Step 2 CS 08/15/2018 Score Report Release

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skywhite

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I have created this thread for all who are anxiously waiting, and hoping to Pass this uniquely unpredictable exam. The scores will be released beginning August 15.

I took CS in Philly. Made a ton of mistakes. I wish everybody good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Yeah it is such a bad feeling, after so much hardwork,travel for usmle. Btw congrats to those who passed.
HEY GUYS !! please don't fret just as of yet... the guy who figured it out also said that its possible that if your still ineligible that your results could be coming the following Wednesday

HEY GUYS !! please don't fret just as of yet... the guy who figured it out also said that its possible that if your still ineligible that your results could be coming the following Wednesday
Yeah i am now hoping it to come out next wednesday.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah it might be. I took on houston on july first week.
Yea I think were all awake ... yea I took mine in the beginning of June so yours is almost a month later during the months that a lot of people are taking their exam.... so I'm hoping Roxxan you get your results next Wednesday !!!! there so many people taking it during the months of June and July it so the fact you tested closer to the end of the window might mean your results are coming up the following Wednesday .. crossing fingers !

Reactions: 1 user
Nothing is final until you get the pass or fail email. No point in stressing over conjecture. Good luck to everybody!

Members don't see this ad :)
Passed!!!!

That being said this exam is highly subjective and failing doesn't mean you're a bad medical student or doctor

I'm paranoid to give too many deta
Congrats y'all! What day and where did you take your exam? And are you IMG or AMG?

I'm paranoid to say where (I don't think where matters anyway) but IMG and June 20. Got an email first and then checked OASIS

I am now able to register for step 3...my heart rate was probably 180 when the webpage was loading...fingers crossed

I am also able to register for step 3 now, but still no score online. Is the score release usually spread out or does it happen all at once? Gonna be stressed until I see the actual score.

I passed..high performance all through.. I wonder what i was even anxious about..;);)

Scores should be coming soon (my schools just emailed me to let me know I passed. They have access to our scores ahead of time because a few years ago a student committed suicide after getting their step 1 score)

Scores should be coming soon (my schools just emailed me to let me know I passed. They have access to our scores ahead of time because a few years ago a student committed suicide after getting their step 1 score)
This is for US MD students (I am a US MD student)

USMD pass last week of June in LA. Scored all the way to the right (highest performance) in CIS and SEP. Got 4 stars in borderline and 11 stars to the right (higher performance) for ICE. I’ve literally spent the last two months convinced that I failed. I will post my mistakes to help others.

1) for the first case I did not scroll all the way down so I never saw the workup section. So I had no work up for that case

2) I struggle with “focused” physical exams (i’m more of an all or not much kind of physical exam person). So I did not do any special physical exam maneuvers. No musculoskeletal maneuvers, no egophany, no palpating for PMI, I didn’t percuss anything )except I briefly percussed an abdomen), I never used the ophthalmoscope, I never tested reflexes or sensation, I did a half assed neuro exam on someone because I couldn’t think of any other physical exam to do, I never did a mini mental status exam, I never listened to anything with the bell (so I never listened for bruits)

3) I forgot to wash my hands in one case and maybe also a second

4) for one patient I couldn’t remember the name of the diagnosis so instead I put two other diagnoses that were much less likely and that I knew she didn’t have based on my physical exam, but that I could at least support with the information that I gathered

5) I rarely asked sexual history, I never asked occupation

6)I ran out of characters when typing many of my notes and had to delete things I probably should have included,

7) I did shot gun testing. Everyone got CBC, BMP, Electrolytes

8) I used common medical abbreviations that were not approved because I was running out of time

9) one patient i’m sure I utterly failed with. He told me his very nonspecific chief complaint and that’s it. I asked for more and he gave me no more. I named a bunch of possible associated SX and he had none. Physical exam completely negative, no challenge question. Either he was messing with me or I completely missed something (I think I just missed something)

I made many more mistakes that I cannot remember. Overall I only felt ok about 6 of the cases, 3 I felt terrible about, and 3 I thought could go either way. I felt good about none of them. I took CS right after my peds clerkship so I had not seen an adult patient in 8 weeks. On my exam I had no peds patients. Also I was exhausted from studying for that shelf exam (I honored it yay!) which I took three days before CS. I looked over 1/3 of the mini cases in first aid and quickly skimmed 8-10 of the big cases. I did not practice on anyone before I took CS except for my school’s graded clinical skills exam that is similar to CS (except without a graded note). I took my schools clinical skills exam 3 weeks before CS and found out I failed it two days after I took CS. I have no idea how i passed CS let alone how I did well

Reactions: 2 users
Took it end of June and I passed. Now I understand the saying if I passed so can you haha. Good luck everyone!

