Stay fit through medical school and residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FattySlug

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have only known personally 10 doctors in my life and none of them is in good shape. All of my friends who are in medical school are not fit either, albeit these guys have never been fit in their life. What is your plan to stay fit in medical school, residency and beyond?

With the demanding schedule, irregular sleeping and eating, it seems impossible to have any kinda exercise plan going. I mean regular people have trouble finding time to work out with 40hr work week. I guess with proper time management it is possible in medical school but how can residents do anything if they work 80hr/week?

I just saw a friend's photo and his gut was spilling over his jeans while sitting down. I would hate to see myself being like that in the next 10 yrs or so. I want to be the best doctor I can be but at the same time would like to keep my 6 pack for as long as possible.

Please share your insights and experiences.

Edit: Sorry, my definition of fit is not fat, active, play some sports regularly and not embarrassed to be seen shirtless, or naked :D for that matter, by a female.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What is "fit"? I have yet to meet an obese or even mildly overweight medical student. I've also never stepped foot in a gym in my life, besides in the ninth grade when it was mandatory. (Thanks for the skinny genes, mom and dad! -- Skinny genes, get it?)

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree. It's hard to find the time. I usually just run outside in the mornings to get it out of the way and it is less demanding than going to the gym (that just sounds like a big project for me.. grabbing my stuff, driving over there, getting intimidated by men who are lifting buildings, blah blah blah)

I remember my parents saying that during medical school and residency they would workout every other day either in the mornings on weekdays or evenings on weekends. It helped having someone workout out with you, it was a motivator. I guess it can be done if you're one to make time for it.

If you go to medical school at OHSU you can stay fit by riding your bike to and from work everyday. Those hills will give you the workout of your life. I personally know several doctors, fellows, residents, nurses, and other staff members that ride their bikes everyday and probably have a rockin' body underneath those baggy scrubs.

If you want to stay fit you can. I know plenty of people in med school who are fit and I know plenty that aren't.

My current clientele includes 3 prime examples:

1 60+ y/o ortho spine surgeon in busy PP- been working with him for ~2 years 3x a week. He's gotten very good results so far and would meet almost anyone's definition of fit. BW dead hang chins, 1.5x BW squat, <15% BF. He works 60+ hours a week and still gets in and trains hard.

1 mid 40s interventional cards guy who works in a hospital- been working with him for over a year. He's lean, muscular, and will be doing an Olympic lifting meet this Spring. Gets in with me 3x a week while working a ton.

1 early 30s peds sports med fellow- During his fellowship he finds time to train with me and he's in fantastic shape.

If you prioritize it you can do it. If you have to train more than 3x a week and are NOT a competitive athlete you're doing it wrong if you merely want to be fit. You can't out-train your nutrition.

EDIT: training during medical school should be cake, much more free time and theoretically less familial and professional obligations. No problem.

Last edited:
What is "fit"? I have yet to meet an obese or even mildly overweight medical student. I've also never stepped foot in a gym in my life, besides in the ninth grade when it was mandatory. (Thanks for the skinny genes, mom and dad! -- Skinny genes, get it?)

D_35a5e3a7bbc92e570993a1aafaa5ce89.jpg

You can do it if you want. I know a guy who would wake up at 2 in the morning and work out before going to his surgery rotation in his third year. I'll probably end up doing something like that as well. Also, good diet.

1 60+ y/o ortho spine surgeon in busy PP- been working with him for ~2 years 3x a week. He's gotten very good results so far and would meet almost anyone's definition of fit. BW dead hang chins, 1.5x BW squat, <15% BF. He works 60+ hours a week and still gets in and trains hard.

1 mid 40s interventional cards guy who works in a hospital- been working with him for over a year. He's lean, muscular, and will be doing an Olympic lifting meet this Spring. Gets in with me 3x a week while working a ton.

1 early 30s peds sports med fellow- During his fellowship he finds time to train with me and he's in fantastic shape.

If you prioritize it you can do it. If you have to train more than 3x a week and are NOT a competitive athlete you're doing it wrong if you merely want to be fit. You can't out-train your nutrition.

EDIT: training during medical school should be cake, much more free time and theoretically less familial and professional obligations. No problem.
Thanks for the info. I am a little more optimistic.

