state ties?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sylus

Dorian Gray
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So when state schools say they want OOS applicants to have "ties to the state"- what exactly does that mean?

Members don't see this ad.

So when state schools say they want OOS applicants to have "ties to the state"- what exactly does that mean?

That they don't want applicants who have never set foot in the state to fire off applications there shotgun style. If you grew up there, went to school there, paid taxes there, registered to vote there, had a drivers license there or at least have immediate family you've regularly visited there, then fine. If you thought it seemed nice from postcards, or maybe spent a weekend in the state as a child, don't bother.

I've heard of a guy who bought an acre of land in the middle of nowhere so he could claim ties to the state, and he got in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Or you could have a really solid reason for wanting to go there. I applied to one school that has the in-state-ties criteria and got an interview. Unfortunately, I had to cancel that interview. However, I never went to that state. ADCOM was happy with my explanation of why I would want to study/practice there.

Or you could have a really solid reason for wanting to go there. I applied to one school that has the in-state-ties criteria and got an interview. Unfortunately, I had to cancel that interview. However, I never went to that state. ADCOM was happy with my explanation of why I would want to study/practice there.

That's good to hear, I have a couple that are like that so maybe I will give them a shot. :)

Usually state ties infer that you have gone to school there at some point, established a domicile there in the past, have family or a spouse from there, served in their National Guard, resided in a bordering county, or have some reason why you'd want to practice there when you're finished.

What I've always found puzzling is that the presumed outsiders have a greater burden of proof for demonstrating that they want to practice there at the end of residency.

Usually state ties infer that you have gone to school there at some point, established a domicile there in the past, have family or a spouse from there, served in their National Guard, resided in a bordering county, or have some reason why you'd want to practice there when you're finished.

What I've always found puzzling is that the presumed outsiders have a greater burden of proof for demonstrating that they want to practice there at the end of residency.

I agree-it's an interesting assumption that all state residents would like to remain in the state. I know a ton of people who can't stand their hometowns and escape as soon as possible!

I explained close ties to one state by talking about relatives who lived there-my father's side of the family had a long history in the state, even though they've all since moved or passed away. The school accepted it as a legit reason. It was perhaps more on the tenuous side of "state ties" but I guess it really depends on what they're looking for.

Last year I applied to a school where I have specific ties. All of my aunts and uncles (except 1) live there or the metro area, their kids too (my cousins, except 2) many, many friends, it's where my parents were born, and where their parents lived so seeing grandma and grandpa over 20+ years gives a high level of familiarity, and despite not living in the state anymore, my parents wanted me to be born there so a few weeks before my mom was due with me she went there so I too would be born there, and thus always connected.

But for those without such connections in general I think they are ideally looking for a support system or a feeling of familiarity such that moving to this area is less of an adjustment (that is beyond the obviously big adjustment of going to med school).