Step 2 CK/CS and rank lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted674723

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did well on Step 1 and have plenty of interviews. If programs require step 2 CK to rank does it matter how early you get it to them or no? Is getting step 2 CK score to programs in late January acceptable or will programs rank me lower for this? Does having it in by rank literally just mean like sometime in February before the 25th deadline for rank lists?

Subscribing to get an answer to this also.

It's program dependent. Theoretically you need it before ROL deadline. Realistically, you need it before we-have-finished-our-ranking-and-submitted-our-ROL deadline for each program, which is usually before then. How much before then? Impossible to know.

What I have done is reach out to all applicants missing a step score before I finalize my list. I ask when you expect a score. if you don't answer my email, you get unranked. If you tell me some date in the future I write it down. Usually it's a handful of people. I find the last date, and put a reminder on my schedule to check all the missing results -- if there's a new score I assess it (might move you on the rank list, usually down), if there isn't you get removed.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's program dependent. Theoretically you need it before ROL deadline. Realistically, you need it before we-have-finished-our-ranking-and-submitted-our-ROL deadline for each program, which is usually before then. How much before then? Impossible to know.

What I have done is reach out to all applicants missing a step score before I finalize my list. I ask when you expect a score. if you don't answer my email, you get unranked. If you tell me some date in the future I write it down. Usually it's a handful of people. I find the last date, and put a reminder on my schedule to check all the missing results -- if there's a new score I assess it (might move you on the rank list, usually down), if there isn't you get removed.
Thanks so much for the response. So you're saying that you typically move people farther down your rank list as they submit Step 2's later/closer to deadline? Is having Step 2 CK in by late January acceptable since that would be the one score that would usually move a student up or down the list whereas Step 2 CS could be a bit later in February as long as it is a couple weeks before the deadline since it's essentially just checking that the student passed?

Also, just for an n=1 when is your before we-have-finished-our-ranking-and-submitted-our-ROL deadline?

I usually move people down because either your S2 is where I expected it to be, or it's worse. If your S2 is better it's unlikely I'll move you up for that -- we've already put lots of thought into where you belong on the list.

End Jan. I usu plan a vacation for early Feb and I don't want to have to bother/worry about it on my return.

Brave taking CS that late.

Most programs won't rank you without CS... I got a couple of programs that reached out to me re: my CS score because result was in late - January. That was IM, and also classmates who applied different specialties had similar experience.