State of Residency Dilemma - MA, NY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ltrain

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, this is my first thread, and I'm looking for some advice. Here is my situation:

I grew up in NY and went to high school there. I went to college in MA for 4 yrs, graduated, lived in NY for half a year, abroad for half a year, and have now been back in MA since September. I have a job and am going to school part time now (post bacc), so I'll be in MA until I matriculate. I'm going to be applying to start med school for the fall of 2007.

UMass residency rules require living in MA continuously for 5 years before you can apply, and no, they won't count time spent in college. NY requires that you live in the state for a year continuously before matriculation. So, with my current plan, it seems that I am out of luck with having a state school to apply to.

Anyone go through a similar situation/have any advice?

Thanks alot!
L

Members don't see this ad.

I know that in many states, if you were a college student out of state but your parents and family are still in state, they will let you apply to be considered a state resident. Well, medical schools will, I don't know how it works with the state. So I would look into the NY schools and see if this is the case there. I've lived in Philly for over a year with my husband, and I previously spent 3.5 years in college in NY, but the SC schools said I could apply to be considered an in-state resident because I spent the first 18 years of my life there and my entire family is there.

Hope that helps. I'd get in touch with the NY schools and see what they say.

State of residency depends on your permanent address. If your parents still live in NY and their address is listed as your permanent address then you will be considered a NY resident. If your parents moved then you'll be a resident of where ever they live now.

This happened to one of my friends. He was from Minnessota but his parents moved on NC when he was in college and as a result he applied for med school as a NC resident.

Members don't see this ad :)
i dunno about the ny thing. i lived in ny my entire life until i went to college and then i lived in chicago for 4 years and moved straight to dc this year. so, i haven't lived in ny (aside from a few weeks here and there) in about 5 years. however, at my SUNY downstate interview a few weeks ago my interviewer referred to me as a ny resident. i think you can qualify for ny.

ltrain said:
Hi guys, this is my first thread, and I'm looking for some advice. Here is my situation:

I grew up in NY and went to high school there. I went to college in MA for 4 yrs, graduated, lived in NY for half a year, abroad for half a year, and have now been back in MA since September. I have a job and am going to school part time now (post bacc), so I'll be in MA until I matriculate. I'm going to be applying to start med school for the fall of 2007.

UMass residency rules require living in MA continuously for 5 years before you can apply, and no, they won't count time spent in college. NY requires that you live in the state for a year continuously before matriculation. So, with my current plan, it seems that I am out of luck with having a state school to apply to.

Thanks alot!
L

Yeah I am pretty much the same situation. I am from NY too, went to HS there and came to MA to go to college. After I graduated I decided to continue to live in MA and take post-bac classes. Having only lived in MA for 2 years, I can't apply to UMASS and I can't apply to any schools in NY because I am now a MA resident. It sucks. Sorry I don't have any advice for you, but wanted to let you know there's someone else in the same boat. We are people without a state medical school. :mad: I'm moving in September. This dumb state residency requirement combined with the evil snow leads me to renounce this state.

MA I RENOUNCE YOU !

On a side note, did you know that MA is the only state in the US with negative population growth?

hey, thanks for the responses, guys.

i think the thing about being a resident if your parents are still in-state only applies if you are still a dependent (on their taxes).

medstylee - are you still a dependent? if not, then that's good news!

PineappleGirl - i feel you. i feel like i've been living in mass for the past six years! and when i called the UMass admissions office, the lady was like, yep, some people don't have a state school to apply to. awesome.

as a side note, to be a ny state resident, its a full year from the date you matriculate -- so if you start school august 2006, youre fine as long as youre there by august 2005

ltrain said:
i think the thing about being a resident if your parents are still in-state only applies if you are still a dependent (on their taxes).

I'm not entirely sure, and I've only ask the SC schools, so take this with a grain of salt. But I'm definitely not a dependent (been married over a year), and MUSC said I could apply to be considered a state resident. You have to explain your ties to the state and sign a thing saying you plan to live there as a resident. It's possible this is peculiar to SC, but perhaps there is something like it for the NY schools?

ltrain said:
when i called the UMass admissions office, the lady was like, yep, some people don't have a state school to apply to. awesome.

There should be a law against that. Everyone deserves a state medical school!

tigress said:
I'm not entirely sure, and I've only ask the SC schools, so take this with a grain of salt. But I'm definitely not a dependent (been married over a year), and MUSC said I could apply to be considered a state resident. You have to explain your ties to the state and sign a thing saying you plan to live there as a resident. It's possible this is peculiar to SC, but perhaps there is something like it for the NY schools?

yeah, maybe i should work on finding the right person to answer this question (ie the person who will give me the answer i want ;)) i just called the admissions office at stonybrook and the woman told me must live in state a year before matriculation, and if they're suspicious they'll ask for proof in the form of bills addressed to you, etc.

PineappleGirl said:
There should be a law against that. Everyone deserves a state medical school!

yeah...here's a big :thumbdown: to massachusetts! are you moving back to ny?

ltrain said:
yeah...here's a big :thumbdown: to massachusetts! are you moving back to ny?

Nope, Puerto Rico.

ltrain said:
now that sounds like a plan

Sunshine, beaches, UPR, here I come!

I have so had it with MA, especially all the evil snow.

ltrain said:

Thanks alot!
L

I'd go with New York. I am sure you can squeeze into the rules there with a little creativity. :) Plus there are lots more state med schools and they are easier to get into.