Stats of Applicants to Irish schools and Acceptance, Waitlist or Rejection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm also in the same position! Except I'm waiting to apply to Australia!! They give out interviews in August and notify people of their decision in October...

The only problem with UCC is the tuition costs!!! For a Canadian, it will cost 58,000 alone!!
If this is not a problem for you, i think you definitely should go for it!! It's Ireland!!! :luck::luck: I have only heard great things, even though it will be difficult for us to secure a competitive residency!!

Did you apply early to the American schools?

I've just received an acceptance letter dated February 22 from UCC for their GEP. Not sure whether to accept (and hence place a deposit) or forgo this opportunity and wait to hear from other schools! Anyone else in this position?

Members don't see this ad.

It's a mighty sum to pay, and in my opinion, not justified by the quality of education or reputation. The major reason I am looking to turn down the offer is because I would have to depend on my parents financially during those four years (even with all the student loans I could possibly get).

My AMCAS application was submitted August 26 or so and I am now being punished for it.

Not necessarily ...
You can always take out a line of credit (150Gs in Canada) .. and you get 4 months off out of the year, which I would recommend that you work during it. That will help pay your living costs each year. It isn't so bad... and you wouldn't need to depend on your parents if you looked into loans and a line of credit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Brownie ... Sorry to hear that ... did you do a lot of volunteer work? Just wondering why they might've cut you since your highschool grades seem pretty high, 89% right?

Brownie ... Sorry to hear that ... did you do a lot of volunteer work? Just wondering why they might've cut you since your highschool grades seem pretty high, 89% right?

Hey,
Yes I have done a lot of volunteer work. I have volunteered at a hosptial for 3 years. My average was around 86%. Not sure why, but I've herd that they are taking less students straight out of highschool now.

Hopefully I get in with UCD or any of the RCSI's. Wish me luck!
I am also planning to take out the student line of credit of 150g's, rest I have saved up!! All I want now is that acceptace package at my front door ASAP:rolleyes:

Goodluck to you all!

Brownie, no disrespect to your volunteer experience .. but if everyone has hospital-related volunteer experience -then only your grades will set you apart. You know what I mean? I think other things like traveling and volunteering abroad or working in poor clinics or something totally different will peak attention. If you don't get in this year, try something like that for next time. My girlfriend was the same, working in a hospital setting only.. didn't get in. Then she traveled to Nepal and volunteered there for 3 months... and she got an interview the next time! I think those kind of experiences really turn heads and set you apart from everyone else.

I will be rooting for you, we are in the same boat.. 2 rejections from the same universities!...but remember if all fails this time... there's always next time 'round :)

Brownie, no disrespect to your volunteer experience .. but if everyone has hospital-related volunteer experience -then only your grades will set you apart. You know what I mean? I think other things like traveling and volunteering abroad or working in poor clinics or something totally different will peak attention. If you don't get in this year, try something like that for next time. My girlfriend was the same, working in a hospital setting only.. didn't get in. Then she traveled to Nepal and volunteered there for 3 months... and she got an interview the next time! I think those kind of experiences really turn heads and set you apart from everyone else.

I will be rooting for you, we are in the same boat.. 2 rejections from the same universities!...but remember if all fails this time... there's always next time 'round :)

Hey,
That was just my basic volunteer. I have volunteered abroad in India etc. On the other hand I am currently studying at UBC sciences and will continue and complete my BSc there, then apply to medicine in Canada. I am just trying to go straight like we all are. If I get in, scoreeee!!! or else i'll be trying again next year.

Thanks for the tips I will continue my volunteering abroad etc.

Goodluck to you too!

It's a mighty sum to pay, and in my opinion, not justified by the quality of education or reputation....

My AMCAS application was submitted August 26 or so and I am now being punished for it.

It's a lot to pay but if you're waiting for AMCAS schools, you'll be paying $40-50k at US schools as a Canadian. Less than UCC tuition but then you might not get into a US school. Always the same gamble.

