear GoodMonkey:

You will hear from us soon.

Best Regards,
Stanford MD admissions.

:rolleyes: well THAT'S surely not too positive! i'm guessing thin letter time for me. :( sunny - when they emailed you back/you found out about the rejection, did you get one of these emails like mine, or was it flat-out-rejection-over-email?

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is the email I got. Sounds like yours is more positive.

Dear Sunny,

Stanford has decided not to extend an offer of an interview to you. A letter will be sent out soon.

Best of luck.

Regards.

yeesh, sunny, harsh! well no thin envelope in the mail for me from stanford today - ya think they could have told me over email if they have decided not to interview me, or if they could have said "we've decided to offer you an interview." instead i get the cryptic "you'll hear from us soon" business! gracious, these hoity toity dream schools, what grief they put us thru! :)

Goodmonkey,

Sounds like you have a shot then. I had sent them an email before informing them that I am leaving the country to study abroad from Jan.1-April 1, and that if they choose to interview me, it would have to be before Jan. 1. I said it all in a nice way. I was expecting a response of "we will try to accommodate you" or something like that. At least send me the standardized rejection email or letter first which talks about "the many qualified applicants" and " limited positions" or stuff like that. I'm only disappointed that I can't make a trip to California.

Take care and good luck!

Incredibly, after over two months since my application was complete, in the mail today I received an invitation to interview. I was totally blown away surprised.

Originally posted by cabruen
Incredibly, after over two months since my application was complete, in the mail today I received an invitation to interview. I was totally blown away surprised.

Congrats! :cool:

Thanks Random for your encouraging words!!

I am such an unusual non-traditional applicant, I am surprised by how well received my application has been received. I am still currently only holding one rejection, one waitlist, and a lot of interviews, but hopwfully that will change over the next coupld of weeks.

Originally posted by cabruen
I am such an unusual non-traditional applicant, I am surprised by how well received my application has been received. I am still currently only holding one rejection, one waitlist, and a lot of interviews, but hopwfully that will change over the next coupld of weeks.

You're doing really amazingly in this process. The Matrix says all. :) Congrats again! And good luck with Stanford!

So how "unusual" and "non-traditional" are you?

Originally posted by Random Access
You're doing really amazingly in this process. The Matrix says all. :) Congrats again! And good luck with Stanford!

So how "unusual" and "non-traditional" are you?

very much so .... :D :D :D :D

i am not really sure what to think about stanford. it seems like it may be a bad idea to contact them b/c everyone who does seems to get a rejection...is it just me or does it seem that way? is it still a good idea to contact them if they have had your app for 8 weeks with no word? thanks.

Just for the record, I received my interview notification 9 weeks to the day after my application was complete. At the time I was starting to think about contacting them, but they beat me to it. The invitation came in a very thin cheap looking envelope.

Originally posted by marq_bme
All right people, here is a little info to fill you in on why I probably didn't get the secondary:

My MCAT score is a 33Q

My cumulative GPA is a 3.97

My science GPA is a 4.0 (engineering classes don't count here do they?)

And I had plenty of EC's and clinical/research/volunteer experiences

.....hmm still can't figure out why they rejected me....oh wait here it is...

....oh thats right, I go to a "no name school" -Marquette University, and I'm an asian male--I guess I had it comin'--shouldn't have even wasted the 30 bucks. Screw them honestly.

Man, this whole process is a crapshoot. Still, I would kill to have your numbers!

bump for people getting :( their first :( rejections :( from Stanford....(or ppl like me who will probably get it in the mail in the next coupla days...)

Now you guys know why we Cal Bears aren't too fond of StanfUrd. Down with the Cardinal Red! Their campus looks like a huge Taco Bell anyway.

Originally posted by spumoni620
bump for people getting :( their first :( rejections :( from Stanford....(or ppl like me who will probably get it in the mail in the next coupla days...)

Don't be so negative! Future doctors should be confident. Anyways, hopefully, Stanford has worked out its kinks so that this doesn't hppen again this year.