Steady Academic Improvement, does it work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FLINT1242

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey sdners, long time reader, first time writer here... I just wanted to see if anyone is in the same boat as me. Most dental schools I've talked to have said they look "favorably" on steady academic improvement and factor that into their decision when looking at gpas. My freshman year, before I decided to be pre-dental (i.e. no pre-dental classes taken yet) I completely bombed. Terrible gpa. Since then I've improved each semester and my current gpa is around a 3.3-3.4. My freshman year put me in a mathematical hole, however. So far just one interview and no word from anyone else. Is there anyone out there that has been accepted and faced my same dilemma? Can anyone else offer insight?

Members don't see this ad.

I started out slow with an F and 3 C's because like you didn't know what I wanted to do. I think that the schools do look at trends but you first need to get your gpa's in a range that even warrents them to consider your file. I always made it a huge point in my interviews and on my essay to consider the trends of my grades and even had a gpa that I calculated that only showed the last 3 years of school. With that said you really need to buckle down and start working your a$$ off. A 3.3-3.4 is a good gpa if thats what your applying to D-school with. But you are in a whole, you need a 3.7 or above every semester to start to unsink that ship! Olso make sure your BCP is high, that will give you another gpa to show that you are better than your gpa's say you are.

Personally, I think it helps, but I don't think it matters as much as it should. I ended my freshman year with 31 credits at a 2.3 GPA....taking classes like english 101 and spanish 102...now my "school" GPA is a 3.32 (by repacing a couple low grades)....overall, I think the only time it would really help you is when they compare your 3.3 to another person's 3.3 to see that you have done better more recently...other than that, I don't think 30 straight credits of 4.0 (mostly pre-dent classes) has helped me out very much at all (other than to raise my low GPA)....In the end, i think that a school looks at you application and asks: whats your science GPA? whats your cum GPA? is it good enough to get an interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
cgDDS said:
overall, I think the only time it would really help you is when they compare your 3.3 to another person's 3.3 to see that you have done better more recently...other than that, I don't think 30 straight credits of 4.0 (mostly pre-dent classes) has helped me out very much at all (other than to raise my low GPA)....In the end, i think that a school looks at you application and asks: whats your science GPA? whats your cum GPA? is it good enough to get an interview?
Very true! What I was trying to say, just put better. If you don't fall into their range of gpa's that they are going to interview it doesn't matter what you have done recently. But if it comes down to equal gpa's it may make the difference. But still try to point out your trend. I was able to bring my gpa up around a 3.5 but it took years of hard work.

I think your 3.3 or 3.4 is plenty good enough to get an interview. It depends on your other stats such as DAT scores, and your extracurriculars (shadowing, volunteering, leadership experience, research, etc.) I got an acceptance with a 3.01 overall, so your 3.3 shouldn't keep you out!

FLINT1242 said:
Since then I've improved each semester and my current gpa is around a 3.3-3.4.
I missunderstood, I thought you ment you were curently getting 3.3-3.4's. Ya, your gpa is starting to get competitive. If you've already brought it up to that just keep up the hard work and you will be just fine. ;)

Thanks for the input. Yeah I've brought my cumulative up to a 3.3-3.4 and my DAT scores are about average, maybe below (18 AA). I've got an interview at Michigan but not until late January. Isn't the class going to be filled by then?