Step 2 CS: Failed, Retook, and Matched!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akathisian

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I failed CS, retook and passed it, and had a great match. Back when I found out I had failed, I scoured the internet for information about what to do, and I only really found one post that was relevant to my situation. I'm sharing my story in case others find themselves in similar circumstances, in the hope that such individuals will not have to spend as much time freaking out as I did.

I am at an allopathic US med school, middle of the road in terms of competitiveness. I have average scores and extensive leadership, community service and research experience. I applied to internal medicine. I took CS at the beginning of October -- i.e., after I had already submitted my residency applications. I found out that I had failed in mid-December. I actually got the email right after one of my interviews.

I was distraught and confused, and I immediately signed up for the next available test date, which was in early January. I spoke to my advisor, who in turn consulted with numerours program directors and associate program directors for advice about whether I should let my programs know, when and how.

All parties felt it was both ethical and in my best interest to NOT disclose the failing score to schools unless they specifically asked for it. I decided to go this route, hoping that I would receive a passing score from my retake before anyone asked, and with the plan to have letters of support from my advisor, my dean, and the clinical simulation team at my school to send along with my response.

Next, I sought about trying to get an earlier test date. The reporting period for January was after the due date for rank lists, so I wanted to get an earlier test date to hopefully get me a passing score before the rank list due date. I found an extension for firefox that you can set up to monitor a website for changes, and I set it up to monitor the NBME CS scheduling page. I wish I had discovered this sooner, because I was able to get a date for December within 12 hours of setting it up. I ended up having to pay like an extra $400 or something to change the test date. I retook the exam, and I actually got a passing score released to me on the first day of the reporting window, which I believe was January 31st.

I only had two programs ask me for my CS score(s), and they happened to be the bottom two programs on my rank list. One was a community program that I considered to be of low quality. The other was a fairly prestigious academic program that I really liked, but it was in a geographical area that I was not interested in. Pretty random. Anyhow, they both contacted me right around the time I got my passing score. I was initially going to just release the scores to them. But then I learned that in ERAS you can't release scores to individual programs -- I would have had to disclose to ALL my programs! No way was I going to do that. I simply replied to the programs saying that I did not want to release the scores on ERAS for that reason, and I attached both score reports to the emails. I got one-liner "thank you!" responses from them. I have no idea what effect that had on my rank-ability with those programs, but I didn't really care since they were at the bottom of my list.

Other things:

- I failed the "communication and interpersonal skills" portion of the exam. I think it was because I ran out of time in two or three of the stations, but I'll never know for certain. The next time I took it my CIS score was at the far right of the chart. I definitely did not study enough for the first attempt. I didn't realize that the summary portion at the end of the encounter was so important. The second time around I cut my physical exams short in order to make time to summarize when I knew time was running out.

- I opted to take the exam at a different test site than my first attempt, as I had heard rumors that certain sites graded harder (no idea if that's really true).

- I know of one other classmate who also had to retake CS, and their original and second attempts fell on almost the exact same dates as mine. This person had only one program contact them requesting a CS score, and they actually released it on ERAS, so all their programs could have seen it prior to rank lists being due. They matched into a high rank in one of the most competitive specialties.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 15 users
I think being an AMG, it's more forgiving if you failed CS compared to those who are US and non-US IMG's

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've received several messages from folks asking similar follow-up questions, so figured I'd clarify my earlier post.

I never released my CS scores through ERAS. The program I matched into didn't ask me for a CS score until I was actually in orientation week! I sent the PDFs of my failing and passing score reports directly.

Only two of the 14 programs I interviewed at actually asked me for a CS score prior to match day. Both programs sent me emails with something to the effect of "we are putting our rank lists together, and we noticed that we don't have a CS score from you. If you haven't taken it yet, please tell us the date that you are signed up to take it, and if you have taken it, please release the score to us." I emailed them back to say that I did not want to release through ERAS because no one else had asked for the scores and I didn't want to release them unless people asked, for obvious reasons, but that I would be happy to send them the PDFs of the score reports directly. I felt comfortable doing this because the two programs were literally at the bottom of my rank list.

I matched at my #2. I have reason to believe that I would have matched at my #1, but I was couples' matching with my wife who chose a more competitive specialty, and I'm pretty sure we got #2 because of her. I'm very happy with #2.