QFT. And bolded for more emphasis of truth. Your diet is what matters most (say ~70% of your body composition). And if you don't take the short cuts, hop up those 5 flights of stairs instead of the elevator or park farther away, you can work some extra fitness into your day.

LOL good luck brah. U finna gun get real nice and fat brah. thats why u finna gots to get yo self married before dat dere med skoo starts joe. U aint gunna have no time to do nothin once dey get u goin 23 hrs of class brah u finna aint gunna know yo head from a hole in da ground

QFT. And bolded for more emphasis of truth. Your diet is what matters most (say ~70% of your body composition). And if you don't take the short cuts, hop up those 5 flights of stairs instead of the elevator or park farther away, you can work some extra fitness into your day.

C'mon, bro. The extra 5 flights of stairs and and parking farther away will help you get fit? LULZ. Of course it's all about nutrition for body comp, not fitness....there is a difference. If you don't train you'll still look hell.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can do it if you want. I know a guy who would wake up at 2 in the morning and work out before going to his surgery rotation in his third year. I'll probably end up doing something like that as well. Also, good diet.

:eek: I intend to stay fit, eat well, and keep exercising during med school and all, but I think the exercise thing may get a bit compromised during my surgery rotation. That guy sounds hardcore dedicated. I would choose sleep.

168 hrs/wk - 80 hrs/wk of studying/working - 50 hrs/wk of sleep - 7 hrs/wk of sexy time = 74 hrs/wk to work out.

...I got a C in College Algebra, don't hate.

There are those of us who do maintain good fitness during med school. It's easy during M1 and 2 ( I actually managed to cram on another 10lbs of muscle second year). During M3 you really have to go out of your way to do it. I'm a third year right now and I mostly roll up to the gym and do short intense workouts + pick-up b-ball when I can. I do more during light clerkship and just try and maintain during the more time consuming ones.

Not many obese, but there are lots of out-of-shape, mildly overweight or whatever you want to call it types. Most weren't fit coming into med school so it's more of a par-for-the-course than a decline. Skinny =/= fit, btw.

Not many obese, but there are lots of out-of-shape, mildly overweight or whatever you want to call it types. Most weren't fit coming into med school so it's more of a par-for-the-course than a decline. Skinny =/= fit, btw.

Believe me, I know this, and am already preparing for an early death by Krispy Kreme overdose.

Many people will put on some version of the "freshman fifteen" during intern year. You will be eating poorly - often grabbing whatever is free, which means lots if high carbs and sweets from the resident lounges and breakfast meeting, will be up all night, throwing off your cortisol levels, and won't have as much time to work out regularly. Once you create these bad habits it's much harder to get back on track even when you do have time,

There are those of us who do maintain good fitness during med school. It's easy during M1 and 2 ( I actually managed to cram on another 10lbs of muscle second year). During M3 you really have to go out of your way to do it. I'm a third year right now and I mostly roll up to the gym and do short intense workouts + pick-up b-ball when I can. I do more during light clerkship and just try and maintain during the more time consuming ones.

The trick for M3 seems to be to bee-line for the gym once you get dismissed.

It's all mental. You can always find time.

Depending on what you're used to you may not have time. After getting into the groove of first year I was able to work out every day (which usually consists of ~45-60 minutes of weights and ~30 minutes of cardio). There are some days where I can't, but for the most part I don't have an issue finding time.

Second year is more time-intensive, but since it's still class-based I think it's possible. Good luck with third year.

I work 40 (usually plus) hours a week and still manage to do the gym at least 3 days per week and at least once per weekeend.

Don't hospitals usually provide basic fitness rooms for staff?

Time management. As a first year, I am able to find time and motivation to do it by scheduling it into my day. Class 8-10, library 10-2, gym right after, for example. If I keep workout clothes in my car I can go whenever there is free time. I have no idea what I'll do in 3rd year and residency, but at least we'll be running around instead of sitting. I also bring food with me for the day. Easy things like packaged apple slices and granola.

Just lift heavy and take a multi. Good luck with your fitness goals as a doctor.

i'm just going to carry a shake-weight everywhere.