As for reputation and quality of education, you can trash UCC as a prospective student but you're on slightly shaky ground, especially if you're basing your quality assessment on posts in this forum. Have you been to Cork? Who's to say which school is worth what (they all seem overpriced to me). The bottom line is what you know in the end and how you match. Go ahead and give up your spot for someone who might be satisfied with the subpar quality and reputation here at UCC. I'm relishing the overpriced crap I'm getting here and the fact that I'll be a doctor in a little more than a year.

Hey atossa and imagerie,

I was just wondering what mailing option you chose from abp? Did you choose the option where it charges your bank account for fedex? If so, did the charge show up in your account before you received the letter?

Thank you:luck:

Hey atossa and imagerie,

I was just wondering what mailing option you chose from abp? Did you choose the option where it charges your bank account for fedex? If so, did the charge show up in your account before you received the letter?

Thank you:luck:

lol same Q...abt the visa account showing 33$ if u get accepted.
that way i can check for my med school acceptance in my visa account!

"walmart XYZ $29.72
groceries $ 47.97
medical school ....................priceless" (well $33 :laugh:)

lol.. I want to know that answer too! Between neurotically checking the mail and my bank account for any charges I've come to realize I have no PATIENCE! Glad I'm not the only one who is "going insane". :luck:

Here is the answer you are looking for:

I got the letter on Thursday February 28 and billed on my visa on the same day!

lol.. I want to know that answer too! Between neurotically checking the mail and my bank account for any charges I've come to realize I have no PATIENCE! Glad I'm not the only one who is "going insane". :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Torontonerd you are hilarious!!! and yes I think most of us are going insane in the membrane....

so i'm guessing we're not getting any e-mail notifications as to whether we're accepted or not??

i only applied for UCD this year, and i'm kind of kicking myself for it now
:p

Last edited:
Ok, it is offical, I am tired of waiting. Still nothing from the 5 schools I applied too... Lets go ABP it is time to get FedExing or emailing for I can stop fixating about Irish schools... :p

I second that motion.

No kidding, it's a long wait. At least you haven't heard from all of the schools - must be a good sign:) ...

I spoke to Mr. Keenan and he told me that UCD and NUIG haven't even send out offers of acceptance yet, and apparently I wasn't in their first round of rejections. He said they start sending out offers late March/early April - and will send out offers as well as rejections - as late as September!

Brace yourself ... the wait may be longer :) Good luck.

Anyone else getting paranoid that the post-man is purposely withholding an acceptance? I swear, I saw a smirk today as I saw him pull away...

hahaha, isn't the post man carrying rejection letters?? and Fedex has the acceptance ones? Just wondering? No offense to anyone.

Haha, at this point I am fine with both. Also yes, according to ppl on sdn the rejections come via email or normal post.

With some interviews lined up back at home the additional uncertainty provided by my Irish apps is only a cherry on top of the mounds of other distracting med school anxieties. :oops: At this point just give it to me, bad or good.

Haha, at this point I am fine with both. Also yes, according to ppl on sdn the rejections come via email or normal post.

With some interviews lined up back at home the additional uncertainty provided by my Irish apps is only a cherry on top of the mounds of other distracting med school anxieties. :oops: At this point just give it to me, bad or good.

Congrats on the interviews Giant Axon! Hope they go well for you.

Anyone else noticing the Canada Post trucks all over the city these days? I'm dreaming that maybe, just maybe, one of them is carrying an acceptance for me (I didn't opt for FedEx mailing of acceptances on my app'n). These poor guys must think I'm crazy when I wave to them from my bus stop especially the ones who look behind them before they wave back so hesitantly.

I was just wondering for those who have already been accepted and rejected, what dates were your files complete? I've read that if you apply later in the cycle you are at the bottom of the pile, so not hearing anything yet may not necessarily be indicative of something good. Just curious if that is true.
Thanks for your response!