And as to Bobby's comment, I agree that this may not necessarily to someone who is applying as an IMG -- I was under the impression that CS first came about as a means to ensure that IMGs had adequate medical English skills.

Good luck with interviews, everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
I've received several messages from folks asking similar follow-up questions, so figured I'd clarify my earlier post.

I never released my CS scores through ERAS. The program I matched into didn't ask me for a CS score until I was actually in orientation week! I sent the PDFs of my failing and passing score reports directly.

Only two of the 14 programs I interviewed at actually asked me for a CS score prior to match day. Both programs sent me emails with something to the effect of "we are putting our rank lists together, and we noticed that we don't have a CS score from you. If you haven't taken it yet, please tell us the date that you are signed up to take it, and if you have taken it, please release the score to us." I emailed them back to say that I did not want to release through ERAS because no one else had asked for the scores and I didn't want to release them unless people asked, for obvious reasons, but that I would be happy to send them the PDFs of the score reports directly. I felt comfortable doing this because the two programs were literally at the bottom of my rank list.

I matched at my #2. I have reason to believe that I would have matched at my #1, but I was couples' matching with my wife who chose a more competitive specialty, and I'm pretty sure we got #2 because of her. I'm very happy with #2.

And as to Bobby's comment, I agree that this may not necessarily to someone who is applying as an IMG -- I was under the impression that CS first came about as a means to ensure that IMGs had adequate medical English skills.

Good luck with interviews, everyone!

This is amazing, thank you so much for sharing your story. I am in a very similar boat right now and finding this thread has given me hope. May I ask which browser extension you used? Thank you!!

I failed CS, retook and passed it, and had a great match. Back when I found out I had failed, I scoured the internet for information about what to do, and I only really found one post that was relevant to my situation. I'm sharing my story in case others find themselves in similar circumstances, in the hope that such individuals will not have to spend as much time freaking out as I did.

I am at an allopathic US med school, middle of the road in terms of competitiveness. I have average scores and extensive leadership, community service and research experience. I applied to internal medicine. I took CS at the beginning of October -- i.e., after I had already submitted my residency applications. I found out that I had failed in mid-December. I actually got the email right after one of my interviews.

I was distraught and confused, and I immediately signed up for the next available test date, which was in early January. I spoke to my advisor, who in turn consulted with numerours program directors and associate program directors for advice about whether I should let my programs know, when and how.

All parties felt it was both ethical and in my best interest to NOT disclose the failing score to schools unless they specifically asked for it. I decided to go this route, hoping that I would receive a passing score from my retake before anyone asked, and with the plan to have letters of support from my advisor, my dean, and the clinical simulation team at my school to send along with my response.

Next, I sought about trying to get an earlier test date. The reporting period for January was after the due date for rank lists, so I wanted to get an earlier test date to hopefully get me a passing score before the rank list due date. I found an extension for firefox that you can set up to monitor a website for changes, and I set it up to monitor the NBME CS scheduling page. I wish I had discovered this sooner, because I was able to get a date for December within 12 hours of setting it up. I ended up having to pay like an extra $400 or something to change the test date. I retook the exam, and I actually got a passing score released to me on the first day of the reporting window, which I believe was January 31st.

I only had two programs ask me for my CS score(s), and they happened to be the bottom two programs on my rank list. One was a community program that I considered to be of low quality. The other was a fairly prestigious academic program that I really liked, but it was in a geographical area that I was not interested in. Pretty random. Anyhow, they both contacted me right around the time I got my passing score. I was initially going to just release the scores to them. But then I learned that in ERAS you can't release scores to individual programs -- I would have had to disclose to ALL my programs! No way was I going to do that. I simply replied to the programs saying that I did not want to release the scores on ERAS for that reason, and I attached both score reports to the emails. I got one-liner "thank you!" responses from them. I have no idea what effect that had on my rank-ability with those programs, but I didn't really care since they were at the bottom of my list.

Other things:

- I failed the "communication and interpersonal skills" portion of the exam. I think it was because I ran out of time in two or three of the stations, but I'll never know for certain. The next time I took it my CIS score was at the far right of the chart. I definitely did not study enough for the first attempt. I didn't realize that the summary portion at the end of the encounter was so important. The second time around I cut my physical exams short in order to make time to summarize when I knew time was running out.