I have a slight belly, and my muscles aren't the strongest either. I work to maintain what I have, I really don't care about pecs and stuff :D

Second year is more time-intensive, but since it's still class-based I think it's possible. Good luck with third year.

Many people will put on some version of the "freshman fifteen" during intern year. You will be eating poorly - often grabbing whatever is free, which means lots if high carbs and sweets from the resident lounges and breakfast meeting, will be up all night, throwing off your cortisol levels, and won't have as much time to work out regularly. Once you create these bad habits it's much harder to get back on track even when you do have time,

So we are all becoming some fatties except for a few? It is ironic how you work to keep people healthy at the expense of your own fitness. This is truly an altruistic field :laugh:

C'mon, bro. The extra 5 flights of stairs and and parking farther away will help you get fit? LULZ. Of course it's all about nutrition for body comp, not fitness....there is a difference. If you don't train you'll still look hell.

Sistah.

And those are ways to help keep things going for when you're busy. I'm by no means saying that's a proper health plan, but there are ways to keep yourself from falling apart in school. I was adding to your post, not correcting you. If you read what I said, I said "added fitness" not the core of your routine.

Too many similar posts to quote one, but it doesn't always come down to time...you don't actually need THAT much exercise to stay fit, most of it is diet. And a lot of it is just sheer will-power (last doc I shadowed said she woke up at 4:30 AM just so she had enough time to run and do yoga before work!)

If you're someone who needs structure to keep with a good habit, there are plenty of minimalist exercise programs out there. For example, if you're just starting out, a free hour every other day is enough to do both the Couch to 5k Running and the 100 Push-ups programs. Seems pretty simplistic, but I think a big part of keeping in shape is finding a routine you can fall into, just like studying, especially if you don't have enough time to go to a gym.

Crossfit...30 minutes or less of extreme workout

I eat right, and I definitely have had TIME to work out in medical school. The problem is, although I wake up determined to go to the gym, after I finish school in the afternoon, I feel exhausted and like working out is absolutely the last thing I want to do. And on the occasions that I fight through that and do go to the gym, it causes me to oversleep the next day and the day after. So I'd say that time and food aren't the big issues here...for me, it's energy. Which is why I occasionally get hopped up on Jack3d to do it.

I eat right, and I definitely have had TIME to work out in medical school. The problem is, although I wake up determined to go to the gym, after I finish school in the afternoon, I feel exhausted and like working out is absolutely the last thing I want to do. And on the occasions that I fight through that and do go to the gym, it causes me to oversleep the next day and the day after. So I'd say that time and food aren't the big issues here...for me, it's energy. Which is why I occasionally get hopped up on Jack3d to do it.

Have you thought about going to the gym in the morning? I had the same problem and I switched to working out in the morning and it is going very well.

I have only known personally 10 doctors in my life and none of them is in good shape. All of my friends who are in medical school are not fit either, albeit these guys have never been fit in their life. What is your plan to stay fit in medical school, residency and beyond?

With the demanding schedule, irregular sleeping and eating, it seems impossible to have any kinda exercise plan going. I mean regular people have trouble finding time to work out with 40hr work week. I guess with proper time management it is possible in medical school but how can residents do anything if they work 80hr/week?

I just saw a friend's photo and his gut was spilling over his jeans while sitting down. I would hate to see myself being like that in the next 10 yrs or so. I want to be the best doctor I can be but at the same time would like to keep my 6 pack for as long as possible.

Please share your insights and experiences.

Edit: Sorry, my definition of fit is not fat, active, play some sports regularly and not embarrassed to be seen shirtless, or naked :D for that matter, by a female.

I have seen some confusion about what fitness is. In loose terms, I've always thought of it as the ability to carry out your daily work and tasks without due fatigue etc. Looking at it this way, it does not take too much time to maintain a base of physical preparedness. If you are strapped for time, and don't mind working hard, you can achieve quite a bit in 3-5hrs/week. Stick to heavy compound exercises and some intense cardio. I usually finish up most weights workouts with a 20 minute tempo run, where I push as hard as I can running/riding for the duration.

I personally feel that if it's important to you, then you will make time to fit it in. In undergrad, I was part of the 6am workout crew at our gym. We had three medical and dental sudents who routinely came in, whether they were up late studying for a test or whatever. We all trained together 4x a week, about 1.5 hours each time. We had a trust built into our group, we depended on each other to be there.

