Stats of Applicants to Irish schools and Acceptance, Waitlist or Rejection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just called GALWAY directly and they told me that my application is not successful and ABP will be notified of it soon.

The reason : my GPA is not 3.8 or above, which is, according to this lady, the first cut-off criteria for this year.

Somehow, I don't believe that because there are people who've gotten in with a GPA lower than 3.8

Members don't see this ad.

3.8 ehhh lol no wonder i got rejected too..i hope ucc ucd and tcd dont share this discriminatory attitude towards us low gpa-ers lol

I just called GALWAY directly and they told me that my application is not successful and ABP will be notified of it soon.

The reason : my GPA is not 3.8 or above, which is, according to this lady, the first cut-off criteria for this year.

Somehow, I don't believe that because there are people who've gotten in with a GPA lower than 3.8

Yeah, did you ask UCD, UCC and the others if they share this sentiment? I thought that schools in Ireland no longer considered gpa after people got a 75%.

Members don't see this ad :)
they have to still rank you somehow, and GPA ranking would be the less subjective than comparing experiences/well-roundedness

Yeah, did you ask UCD, UCC and the others if they share this sentiment? I thought that schools in Ireland no longer considered gpa after people got a 75%.

I can say for sure that UCC doesn't. My cumulative GPA is only like 3.2, even with best two years its only 3.7...though I did have a high MCAT score so it may have compensated for it. But, as far as I know UCC is the only school that takes the MCAT as a requirement.

I can say for sure that UCC doesn't. My cumulative GPA is only like 3.2, even with best two years its only 3.7...though I did have a high MCAT score so it may have compensated for it. But, as far as I know UCC is the only school that takes the MCAT as a requirement.

RCSI consider MCAT or GAMSAT as entry requirements for their 4-year programme.

I remember reading that UCD takes a look at the old MCAT scores as well.

I'm almost positive they look at everything! MCAT, GPA and ECA. Its a safe assumption that you'll be competitive in Ireland if you're competitive at most schools in the US and borderline or better in Canada. If you're not then you are not that competitive, since people who have those attributes do apply. You may get lucky but it's not a cake wake like the Carribean schools who pretty much accept anyone who finished a degree and wrote the MCAT.

If you don't belive me just look at the posts of people who have gotten in...

MCAT's range from 30-38
GPA's range from 3.2-4.0 (but bestyears/science GPA will be better than 3.2)
EC will be broad

Good luck to those of you who are still waiting and remember that the Carrib Schools are still open for business....

I'm from: NYC, USA
My country of citizenship is: USA
Previously studying: Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology
At this University:Univ. of CO, Boulder
My GPA is: 3.11
Previously studying: Biology
At this University:New York University
My GPA is: 3.9
My MCAT Scores were: Physical Sciences: 09 Verbal: 11
Biological Sciences: 12 Written Sample: P

(Two years in an immunology lab, one summer of clinical research producing 3 abstracts, college tutoring, ER volunteer, ect.)
I applied to: Trinity, UCD, RCSI
I was accepted at: RCSI
I was waitlisted at:
I was rejected from:

I am attending: RCSI
I have applied to medical schools this many times: 1

Hey everyone! I'm currently in first year at Trinity and absolutely loving it!! (so if you get accepted to Trinity....accept, accept, accept!)

I just wanted to wish everyone luck and give you guys a head's up. From what I have heard from my NA classmates and other ABP applicants, students will only receive acceptance from ONE of the schools (that is, if you even get accepted). So, if you have been accepted, it is likely that it is your only acceptance. Weird system, but I guess it makes the decision for you!

I don't come on here very often, but if you guys have any questions about Dublin, the schools, etc, feel free to PM me!

GOOD LUCK!!

Still no response to UCD / Galway / Trinity

Not rejected by any of them.
But also not accepted by any of them either.

I got my letter from Trinity 2 days ago, but they actually told me via e-mail 3 days ago (I sent an email asking).

I'm excited but mostly worried about tuition/other costs...

Members don't see this ad :)
my GPA is 3.60, McGill Physiology.

hmmm anyone reading this been rejected from ucd yet? i jus read on another thread that ucd actually hasn't sent out any rejections yet?? anyone here email mr keenan about ucd and was told that they were rejected? please let me know.. thanks in advance :)

i didn't say they haven't send out ANY rejections.

i would assume they have denied incomplete applications or the ones that are significantly weaker than the rest.

either way, they are sending out the rest / bulk of rejections starting next week.