PASSED! US IMG..
Took the exam in Chicago, end of June. I'm ESL and my SEP is alllll the way to the right haha and the CIS as well. ICE has only two stars in the borderline and everything else to the right. Sooo...I want to encourage people...I honestly thought that I failed because of my english and typing speed. I also took Kaplan 1 day course and that REALLY helped me. Our school does not provide us with any OSCEs so once we are off the island so I prepared ONLY with First Aid CS and went to do the Kaplan 1 day course.
First Aid CS is all you need (FOR IMG)
Congrats to all that passed!

Also.. also practiced every case from FA writing the whole note using USMLE patient note on their website which is timed. That really helped...highly recommend it!

Last edited:
Took the exam early June, but still no score report... I've been checking the NBME site, but nothing. Anyone else in the same boat?

Ive taken the cs exam 2 daya ago.i think am gonna fail . I am an IMG with very high scores on step 1 and ck , but i was just so nervous during cs . I ran out of time during my first encounter so i could not explain the plan , dx or couel.him . I forgot to wash my hands durin one encounter but then i realized that , so i just stopped the PE , washed my hands , then examined the SP. Unfortunately i was doing the CV exam above the gawn at first . I forgot obgyn and illicit drug use hx in about 3 encounters . I did not counsel 2 -3 SP concerning smoking , alcohol , or diet . I always asked about the occupational but i was too nervous so that i forgot writing them down on the PN during every encounter. I was f*** too nervous to find the water cups so a SP could drink some water. Forgot to do some PE maveuvers like tactile fermitus when i should have done them . Any help?

I took CS on July 14th and did not receive score until now. So, this week is done already? Or maybe it will be released on Thursday or Friday?
Thanks.

I took CS on July 14th and did not receive score until now. So, this week is done already? Or maybe it will be released on Thursday or Friday?
Thanks.
The next batch will be released next Wednesday. Yesterday was the start of result releasing. They will continue to release results for everyone that took the test before 15th July until September 12. The results are out for approximately 75-90 % of the us. 10-20 % should receive report by next 2 weeks. Last 5 % will come out before September 12th. According to ECFMG website, they hold those 5 % for quality control purpose. Also because you took your exam on the last days of the testing period, it is likely to be delayed for a week or two as it will be part of the last ones to be graded. Don’t loose sleep over it. So far it looks like everyone in this thread has revived a passing result. Relax and let us know of the good news soon!

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn't say the last part about taking it late is true. I took it on the last possible day of the testing period and got my score yesterday. It is most likely due to quality control.
I would also say last day of taking test, speed of patient note rather, and test center can contribute. All I’m saying is it can be multifacorial and not to worry about delayed result. So far we all passed

Can any one tell us what were his mistakes? And how he felt after the exam

Hey, I spent a really embarrassing amount of time after my exam Googling every iteration of "made all these mistakes and still passed CS". I was 99% sure I'd failed. Didn't screw up the courage to make my own post but I guarantee if there is a post on SDN titled some version of "failed step 2 CS help", I have read it.

Here are the mistakes I made:
- Left an entire workup section BLANK
- Couldn't think of a second diagnosis for one of the patients. Put "malingering".
- One patient presented with a chief complaint related to a field I'm VERY weak in (think one of those uber-competitive surgical subspecialties). Made up 3 diagnoses. Ran out of time mid-sentence as I was filling in the HPI
- Listened to most patients' hearts and lungs over the gown because I was being stupid
- Had 2-3 #1 diagnoses that I wasn't fully convinced about, but just threw down anyway

For people who haven't taken it yet, here is what I absolutely did for every patient:
- Hand sanitizer before the physical exam
- A good ROS (it didn't take me more than a minute or two)
- Asked EVERYONE before moving on to past medical history, "Any other symptoms that you've noticed that I didn't ask about?"
- Asked EVERYONE: Do you have any medical conditions? Have you ever had surgery or been hospitalized? Do you have any family history of medical conditions? Do you take any medications or have any allergies? What do you do for a living? Are you sexually active and do you prefer men/women/both? Do you smoke, drink alcohol, use illicit drugs such as cocaine, heroin, or marijuana? For women: when was your last period? Have you ever been pregnant? - and documented in the note accordingly.
- Said this to EVERYONE after the physical exam: "Before I go into what I'd like to do next in terms of ordering workup, did you have any questions or concerns that I forgot to ask about?"

Passed very comfortably with no stars in the borderline section in either ICE or CIS.

I LEFT A WORKUP SECTION BLANK.

It will be okay. Try not to stress too much. Have some ice cream.

In respect to the patient note, can you write ROS Allergies and Meds on the same line
and can you use NC/AT - normocephalic, atraumatic as an abbreviation and LAD lymphadenopathy. i didnt see it on the abbreviation list but heard/seen people using this in cs notes.

Thanks and congrats to those who passed!!!