I was just wondering for those who have already been accepted and rejected, what dates were your files complete? I've read that if you apply later in the cycle you are at the bottom of the pile, so not hearing anything yet may not necessarily be indicative of something good. Just curious if that is true.
Thanks for your response!

thats a good Q...im pretty sure though that late applicants = late rejections/acceptance, the other way makes no sense..and is unfair to "earlybirds". mine was probably the last application to enter mr.keenans mailbox, so i can be the control for this study :hardy:
when i asked mr.keenan whether my late app will affect my chances....he said "no"...but i dunno if that meant " no it won't affect ur chances of getting in" ORRRRR "u can apply 10 years in advance with ur stats and ur chance will still be 0" lol
p.s guys....im gonna start a new thread "waiting for the mailmain"(seeing as this is the most active thread here)..it'd be nice to leave this thread for just stats involving gpas etc

My country of citizenship is: Canada
Finished: H.BMSc in Microbiology and Immunology
Currently studying: Finishing final year of H.BMSc in Biochemistry
My GPA is: 3.4 / 4.00 (M and I) 3.8/4.0 (Biochem)
My MCAT Scores were:
2006:: PS: 10 VR: 9 BS: 12 WS: P = 31P

I applied to:
Irish: Trinity, NUIG, RCSI, UCC, UCD

I was accepted at: RCSI
I was waitlisted at: no word yet
I was interviewed at: RCSI (march 4 in toronto)
I was rejected from: no word yet

My first choice: RCSI (100% match rate for NA residencies)
I have applied to medical schools this many times: 2 (1st only Canadian schools...wait listed at UWO)

Any other Canadians heading to RCSI drop me a line....

I was accepted to their 6 year program in Ireland. But I take it that since you have a degree it was the 4 year program that you were accepted into.

Congrats anyways.

Oh Im in high school in Vancouver, BC.

Hey Canuck,
Im also from Vancouver!! What was your highschool gpa that u applied with? Where did u get accepted? What other volunteering experience do you have?

Thanks

Don't have a "Gpa" per se, but my average in grade 12 was around 85. I have volunteer experiences in hospitals and elderly care centers, as well with kids in summer camps (for what it's worth). I applied to UCD, Trinity, and RCSI, and haven't heard back from the first two, but found out the other day that I was accepted at RCSI after my interview in chicago. How bout you?

Wow,
that makes me feel so good. My average is in the same ball park. Maybe 86%. I have done the same amount of volunteering etc. I volunteer at a hospital and at about 5 different charities. But i haven't been given a interview??? I applied before Nov.11th? Maybe Im in the next batch!! PLEASE!!

Thanks for your reply,
Just made my day better.

Thanks

Don't have a "Gpa" per se, but my average in grade 12 was around 85. I have volunteer experiences in hospitals and elderly care centers, as well with kids in summer camps (for what it's worth). I applied to UCD, Trinity, and RCSI, and haven't heard back from the first two, but found out the other day that I was accepted at RCSI after my interview in chicago. How bout you?

Just got the good word on RCSI for the 4 yr program...

Finished: H.BSc Biomed
Currently studying: MSc. Biomed
My GPA is: 3.6 / 4.0 (undergrad)
My MCAT Scores were:
2007:: PS: 9 VR: 11 BS: 12 WS: Q = 32Q

I applied to: Trinity, RCSI, UCC, UCD

I was accepted at: RCSI
I was waitlisted at: nothing yet
I was interviewed at: RCSI (march 4 in toronto)
I was rejected from: nothing yet

My first choice: UCC (lower cost of living), RCSI :luck:
I have applied to medical schools this many times: 2 (1st time just Canadian schools - pure rejections)

Hey Spshooter - as long as I can get over the price tag for RCSI, I'll probably be seeing you in the fall, congrats :thumbup:

I know the price of RCSI is huge ~69,000 just for tuition but the other schools are not that far behind (58,000 from what I've read). I just hope there are no road blocks when it comes to residency matching. Where do you plan to do residency?