I'm not an international student but sure what the heck :)

I'm from: Herts, UK
My country of citizenship is: Ireland
Currently studying: Working as a care assistant
At this University: ---
My GPA is: ---
My MCAT Scores were: ---

I applied to: RCSI, UCD, PMS, KCL, UEA, Glasgow
I was accepted at: PMS
I was waitlisted at: ---
I was rejected from: KCL, UEA, Glasgow

My first choice school is: RCSI

I have applied to medical schools this many times: Three, though technically five to eleven schools

Hi all,

I am from Vancouver Canada and Graduated from Uvic with a BSc. majoring in Biology-genetics. My over all GPA was 7.8 on the 9 point scale(about 3.75-3.8 i think) and my GPA for me final two years was 8.1 (3.85-3.9)
My MCAT score from Sep 2007 was
Phys 10
Verbal 11
Bio 13
Writing P
34P

I applied to UBC, U of Alberta, U of Calgary, RCSI and UCD

Acepted: RCSI, UCD 4 year programs

Rejected UBC, U of A

waiting on U of C

First Choice U Of Calgary. Do not know if I will go to RCSI if I do not get into Calgary. I paid the deposit though...a lot of money...

has anyone got an interview scheduled or heard anything about any upcoming west coast interviews for RCSI???

Hey
I have a interview coming up at the end of the month. Its in toronto.
Wish me luck!!!!!:luck:

has anyone got an interview scheduled or heard anything about any upcoming west coast interviews for RCSI???

I know the price of RCSI is huge ~69,000 just for tuition but the other schools are not that far behind (58,000 from what I've read). I just hope there are no road blocks when it comes to residency matching. Where do you plan to do residency?

I know the residency matching is a risk back in Canada - but I'm a little reassured by the fact that a friend of mine just graduated from UCC and matched first round to his top choice, UofT family medicine. He also forwarded me a pretty nice list of other Canadians who managed to match first round back home...so I'm pretty optomistic for now!

As for me, I'm hoping to do my residency back here in Ontario, preferably at Toronto or McMaster family med - but who's to say 4 years from now?? For now I'll just hand over the money (while crying, just a little) and go from there :cool:

I'm from: ontario
My country of citizenship is: canada
Currently studying: highschool
At this school: mentor college
My GPA is:
My MCAT Scores were: Physical Sciences: Verbal:
Biological Sciences: Written Sample:

I applied to: UCD, RCSI
I was accepted at: RCSI
I was waitlisted at: (Trinity, UCD, RCSI, UCC, NUIG)
I was rejected from: (Trinity, UCD, RCSI, UCC, NUIG)

My first choice school is: RCSI

I have applied to medical schools this many times: this is my first time

I'm from: BC
My country of citizenship is: Canada
Currently studying: Graduated May 2006 BSc, Animal Biology
My GPA is: 81%
MCAT Score: 31Q

I applied to: UCD, RCSI, Trinity
I was accepted at: RCSI (GEP)
I was waitlisted at: none
I was rejected from: UCD, haven't heard from Trinity

My first choice is: RCSI

I have applied to medical schools this many times: 2 (first time in Ireland)
I got no interviews in Canada but was also accepted in the Caribbean (SGU, Ross and SABA)

03 June accepted UCD - 4yr program

School : McGill University (graduated Jan08)
GPA : 3.4
MCAT : none, didn't take it.
... sounds like other students are so much more qualified, GPA/MCAT wise, but I am confident that I got in because of my solid extracurricular and creative personal statement letter.

Applied : RSCI / Trinity / UCD / UCC / NUI
Rejected : RSCI

* haven't heard from any other schools

QUESTIONS :

Canadian students, how are you guys financing the whole education/living expense? I don't have co-signers for bank loans, so I'm in deep sht. How am I supposed to find 350K ???

PLEASE CONTACT ME, FELLOW UCD08 STUDENTS

Cheers

good news for those who're still waiting for UCD.

unless i win the lottery in the next 3 weeks, i can't find $350k to go.

i feel like ripping myself up into pieces. i've been wanting to study in ireland since high school, it was a dream then and it's still a dream now.

there'll be a spot opened up for you guys.
good luck everyone.

Hey,

For those of you waitlisted at RCSI, good news. I was accepted into the RCSI GEP (via the Atlantic Bridge Program), paid my deposit, but have been unable to obtain the bank loans necessary for me to pay the full tuition. I gave up my spot in the RCSI GEP, Class of 2012 :( I don''t know what my future plans are, probably working and trying to improve my credit and future med school applications. Anyways, good luck to all of you going to Ireland in the fall, and also to those who aren't.

