This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YuniCresta

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I will be taking steo 1 next summer (july maybe) and since I already began my second year of medical school I was wondering at what moment should I start studying for it.

Also, what plan would you recomend?

And finally, how old is "too old" for a first aid? I have the 2016 version, should I update to a 2017/2018 or is it basically the same?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I will be taking steo 1 next summer (july maybe) and since I already began my second year of medical school I was wondering at what moment should I start studying for it.

Also, what plan would you recomend?

And finally, how old is "too old" for a first aid? I have the 2016 version, should I update to a 2017/2018 or is it basically the same?
UFAP (UFAPS if your micro is weak). Get the newest FA.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
UFAP (UFAPS if your micro is weak). Get the newest FA.
May want to clarify what UFAP/S stands for, since it's become so colloquial on this board that I don't think I've ever seen what it stands for written out, anywhere. Actually, you distinguishing between UFAP vs UFAPS only if Micro is weak is what finally made me click on what 'UFAP' stood for, if only because the components are so often referenced on here. For the first many months of browsing Allo, I just thought UFAP was a semi-derogatory way of saying "do UWorld until you can't do it anymore."

Reactions: 1 users
May want to clarify what UFAP/S stands for, since it's become so colloquial on this board that I don't think I've ever seen what it stands for written out, anywhere. Actually, you distinguishing between UFAP vs UFAPS only if Micro is weak is what finally made me click on what 'UFAP' stood for, if only because the components are so often referenced on here. For the first many months of browsing Allo, I just thought UFAP was a semi-derogatory way of saying "do UWorld until you can't do it anymore."
Fair point, and sorry busy as a resident, and just talk in abbreviated fashion now lol.

UFAPS = USMLE World + First Aid + Pathoma + SketchyMicro

Personally I don't think it matters what order you do it in, or how you get through those resources, or even if you have a weak foundation in any area to start with. What matters is getting through and learning the material in those resources as best as you can. Lean heavily on UWorld, including reading and understanding all the explanations for right and wrong answers.

At the bare minimum, I'd say just FA + UWorld, and I know people who only used those two resources and scored 230 at least or higher (which I know is low for SDN but fine for most, unless aiming for a very competitive specialty).

Good luck, OP!

Not that hard to find really...

Studying for organ blocks/NBME

What even more ironic is who actually answered the question in this thread...

(Will keep the semi-derogatory term for future jokes LOL)

During the year just go through FA and correct the errata. Use a cheap Qbank (like Kaplan) to do 30 or so questions per week on topics you've covered. Those are probably the only important things. Time spent on top of your course work 2-3 hrs/week max, don't take away from your MS2 stuff. You just have to get your brain to start integrating topics and answering USMLE type questions. It's not really even "studying" it's just getting familiar with the mindset and the resources. A few qbank questions at the end of the day when you're sick of real studying. What I liked was listening to the old Goljan audio files...while driving, walking, in the gym, etc.

The key, IMO, to doing well on step is repetition. I wouldn't start studying hardcore 12hr days until, at the earliest, 6 months out. Until then, I think the best thing you can do is to constantly review old topics with some sort of active recall (anki) or at the very least reading through FA going over old topics.

I wouldn't start studying hardcore 12hr days until, at the earliest, 6 months out.

Every day is a hardcore 12+ hrs day in everything.

IMG_0603.JPG

Not that hard to find really...

Studying for organ blocks/NBME

What even more ironic is who actually answered the question in this thread...

(Will keep the semi-derogatory term for future jokes LOL)
I'm assuming that someone who starts a thread for "how do I prep Step 1" and "should I get the newest version of FA" would perhaps not be the type who has read a lot of older threads on the topic or is going to dig for it.

I'm assuming that someone who starts a thread for "how do I prep Step 1" and "should I get the newest version of FA" would perhaps not be the type who has read a lot of older threads on the topic or is going to dig for it.

Fair point, I was more of the digger. I also never made a thread to date either...

Every day is a hardcore 12+ hrs day in everything.

View attachment 222199
There's "12hr/day" studying that involves taking long breaks, alt-tabbing to fb/reddit/forums and maybe watching netflix when you eat, and then there's ACTUAL 12hr/day studying. I'm convinced 99% of people never actually end up studying 12 hours a day - it's extremely tedious and hard to maintain.

There's "12hr/day" studying that involves taking long breaks, alt-tabbing to fb/reddit/forums and maybe watching netflix when you eat, and then there's ACTUAL 12hr/day studying. I'm convinced 99% of people never actually end up studying 12 hours a day - it's extremely tedious and hard to maintain.

it sux with a capital S.

That is one intense CS Lewis quote. How did you become a reader of his works?