I ran cross country for the first two years at university. Obviously not medical school, but I can tell you that even with a few 21 credit semesters, probably 3-5 hours per day of meetings/practice schedules/weights workouts, on top of preparing all of my own nutritious meals, I was strapped for time. Constantly on the go, everything I did had to be streamlined. Find ways to cut down on useless things. Example, make friends with the crock pot. Make double or tripple portions of meals for dinner so that you can cover lunch and dinner for the next 3-4 days. Cook two dinner dishes at one time so that you can rotate meals between lunch and dinner to avoid being stale. Cut up and prepare vegetables during a scheduled free time, two days a week, so that you won't be tempted to skip the good stuff. Something else which often worked was I would double the size of my breakfast and stick the uneaten part in a tupperware container to eat later on during the day. Get a locker at school, keep a spare set of gym clothes and some long lasting snacks, almonds, dried fruit, etc.

I totally think that you can do it!

Honestly, nothing helps me put a hard day behind me like maxing out on deadlifts after nearly exploding my heart with caffeine. Light weight baby.

I have actually had the same concerns. I am very into fitness and keeping myself healthy, and I think I'll be able to handle that in med school. Personally I know that when I exercise and eat well, my brain functions at a much higher level anyway.

That said, residency has the potential to COMPLETELY F-- that up. You said 80 hours a week. That would be bad. Worse would be 100 (new legislation aside). Combine that with stress and irregular hours... Also, it's hard to cook or eat a decent meal when a mcdonalds might be right next to the hospital and you're always in a hurry.

I don't have any answers. I will say that it's possible to get a legitimately great workout in as little as 15 minutes if you know what you're doing and have the right equipment/environment. I too hope that medicine doesn't destroy my level of fitness and health. I think a lot might depend on how brutal the residency is and how disciplined you are. Your supporting cast (girlfriend/boyfriend/roomate/friends/family) might make a huge difference too.

I have actually had the same concerns. I am very into fitness and keeping myself healthy, and I think I'll be able to handle that in med school. Personally I know that when I exercise and eat well, my brain functions at a much higher level anyway.

That said, residency has the potential to COMPLETELY F-- that up. You said 80 hours a week. That would be bad. Worse would be 100 (new legislation aside). Combine that with stress and irregular hours... Also, it's hard to cook or eat a decent meal when a mcdonalds might be right next to the hospital and you're always in a hurry.

I don't have any answers. I will say that it's possible to get a legitimately great workout in as little as 15 minutes if you know what you're doing and have the right equipment/environment. I too hope that medicine doesn't destroy my level of fitness and health. I think a lot might depend on how brutal the residency is and how disciplined you are. Your supporting cast (girlfriend/boyfriend/roomate/friends/family) might make a huge difference too.

When I start school in July, I will open a thread where everybody who is into fitness can post about their time management plans, cooking tips and exercise so we all can stay fit throughout this brutal process.

That said, residency has the potential to COMPLETELY F-- that up. You said 80 hours a week. That would be bad. Worse would be 100 (new legislation aside). Combine that with stress and irregular hours... Also, it's hard to cook or eat a decent meal when a mcdonalds might be right next to the hospital and you're always in a hurry....

this. Bear in mind that under the 80 hour work week rule, even if a program is in compliance (and some likely still arent) you can still be working 90 hours one week, as long as there's a 70 hour week later in the month to balance it out. So not all weeks will be equal but you may be using the easier weeks to make up for sleep you missed on the worse ones. Hard to build in a useful exercise program where you only have time every other week. And no way to get up early and work out before work when you need to be at the hospital at 5 am. And when you are on nights, after a long 14 hour shift, and you simply aren't getting quality sleep during the days, it's just tough to run to the gym each morning after work rather than just climb into bed to rest up. You have to be unbelievably dedicated to the cause to stay in shape during residency (or harder rotations in 3rd and 4th year of med school). Some people manage it. Most people put their exercise programs on hold, to save as a future new years resolution.

When I start school in July, I will open a thread where everybody who is into fitness can post about their time management plans, cooking tips and exercise so we all can stay fit throughout this brutal process.