Hey ppl! i decided to not accept my UCC offer. so i suppose one more student will get lucky. UQ hasn't officially responded yet, but im hoping it works..cuz i dont have 4000 euros to waste
Good luck to the waitlisted =D

ohhh, well..finally, just on the UCC deadline date i have verbal confirmation(email actually) from UQ's intl. manager Cecile, saying that I m accepted to UQ and that I should be getting my package in 10 days for so from today =D lol i hope they dont take 3 weeks...not that it matters ne more...i have my loans in order, so all thats left now is dreamin abt my first scuba dive =) ;)

Hey Guys! I have been reading about financial situations of the students and how to apply for loans on the this forum. I go to RCSI, Bahrain campus and the tuition there is lower (due to lower cost of living), however, the tuition is still pretty high. The way I am financing this is going through Scotiabank bank and its called student professional line of credit. They only give this loan if you are going to medical school or other programs I believe. Anyhow, the best part about the loan is that I dont have to pay interest per month and I dont have to worry about paying the loan back until AFTER my residency. However, the interest is accrued, but I figured that by that time, we should be earning enough money. You need a co-signer for this, but, the way the co-signer works is the following: it is still entirely your loan, but if for some reason you can not pay back after residency, then co-signer has to pay it. I figured that we should be making enough money to pay it off after residency anywas, so I dont think there will be any difficulty. Anyhow, good luck you guys in getting accepted. Thus far, the education system through Ireland is great and I am very happy with the education being delievered!

Hey guys!

I'm from: Montreal, and Romania
Currently studying: Working as a admi. assistant; and EMT
Studied At this University: McGill
My GPA is: 3.1 (Undergrad) 3.47 (Grad)
My MCAT Scores were: 24O 1st attempt; and 28N 2nd attempt

I applied to: Ontario and Quebec, and NY (2007 & 2008 entry)
I was accepted at: ---
I was rejected from: everywhere

My first choice school is: anywhere

I have applied to medical schools this many times: 2:scared:, this will be my 3rd time and I will be applying to Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Ireland:luck:, US, and as a last resort the Caribbean....I am goign aggressively about it!!!

Anybody think I have any chance in hell for Ireland for the 2009 entry!!?? Any glimpse of hope or even harsh truth (to spare me some money) would be highly regarded and appreciated!:oops:

Sooo...
I finally got word from Trinity...And I got my acceptance Package in the mail on July 23rd!!! =) I was prettyyy excited to say the least....

I am graduating Aug. 1st, 2008 with a B.S in Cytotechnology from the University of North Dakota.
Cumulative GPA: 3.7
Phlebotomy experience, and also did research in a genetics lab. Also had one full year of practicum in the lab for Cytotech. =)

This is my first time applying to medical schools...
Applied to: TCD, RCSI, Galway, UCC, UCD, MUA, Saba
I was accepted to: TCD, Saba, and MUA
Rejected from all of the rest.

I will be attending: TRINITY!! =)

So excited! :D

Several of the Irish schools seem to downplay the MCAT score (Trinity for example). I would think you have a good shot.

Hey guys!

I'm from: Montreal, and Romania
Currently studying: Working as a admi. assistant; and EMT
Studied At this University: McGill
My GPA is: 3.1 (Undergrad) 3.47 (Grad)
My MCAT Scores were: 24O 1st attempt; and 28N 2nd attempt

I applied to: Ontario and Quebec, and NY (2007 & 2008 entry)
I was accepted at: ---
I was rejected from: everywhere

My first choice school is: anywhere

I have applied to medical schools this many times: 2:scared:, this will be my 3rd time and I will be applying to Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Ireland:luck:, US, and as a last resort the Caribbean....I am goign aggressively about it!!!

Anybody think I have any chance in hell for Ireland for the 2009 entry!!?? Any glimpse of hope or even harsh truth (to spare me some money) would be highly regarded and appreciated!:oops:

Several of the Irish schools seem to downplay the MCAT score (Trinity for example). I would think you have a good shot.

THANK YOU jnuts!!! you have no idea the smiley you put on my face especially 2 days before the applications come out :) I am sitting on needles and now have a glimpse of hope.

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAAYYAYAYAYAYAY! :love::luck:

I'm from: USA
My country of citizenship is: USA
Currently studying: Biology & Premed studies
At this University: Virginia Tech
My GPA is: cGPA=3.81 sGPA=3.87
My MCAT Scores were: Physical Sciences: 8 Verbal: 7
Biological Sciences: 7 Written Sample: M
Extracurriculars: medical volunteering, shadowing, and research

Applying to all the 4 year programs!!!

My first choice school is: RCSI (Grad program)

I have applied to medical schools this many times: 1

Hey guys congrats to all those who got in. Just wondering if I even stand a chance in Ireland or is it a waste to apply. I am only looking at the 4 year programs as I will have completed a B.Sc. I was also wondering UCD needs the MCAT for its four year? Thanks!!

Last edited:
I know this is foolish of me to say this but I want to get this off my chest.

I am very envious of you guys, those who can afford a few hundred thousand dollars and attend oversea medical schools.

It has been my dream to attend UCD (for its MD + disabilities study/research) since I was in grade 8.

Got accepted but just can't find ways to pay the $75k+ / yr.

really envious.

" If I had a million dollars "

I know this is foolish of me to say this but I want to get this off my chest.

I am very envious of you guys, those who can afford a few hundred thousand dollars and attend oversea medical schools.

