Starting Salaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You must be living in fantasy land. Your "doctorate" is an ENTRY-LEVEL doctorate. It carries less weight than a real phD. Furthermore, your expectations of income as a Rph is ridiculously skewed.

The LACK of money in pharmacy is part of why I switched from pharmacy to dentistry... double the income AND more job satisfaction/variety/opportunities to help ppl

I know how much dentists make I use to attend an Ivy League Dental school. I am not sure why you are telling me this. I had the option to attend any dental school I want to in the United States (I got accepted to all the dental schools I applied to except for one and I ONLY apply to the best schools...), so I am not sure what your point is?

Dentistry gives more job satisfaction? :laugh: If by job satisfaction you mean smelling bad breath, then yes you will be right!

I think I will enjoy working at home and earning 100K to 120K a year MUCH more than smelling bad breath or pulling teeth. Thanks, but no thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Exactly. Posts such as the one by Lazy Mooch makes me wish that they would require a degree (or even work experience) prior to starting Pharmacy school. The perspective that some people have shown on these threads as pre-pharms and my personal favorite, SHC, is lacking, IMO.

I am not really sure what you are trying to get at here....I have a bachelors degree from a great university and I have worked at a pharmacy before....so what is your point here?

I also do not understand what you mean by work experience...do you think just because you work a little bit MORE than other people that your opinions are now facts?

Is it worth it to take out 200K+ in loans for a PharmD degree is an opinion...I could have 20+ years of work experience and I will still tell you HELL NO it is not worth taking out 200K in loans. Free okay, 50K okay, 100K...getting iffy...but 200K? Hell NO! I don't see how work experience will change my mind on this topic. It just is not worth it. How is work experience suppose to make this decision any different?

The only way I will agree with you is if a pharmacist make 200K NET salary every year. Then yes, go ahead and take out 200K.

I am not really sure what you are trying to get at here....I have a bachelors degree from a great university and I have worked at a pharmacy before....so what is your point here?

I also do not understand what you mean by work experience...do you think just because you work a little bit MORE than other people that your opinions are now facts?

Is it worth it to take out 200K+ in loans for a PharmD degree is an opinion...I could have 20+ years of work experience and I will still tell you HELL NO it is not worth taking out 200K in loans. Free okay, 50K okay, 100K...getting iffy...but 200K? Hell NO! I don't see how work experience will change my mind on this topic. It just is not worth it. How is work experience suppose to make this decision any different?

The only way I will agree with you is if a pharmacist make 200K NET salary every year. Then yes, go ahead and take out 200K.

SHC, I have absolutely NO interest trying to change your mind about anything regarding income, salary, or realistic expectations. I merely grin whenever you decide to post anything regarding pharmacy because your mindset is so very far from that of myself and others who are on this board as pharmacy students. Therefore, I merely present the counterpoint because I would be fearful of a pre-pharm taking your mindset as one of reality on this topic.

Members don't see this ad :)
SHC, I have absolutely NO interest trying to change your mind about anything regarding income, salary, or realistic expectations. I merely grin whenever you decide to post anything regarding pharmacy because your mindset is so very far from that of myself and others who are on this board as pharmacy students. Therefore, I merely present the counterpoint because I would be fearful of a pre-pharm taking your mindset as one of reality on this topic.

Hmmm....let see. Take my mindset and graduate pharmacy school with little debt/living a great lifestyle. Or if one doesn't have the option of graduating with little debt then he or she will be smart enough to look at other jobs and make even MORE money. And live a even BETTER lifestye. That's my mindset.

I think I will be fearful of people taking your mindset and think a PharmD is worth anything in the world and keep on taking debt until they drown in their own debt/live like a pauper forever. Unless people here love living like a pauper, I suggest not listening to you. :laugh:

I think I like my mindset better. Thanks.

PCAT Verbal Practice:

SHC1984 : chemguy79 :: oil : ___?

Just funnin' you guys. :D ;)

SHC1984 : Chemguy 79 :: Work smart/make TONS of money : Work hard/drown in debt

Exactly. Posts such as the one by Lazy Mooch makes me wish that they would require a degree (or even work experience) prior to starting Pharmacy school. The perspective that some people have shown on these threads as pre-pharms and my personal favorite, SHC, is lacking, IMO.

I worked at CVS Pharmacy and I have done research into other forms of pharmacy. No retail pharmacists that I have encountered in real life pursued their occupation for anything other than monetary gain.