Ireland is this hard to get into?? People with 3.5+ GPA abd 30+ MCAT scores are going there. Those stats seem to be very compatible with US Med schools. What is the Average MCAT score for Ireland?

Thanks

Ireland is this hard to get into?? People with 3.5+ GPA abd 30+ MCAT scores are going there. Those stats seem to be very compatible with US Med schools. What is the Average MCAT score for Ireland?

Thanks

I remember asking this question to the ABP office in California a while back. I was told that as long as you got a 30, then you stood a substantial chance. If your MCAT was less than a 30, then the rest of your application needed to be strong.

Hence why I'm taking the MCAT again.

Hey I just got the FED-EX from ABP today and I was accepted at UCC! It was for the 4-year program.

I'm from: Toronto, Ontario
Currently studying: Finished undergrad in Biochem
At this University: McMaster University
My GPA is: Undergrad 3.2
My MCAT Scores were: 34Q (Physical Sciences: 10 ,Verbal: 13,
Biological Sciences: 11 Writing Sample: Q)

I applied to: Trinity, UCD, UCC, Most Canadian schools (except the ones that don't consider MCAT scores)

I was accepted at: UCC (wow it feels good to finally be able to put something here!)
I was waitlisted at: Waiting
I was rejected from: Trinity, all other Canadian schools except Western

My first choice school is: University of Western Ontario (UWO)

No word yet from UCD for me, but I'll take UCC no problem! Nontheless I have an interview this weekend at Western, and mainly cause of the pricetag for Ireland and the shot for more competitive residencies within Canada by going to a Canadian school I'm still hoping it comes through. (Sucks I have to pay the deposit though, but as its my third time applying in Canada, I don't wanna waste anymore time).

Congrats to all of you guys! Just wondering if you have to sign for the fedex package or if they just leave it at your doorstep?

Thanks!

Hey I just got the FED-EX from ABP today and I was accepted at UCC! It was for the 4-year program.

I'm from: Toronto, Ontario
Currently studying: Finished undergrad in Biochem
At this University: McMaster University
My GPA is: Undergrad 3.2
My MCAT Scores were: 34Q (Physical Sciences: 10 ,Verbal: 13,
Biological Sciences: 11 Writing Sample: Q)

I applied to: Trinity, UCD, UCC, Most Canadian schools (except the ones that don't consider MCAT scores)

I was accepted at: UCC (wow it feels good to finally be able to put something here!)
I was waitlisted at: Waiting
I was rejected from: Trinity, all other Canadian schools except Western

My first choice school is: University of Western Ontario (UWO)

No word yet from UCD for me, but I'll take UCC no problem! Nontheless I have an interview this weekend at Western, and mainly cause of the pricetag for Ireland and the shot for more competitive residencies within Canada by going to a Canadian school I'm still hoping it comes through. (Sucks I have to pay the deposit though, but as its my third time applying in Canada, I don't wanna waste anymore time).
Congratulations jay! hopefully western works out for u...but still UCC :thumbup::thumbup:
i dunno why, but i think my preference is cork as compared to dublin... i suppose its gotta do with the fact that i have been in toronto too long..cork's nice and small =D
btw around when did u send in ur application?
what were ur extracurrics like??
if you decide to accept, cud u pls keep us up with the financial aspect...which bank ur going to ...what do they want, what r the rules etc etc :rolleyes:
cheers:D

Congratulations jay! hopefully western works out for u...but still UCC :thumbup::thumbup:
i dunno why, but i think my preference is cork as compared to dublin... i suppose its gotta do with the fact that i have been in toronto too long..cork's nice and small =D
btw around when did u send in ur application?
what were ur extracurrics like??
if you decide to accept, cud u pls keep us up with the financial aspect...which bank ur going to ...what do they want, what r the rules etc etc :rolleyes:
cheers:D

For sure I will keep you guys updated. BTW the package from ABP comes with info on getting the CanHELP loan and Canada Student loans. It also recommends RBC as the best source for line of credit ($150,000 on your own signature if you have a good credit history it says). Luckily I have been working this year, while living at home so I have enough saved away to pay the deposit, I won't worry about the loans and line of credit until I'm all done with the Western interview.