It has been my dream to attend UCD (for its MD + disabilities study/research) since I was in grade 8.

Got accepted but just can't find ways to pay the $75k+ / yr.

really envious.

" If I had a million dollars "

Maserati, none of us really "have" the money but our passion will pull us through...for me....as long as I get in I am happy I will find the money somehow!!!!

Oscar Wilde said: "People that live within their means lack imagination" I totally agree !!!!! :luck:

Loans all the way baby + some savings + some help from family

Last edited:
Maserati

I will be attending Trinity this fall but will be using loans for the entire five years to pay for tuition and living expenses. Are you not able to get loans?

Loans my friend are the only way, and yes they will stump your salary for the rest of your life and yes you may not live the country club lifestyle of the typical doctor because you have tremendous college loans. But you will have enjoyed your twenties going to a medical school that you loved and saw what is truly good in medicine. As to respond to getting loans every one can qualify. My brother in law came for a very poor family and had terrible credit after his undergraduate years...he still persevered. He ended up signing up for a life insurance policy for 1 million dollars with a monthly payment of around $50 US and signed over his policy to the bank that provided the loans as a deposit.

So it is I that am envious of YOU...those who have been accepted to their dream school, what more could you ask for, where there is a will there is a way. Money may be an obstacle for you but so was getting into medical school and conquered that. Good Luck

Maserati, none of us really "have" the money but our passion will pull us through...for me....as long as I get in I am happy I will find the money somehow!!!!

Oscar Wilde said: "People that live within their means lack imagination" I totally agree !!!!! :luck:

Not to be pessimistic ... but, I was excited and thrilled about the opportunity, exactly like you a few months ago.

I said to myself " I will find the money." Then it became apparent that when it comes to $$$, you HAVE to live within your means. You can't use your imagination to pay $350k for med school.

And of course I have tried every possible route. Every option that I had, even asking friends' parents to donate. But without co-signers, I can't get the 150k. Of course I have tried all the financial options accessible to my family and I.

Hello all,

Anyone out there apply in April and have success for the following fall? I am shooting for the 4-year graduate programs. Thanks

Is there anyone out there that hasn't heard from UCD yet? I know I'm probably rejected at this point, but I haven't heard either way :(

You're probably on a wait list. In my year, I heard nothing until getting admitted on the 18th of August. Contact Atlantic Bridge and ask about your status.

The ABP says they know nothing does anyone have a contact email for UCD?

Hey abeasock,

You're not alone. I'm still waiting on any news from UCD and Trinity. Until now all I received was a Galway rejection. ABP says that I'm on a waitlist. My whole summer was ruined waiting for them...I wish they'll just tell me something...And Unch, it feels good to know that ppl got accepted that late in august, it gives me some hope after all.

I'm from: Alberta, Canada
Currently studying: Have a B.Sc. and am currently working
My GPA is: 3.42 AMCAS
My MCAT Scores were: Physical Sciences: 09 Verbal: 12
Biological Sciences: 12 Written Sample: Q

I applied to: University of Calgary, UBC, some schools in the US and all GEP programs except for Limerick
Interviewed at: University of Calgary, Wayne State
I was accepted at: UCC so far, will attend if I don't get into the University of Calgary
I was waitlisted at: Wayne State
I was rejected from: only UBC so far

My first choice school is: the University of Calgary

I have applied to medical schools this many times:First time!

I'm from: Ontario, Canada
Currently studying: Have a B.Sc. and am currently volunteering in lab, extra courses
My GPA is: 3.44 U of T standard
My MCAT Scores were: Physical Sciences: 12 Verbal: 8
Biological Sciences: 11 Written Sample: R

I applied to: All Irish schools outside of Galway, 12 US schools, a number of others
Interviewed at: Wayne State, St. Georges University
I was accepted at: St. George's University (Granada), UCD
I was waitlisted at: Nowhere?
I was rejected from: Every US school except Wayne State, RCSI, and presumably the other Irish schools too

My first choice school is: Wayne State
Enrolling: SGU

I have applied to medical schools this many times: Second time, first time outside Canada

Last edited:
Currently studying: 4th Year of B.HSc
My GPA is: 3.3 (of the 3 years thus far) cumulative
My MCAT Scores were: Physical Sciences: 10 Verbal: 10 Biological Sciences: 11 Written Sample: P

I applied to: UCC, UCD, RCSI, Limerick, American & Canadian Schools
Interviewed at: St. Louis Medical School
I was accepted at: Nowhere so far
I was waitlisted at: Nowhere so far
I was rejected from: Canada, every US School except SLU and now UCC

My first choice school is: UCD/RCSI

First time applying to medical schools

My country of citizenship is: Canadian/US
Currently studying: BSCN nursing
My GPA is: 3.86
My MCAT Scores were: Writing the MCAT in April