Step 1 Studying During First Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YLFounder

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'll be entering medical school this fall and I was wondering what you would advise to study during the first year for Step 1. I realized during the time I was studying for the MCAT that had I had those books around during my core science classes, I would have understood the material much more thoroughly, so I'm hoping not to make that mistake this second time around.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say nothing.. You are going to be working real hard M2 year, so have as much fun as you can M1.. I had a blast M1 and regret nothing.

90% of the book isn't going to make any sense to you until getting into M2.. So i'd say the most I'd do looking back would to maybe just crack open first aid here and there and try to contextualize the classwork with relevant things in the book.. Eg studying microbio, just briefly read the sections in the book about the same bacteria, or studying CV physio, read the first couple pages of the FA CV chapter... I really think this isn't necessary though.

Last edited:
You won't remember it. Do it if you want but it's worthless. I'm in my dedicated study period for step 1 now and I already forget what I learned 2 weeks ago.