The first two years of med school aren't the issue. Start the thread when you reach third year.

Depending on how much space you have in your house/apartment/etc., I would think it would be easier to work out at home if you can. I like working out at home because for me it's more efficient on time, and it's easy for me to be motivated to work out because it's right there in the house, rather than having to get my things ready and hopping in the car for a drive to the gym. If I need a friend to spot me or something, I just invite him over. For resistance training, I have a set of adjustable dumbbells and a simple adjustable bench that take up minimal space in a corner of the house. For cardio, I just run outside around the neighborhood or jump rope in the driveway. I also add a plyometrics routine and a bodyweight circuit routine to round out the week, which for me require no equipment.

It's easy

Just don't eat too much and spend 30 minutes in the gym you fat American pigs. (I'm an American)

I dunno, the ortho doctor I shadowed had some huge forceps.

an easy to maintain some sort of workeout is to get a pull up bar. you can do a quick pull up/sit up/push up routine every day regardless of what your rotations is. As others said, the first two years youll have time to exercise as much or as little as youd like b/c your schedule is your own. During 3rd year its way more difficult, but can be done. Just little things like trying to take the stairs. I had an attending who made us take the stairs every day when we are on the 10th floor of the hospital.

Multifunction pullup bar like somebody mentioned. Ride your bike to work every day. Walk everywhere. I'm always amazed at how many people take the elevator for 1-5 flights.

Irregular eating doesn't mean you can't still eat healthily. Ensure that you get your calories in, even if you only eat two meals a day. Or for those that are prone to be overweight, make sure you don't gorge on excess carbs and fats because you're only eating two meals a day.

The first two years of med school aren't the issue. Start the thread when you reach third year.

These kinds of problems are usually just because people aren't creative enough. I've known third years and yeah they're in the hospital quite a bit but it's not AS intense as everyone makes it out to be. Hell I know quite a few that'd go out in the middle of the week, not to mention the weekend.

Might you not have time to go to the actual gym every other day? Maybe (easier rotations), maybe not (tougher ones). Here's where people have trouble...you don't NEED to. Drop and pump out 30 pushups in the hospital student lounge when you have 5 minutes or before you grap a bite to eat. Like others have said, buy a pullup bar and put out some pushups, cruches and pullups when you come home. Buy a few weights and do some chest flies, tricep ext, etc. if you're feeling really fancy. Jog up and down the stairs of your apartment complex (I guarantee you're gonna be pretty much alone cause all the fatasses are using the elevator) or buy yourself a jump rope and crank that cardio out.

Why do you think the army hasn't changed its physical fitness requirements (all the way up to special forces) from the basic pullups, situps, pushups and 2 mile run (and 500y swim for SEALS)? You can stay on top of things with very basic exercises. Sure its sexier to go pump some iron in the gym but you don't need it.

I can definitely see people not having time during residency...but there's not really much of a reason to give up during medical school. Everyone in school has time somewhere they're just usually spending that time complaining about how they don't have time.

Last edited:
I believe "If you say you do not have time to work out, the truth is you are not willing to make time." When I go home on breaks now, I wake up with my mom at 3 a.m. to go for a walk (she is trying to lose weight, and having to be at work by 7 a.m. resulted in us going walking a 3 a.m.).

However, one of my favorite lifestyle choices thus far has been 5-6 meals a day. Eating every 2.5-3 hours is quite enjoyable. Only downside, is every time I fall off this routine I get reeeeeeally dizzy. Also, it is expensive to down this many chicken breasts.

However, one of my favorite lifestyle choices thus far has been 5-6 meals a day. Eating every 2.5-3 hours is quite enjoyable. Only downside, is every time I fall off this routine I get reeeeeeally dizzy. Also, it is expensive to down this many chicken breasts.[/QUOTE]

I feel like eating 5-6 meals per day is perhaps not the answer to someone who's trying to balance the physically sedentary lifestyle that is medical school...

My father-in-law's an ortho surgeon at a major trauma center in upstate NY... 80 hours per week, I believe. He runs (and trains for) marathons every year or so and just built a garage next to his house. I believe it's all about making efficient use of the time you have...