Well i think first of all my MCAT score helped to offset my GPA cause from what I've read on the boards Cork weighs the MCAT more heavily than the other Irish schools. I do have a bunch of different things for EC's though. Spent about 1 month volunteering overseas. Volunteered over two years combined in hospitals (ICU when I was at Mac, and 7 months at Toronto Western Hospital in the Medical Imaging dept). I did a 5 year co-op degree so I completed two research work terms while in school, one 7 month work term at the University of Iowa and one 7 month work term in a lab at Mac. No publications as of yet, but I did have two posters presented at research conferences. These were both basic research projects on Huntington's disease. Finally, my current job for the past 6 months has been with a pharmaceutical company doing clinical research. Also though my cumulative GPA is low, my last two years shot up to a 3.7 on OMSAS scale (hence my interview with Western, though I'm not sure if Irish schools put any extra weight into the last two years?). Oh, I sent in my application by the Nov. deadline. So, if you guys missed the first deadline hopefully it just means you haven't heard anything as yet because its taking them longer to evaluate the app.

I apparently have some friends who know friends who are at Cork. I'll try to get a hold of them and see what info I can glean and post it here.

yea ur extra currics are amazing! someone from cork did tell me that they look for well roundedness. i volunteered at western hosp. as well...i still do! lol i was in med imaging for 2 months back in feb march last year (while i was waiting for emergency unit position) its been almost 3 years there for me now
i dont have much research experience, i jus volunteer in a lab, but i have been doing hosp volunteering and shadowing for years now ..hopefully they see my commitment rather than my gpa lol
thnks for the info...keep us updated on western =D

Hey!,

Any new acceptances for UCD or RCSI?? How much longer will it take. I'm impressed at all the Ec's people have. Good Job!!

Hopefully we all get in!!!

UCD HURRRRY!!

hey u guys!

i've been reading through everyones posts n it seems like all the schools have gone through their first round already? Do any of you guys know when the second round starts?

I've applied to UCD, UCC, RCSI, Trinity, RCSI Bahrain...
So far i've been rejected from RSCI, and UCC.

Is there still a good chance of being accepted into the others? :S

... so far, I have only been rejected by RCSI.

The other ABP schools don't conduct interviews and just send out acceptances starting in March/April ???

I haven't received any interview invites for other ABP schools.

hey u guys!

i've been reading through everyones posts n it seems like all the schools have gone through their first round already? Do any of you guys know when the second round starts?

I've applied to UCD, UCC, RCSI, Trinity, RCSI Bahrain...
So far i've been rejected from RSCI, and UCC.

Is there still a good chance of being accepted into the others? :S
well that depends on ur stats. since these schools assess you independantly(so we are told) theres no reason to assume 2 rejections mean 5 rejections ;)
no one here knows exactly what they look for or why they reject, except in obvious cases so dont give up hope.

rejected from NUIG via email ... sigh.

UCD left.

Does anyone know what are the chances of getting a spot in the second round offers for UCC / Trinity / Galway ?

Significant amount of students get second round offers? Or small #?

rejected from NUIG via email ... sigh.

UCD left.
hey medgirl, sorry to hear ab NUIG.did u get it today? i hope UCD works out for ya =)

i dunno abt the # of students getting second round offers, but i wud suppose the acceptance to rejection ratio wud be higher in second round, cuz more rejections(of reviewed apps ofc) wud be done in first round.

Hi!

Jus wondering if anyone here appliedto RCSI Bahrain?
Accepted?Rejected??
Im a pharm grad from SA!