I find it funny that you wish to close rights to posting for pre-pharmers when it is one of the best ways for them to get information from pharmacists. I can tell you that it is impossible to have a conversation with them about the profession in a retail setting, as they are swamped with work. Perhaps you desire to only let people who agree with you post? God forbid people like SHC have different perspective on life.

The reason I am listed as pre-pharmacy is because I'm 3/4 the way through completing my pre-reqs to enter a program.

I worked at CVS Pharmacy and I have done research into other forms of pharmacy. No retail pharmacists that I have encountered in real life pursued their occupation for anything other than monetary gain.

I find it funny that you wish to close rights to posting for pre-pharmers when it is one of the best ways for them to get information from pharmacists. I can tell you that it is impossible to have a conversation with them about the profession in a retail setting, as they are swamped with work. Perhaps you desire to only let people who agree with you post? God forbid people like SHC have different perspective on life.

The reason I am listed as pre-pharmacy is because I'm 3/4 the way through completing my pre-reqs to enter a program.

I have encountered pharmacists who actually ENJOY the profession, *gasp*.

LazyMooch ... Have you ever worked a full-time job? Furthermore, I never said that I wanted to close rights to posting for pre-pharmers. I clearly said that I feel that pre-pharmers should be required to have a bachelor's degree as well as work experience. Any reputable MBA program has this requirement. Other professional schools have similar requirements. Hell, PA schools require a specified number of hours in the field. Very different ideas and you should reread my posts, LazyMooch, before putting words in my mouth. :)

SHC has clearly said that she's here for money. She has little interest in working with the public. She is the antithesis of what I would want a pharmacist to be. I hope that she can find her dream job so she can avoid the public for her benefit and the public's benefit. She can definitely state her opinion and I can clearly state that I do not share her ENTITLED beliefs.

I have interest in making money, but it's not my SOLE FOCUS about pursuing a career. If that is your SOLE FOCUS, I hope that you never interact with the public. Frankly, I would love to have been a fly on the wall when SHC stated her interest in pharmacy at her interviews. Did you keep a straight face during your interview?

I find it funny that you wish to close rights to posting for pre-pharmers when it is one of the best ways for them to get information from pharmacists. [...]

I thought I read chemguy's post as wishing pre-pharms had this experience (work or a degree), not that SDN required it for posting.

I was asking why you're listed as pre-pharm based on such a negative post about the field of pharmacy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Awwwwww, SHC, why'd you do that? You took my harmless joke & turned it into an ad hominem attack. Sad panda. :( :( :(

You know what I love about SHC? She never takes offense to anything that anyone posts about her. It really is remarkable.

You know what I love about SHC? She never takes offense to anything that anyone posts about her. It really is remarkable.

I always look at my sources. This time its from a guy that thinks a PharmD is worth unlimited amount of debt. That's laughable at best. I am sorry I actually know how to do some math. :rolleyes:

Other times it's from haters. And haters will always hate...I am good stuff so I really don't care what anyone thinks. My self esteem is just too damn high! :laugh:

I always look at my sources. This time its from a guy that thinks a PharmD is worth unlimited amount of debt. That's laughable at best. I am sorry I actually know how to do some math. :rolleyes:

Other times it's from haters. And haters will always hate...I am good stuff so I really don't care what anyone thinks. My self esteem is just too damn high! :laugh:

That's hardcore. I LOVE YOU! :love:

Owlegrad: xNeenax :: owle: fox :D

xtsukiyox: chemguy79:: spunky: arrogant :laugh:

delano2000: crazybob:: drunkie: cutie ;)

SHC1984: pharm B :: Goddess: pawn :p

Owlegrad: xNeenax :: maniac: sensible :smuggrin:

who else can I make fun of?

Last edited:
I don't really understand what you mean by Pharm D. isn't worth at least 200k in debt. I am not saying its worth unlimited debt, and sure based on the life style you think you deserve once graduating Pharmacy school it may not be worth 200k to you. Unfortunately no matter how great you are at math, 200k is still a great return on investment. And I also agree that a bachelor's degree should be required to enter Pharm D. and work experience inside a pharmacy. That would be a good requirement to be enforced to lower the amount of applicants per year, creating a slightly more demanding need in the future. Also every graduate degree program normally has those requirements, Pharm D. shouldn't be an exception and I am sure it won't be one in the future. Pharm D is a newer concept considering BS Pharmacy was acceptable ten years ago to be a pharmacist.