- I opted to take the exam at a different test site than my first attempt, as I had heard rumors that certain sites graded harder (no idea if that's really true).

- I know of one other classmate who also had to retake CS, and their original and second attempts fell on almost the exact same dates as mine. This person had only one program contact them requesting a CS score, and they actually released it on ERAS, so all their programs could have seen it prior to rank lists being due. They matched into a high rank in one of the most competitive specialties.

Thank you man, this gives me hope. Would you know what those programs that asked you the score placed on their website? None of the programs I interviewed at in IM state specifically they require step 2 CS for ranking. The programs I am interested in actually state step 2 cs is not required for application, but required prior to beginning residency. Would that mean they won't ask? Any thoughts?

Other things:

Hey congrats on matching! When you say you didn't close on 2-3 encounters, does that mean you didn't explain the D/Ds and investigations? I'm getting my score on Jan 30. Every now and then, I see some posts like yours and its got me kind of worked up again about my results. lol

This is amazing, thank you so much for sharing your story. I am in a very similar boat right now and finding this thread has given me hope. May I ask which browser extension you used? Thank you!!
Check4change - mozilla

I'm a 4th year AMG and wanted to share my experience with people who may have a similar story to mine. I passed my second attempt at CS early this March. This means I went through the matching process without submitting CS on ERAS. Needless to say, I just found out I matched! I interviewed at 12 places and wasn't contacted by a single program about CS. I just wanted to calm your nerves down if you're in my situation. It seems the rumor is true that most programs don't care about Step 2 CS, at least if you're an AMG.

The hardest decision about retaking CS is when. I had a choice to either take it very quickly so that I could have my scores back before rank lists were due on Feb 20 or wait and actually prepare thoroughly the second time because failing again is not an option. In the end, don't feel pressured and desperate to retake it so soon. I don't think programs really care about CS and you really only need it to move onto the intern year before july so take your time and strongly consider taking a prep course. This test is getting harder each year and we had many failures at my school which is unheard of so please prepare and you'll be fine. I'll say that I fell into the trap of believing the ppl around me who said this was a super easy test, that if you spoke english you passed and to not worry about it and enjoy the 4th year. Needless to say, I learned my lesson!

In terms of taking the test, I never was a mnemonics guy but i certainly became one for my second attempt. Go through SDN and read forums about good mnemonics for CS. I used lots of those and they carried me through efficiently.

Reactions: 2 users
I'd also like to share my experience as an AMG who failed CS twice. I interviewed at 10 programs (primary care specialty) and did not have a passing score in time for rank lists. Thankfully I already had my Step 1 and Step 2 CK scores in before interviewing so I obviously did not update my USMLE transcript therefore programs did not know that I had 2 attempts. In the meantime, I took a prep course and took the exam again (currently waiting for my result). Out of the 10 programs I interviewed at, only one program reached out to me about CS and I was very honest with them. To my surprise, that's the program I just matched into.

Reactions: 1 users

Other things:

This is amazing! can you please share how did you make the "check for change" program work for this purpose? it tracks the changes in the text, but what was the exact page and text you selected for tracking? It only changes the color of the cells in each month's table...can you also track color changes?...

Yes! If you passed step 2 ck before submitting. Some programs will contact you though.

I think IMG must pass it to be eligible for match though, not sure.

Reactions: 1 users
I just wanted to bump this thread and provide another success story:
- DO applied psychiatry and internal medicine
- Good step 1 and good Level 2. No step 2 taken. PE pending at the time of ERAS submission
- Rec'd failing score after submitting ERAS
- Devastated, but quickly registered for retake that would get me a score back in January
- Rec'd a passing score sometime in January.
Decision time: Go into rank with no PE on file vs having 1 fail + 1 pass on file during rank. Several programs contact me regarding have no PE score. I went ahead and released my scores prior to rank based on psychiatry advice thread (see my prior threads). I matched my #2 program; my #1 program has never accepted a DO and was an extreme long-shot.

Good luck to you all. I referenced this thread several times for encouragement and I hope you will do the same. Please realize that this is not the 'death-nail' that everyone makes it out to be. Be smart, apply strategically, don't act rash, and gather as much information before making your decision! Good luck to you! :)

Edited: Accidentally wrote CS; changed CS to PE because I is DO

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user