starting premed this fall, need your help please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tim Haas

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I'm starting premed at RIT this fall, and am a mechanical engineer major, so basically i need my general chem, orgo chem, bio , and then one trimester of language they said extra as in not included in my classes i have already.....I'll have to take general chem, bio, and orgo 1-3 cuz RIT is a trimester school. So, what is your advice on which courses to take and when? I am a 5 yr degree student so i was thinking i'd take the mcat after my 4th year, but i have coop that summer...i dunno. Hmmm. Also what ec's and how many do you think i should do? I really want to volunteer as a tutor at a boys/girls center because that would be a nice mix up rather than trying to be like everyone else and doing the volunteering at a home or something....i know i'll have to do some of that too, but was wondering how much?

Thanks a ton, and please don't flame...I am desperate for some help.

Members don't see this ad.

and any ideas on some books to read to get the full scale idea on everything i need to do while preparing for this? Like someone who wrote a book on what to do and wheN?

Thanks a lo

nice advice but i need all the prep i can get....if you knew what type of family situation i come from you'd know why i need to be like this

Members don't see this ad :)
hey, i was in the same boat as you. I'm a mechanical engineering major that was a co op at Purdue University.

Well to tell you the truth, I wasn't sure I wanted to go into medicine until recently. I did engineering because I liked to learn how things work and lately I got intererested in applying it to the human body...but that's all another story.

Basically just take Bio 101 and 102 if your school has that - it's for non bio majors aka engineers and then take o chem 1 and 2. You have to take physics and gen chem anyway cuz ur an engineer. In fact you're gonna be taking ALOT of mechanics...so um...hehe get ready for some crazy ass machine type equations.

I was an academic advisor for freshman engineering and if you have any questions about anything related to engineering or pre-med, just PM me.

I took the MCAT while I was working and taking a prep course really helped me, so maybe that'd work for you. After being in engineering the physical sciences section was just a total joke. As for verbal, read a lot of books - like Tom Clancy or whatever you like to read - even Harry Potter would work...just keep your mind in a literary type mode throughout your years. And as for bio, it's honestly not that hard to understand - just a lot of readin and memorization...take all the study habits you learn from engineering and apply it to o chem and it won't be too bad either.

But no matter what your major is, I think as long as you really apply yourself anyone can do well.

Last edited:
Tim,

I won't pretend to be an authority on the subject, but here is the best advice I can give:

In terms of classes, and when to take them - realize that mech engineering has some pretty difficult classes, so provided you stick with the premed track, you will have to schedule accordingly. Start of with plain and simple Gen Chem. The next semester see how you handled the previous one (i.e. if you struggled with g.chem and 1-2 math/engineering classes, then don't add extra premed work) and add additional premed courses as you go. For me, I was a psych/neuro major, and did gchem 1 first semester, then gchem 2, bio 1, and calc 1 second. Starting soph year I did orgo 1, bio 2, calc 2. These were difficult course loads, but if you can handle them, go for it. Also, realize you want all premed classes done BEFORE the MCAT. Yes, that means physics and biochem. This will make studying for the MCAT much easier.

ECs - don't do anything because someone says it will look good. The best doctors (and lawyers, business people, engineers, etc...) are those that do things because it makes them a better person. If you want to tutor, then do it. Adcoms don't have a set amount of hours of ECs that they look for. They want to know that you took something from your experiences (unless of course you lie on your apps, but I like to think that Adcoms see through that).

Medically related ECs - start off wherever you can. First, find out if medicine is what you really want. Read news about events that impact physicians, talk with physicians and find out how they view medicine. In terms of what is a good experience: My school had a large teaching hospital that I volunteered in. It was a waste of my time - I folded towels, and once in a while got to push a patient to a recovery room. I found the best experiences I had were shadowing a teaching physician that was working with MS3 and MS4 students. These students are not far removed from where you are at, they love to teach, and they have insight in to the admissions process. How do you do this you may ask? Look up the phone number of a doc and call them. Most are happy to take you on.

This is about all I can really tell you of now. Again, make sure this is what you want to do! And, good luck, post again if I, or any of the other members can help you out.

BG

Tim,

Oh yeah,

enjoy college - learn how to learn and become a cultured individual. Go to some sporting events and some parties. This is the best time of your life - don't look back in 50 years and wish you had not squandered the experience. The best and brightest physicians and med students I know are those that can relate to all people, unless of course you go into pathology or rads (don't really see patients there).

BG

thanks a ton...i really do appreciate it...