SHC1984: pharm B :: Goddess: pon :p

I don't see chemguy as arrogant :shrug:

ExpressScripts is waiting for you, SHC. If you graduate soon you can jump in on the hiring they are going to be doing down here :smuggrin:

SHC1984: pharm B :: Goddess: pon :p

I like that I made it on there twice (and that you know how to spell owle), although I still contest I am not a maniac.

What is a pon?

I don't see chemguy as arrogant :shrug:

ExpressScripts is waiting for you, SHC. If you graduate soon you can jump in on the hiring they are going to be doing down here :smuggrin:

I love chemguy, I do - but that descriptor is pretty much spot on. :laugh:

I don't mind being called a maniac, but the misuse of a lot drives me crazy. Perhaps you have a point after all. :laugh:

I finally got on your nerves. Now I have succeeded on accomplishing another goal in my life :D

You have a lot of powers as a mod.

I finally got on your nerves. Now I have succeeded on accomplishing another goal in my life :D

Perhaps, but it would be indecent of me to discuss such things in public. Lets just say, I haven't had any complaints.

So... Turning stoplights from red to green? Making it stop raining? Alchemy maybe? :D

So... Turning stoplights from red to green? Making it stop raining? Alchemy maybe? :D

Owle apparently has the power to kidnap other owels and enslave them as his avatar including their tootsie pops. That's pretty intense right there.

Owle apparently has the power to kidnap other owels and enslave them as his avatar including their tootsie pops. That's pretty intense right there.

Trapping people in a 2 dimensional object? Isnt that what Superman did to Lex Luther in Superman II? So, Owle is an equivalent to Superman?

trapping people in a 2 dimensional object? Isnt that what superman did to lex luther in superman ii? So, owle is an equivalent to superman?

No!

Owle is part of Voldemort's Clan and before Harry defeated him, Owle snagged some of Voldemort's powers somehow. :D

Last edited:

SHC1984: pharm B :: Goddess: pawn :p

Hooboy, I disagree with some of the above. Besides, once I can convince Express to allow for plus size male models, I'll finally get a modeling contract and then SHC will respect me. :smuggrin:

In other news: starting salaries are more than you would make at McDonald's, and you probably won't be 200k in debt. I was recently discussing med school debt with some people, and they mentioned how easy it was to owe more than a quarter mil after residency.

Have fun with that! :laugh:

Moral of the story, as far as I'm concerned: avoid private schools and do anything you can to get on a track to a job you want.

Or model. :p

Hooboy, I disagree with some of the above. Besides, once I can convince Express to allow for plus size male models, I'll finally get a modeling contract and then SHC will respect me. :smuggrin:

In other news: starting salaries are more than you would make at McDonald's, and you probably won't be 200k in debt. I was recently discussing med school debt with some people, and they mentioned how easy it was to owe more than a quarter mil after residency.

Moral of the story, as far as I'm concerned: avoid private schools and do anything you can to get on a track to a job you want.

I am a world famous elbow model. That is how I am going to graduate without any debt...

I'm going to marry Justin Beiber. That's how I'm going to graduate without any debt :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I am a world famous elbow model. That is how I am going to graduate without any debt...

I WAS a world famous elbow model, until bursitis took me out in my prime. :eek:

Now I'm working on a knee deal.

I'm going to marry Justin Beiber. That's how I'm going to graduate without any debt :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'm pretty sure the Bieb already married Twitter.

Quail Fortune Telling. You pull the quail's tail feather out, then look at the patterns and coloration to figure out what will happen in the future.

The closest thing to a quail that I can get my hands on is an owle. I must find my eyebrow plucker so I can pluck his tail feather out.

Quail Fortune Telling. You pull the quail's tail feather out, then look at the patterns and coloration to figure out what will happen in the future.

That's not nice. Everyone knows it means Quit Fracking Talking.

The closest thing to a quail that I can get my hands on is an owle. I must find my eyebrow plucker so I can pluck his tail feather out.

I think someone has a crush on a certain nocturnal avian member of SDN...

I think someone has a crush on a certain nocturnal avian member of SDN...

:eek:
Why did you say that now people are going to start talking.
Now I have to pick on R2pharmD2 some more.