Step 2 CS has been discontinued.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dang, the mfs did it. They freaking got rid of CS. Can we do the same for PE now?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone explain the impact this will have? Just a lowly M1 so I still doing have a lot of knowledge on STEP lol

Reactions: 3 users
Who gave the NBME a wedgie

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Can anyone explain the impact this will have? Just a lowly M1 so I still doing have a lot of knowledge on STEP lol

You won't be wasting time and energy preparing for this worthless exam.

You get to save a lot of money and time because you won't be flying across the country just to take a nonsense exam.

You get to avoid so much stress because your career won't be threatened by an arbitrary, terrible, and unrealistic exam.

Reactions: 18 users
I took CS right before they suspended it 😢 I want my money back.

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 27 users
But I was excited to see the award-winning Tony, Emmy, and Oscar performances of actors and actresses who finally got their big break apparently or something.

:(

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Med students get to save themselves around $2000 for the test, traveling, and lodging. Essentially a stimulus check for students. lol

Reactions: 8 users
I love how the OP's name is "foreverworthless," a fitting tag for 2CS.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
I would like to preemptively ask that all pro-CS faculty/admin kindly maintain a non-patent mouthhole

I don't want to hear "participation trophy" crap

I don't want to hear "lowering our standards" crap

I don't want to hear "snowflake" crap

I don't want to hear "millennials" crap

Please and thank you

Reactions: 21 users
I just hope they don't come up with something even worse in its place.

Reactions: 1 users
9373014F-534C-4DAE-9EC4-3DF6BBD1E207.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 16 users
Any chance they come up with something equally as terrible in the next 2 years? Asking for a friend...asking for myself.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
What's the best way to complain to the NBOME is my question?

• Haha
If the alphabet soup is logical, they will announce any addition of items with at least a two year lead-time... that is IF they are logical
True. They did the same for Step 1. Hopefully we’re in the clear.

When I saw the news, I was honestly surprised. CS is prob a huge money maker for the USMLE, I assumed they'd just wait it out. But now that I think about it, the cost of maintaining their cadre of examiners was probably huge, I'm sure they have let them all go, and now the process of retraining everyone would be an enormous drain -- just not worth it any more financially.

I'd like to think they did this because it was the right thing to do, but we all know it usually comes down to $$.

• Hmm
Reactions: 22 users
People use prep companies for CS?
Med school is filled with Type A, anal, "must succeed at any cost" individuals that also come from big money. One of the easiest groups to milk and people are really good at doing so ala GoldUSMLEReview haha.

This is the greatest advancement in medical education in decades. Bravo, everyone. Bravo. Taking Step 2 CS was in my top 10 my least favorite days on planet earth. Glad you youngsters don't have to suffer that nonsense

• Care
Reactions: 14 users
Thank goodness! Every medical school teaches and assesses clinical skills. The only folks who might need such an exam are IMGs who have never done a rotation in the US.

• Care
I will let them keep my $1300 if I don't need to take PE...

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
I think maintaining some form of practical / in-person exam is fair for medical licensing purposes. The exam sequence is becoming weaker than it used to be. People have opinions. Yes. That's how forums work. How about that.

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 9 users
I think maintaining some form of practical / in-person exam is fair for medical licensing purposes. The exam sequence is becoming weaker than it used to be. People have opinions. Yes. That's how forums work. How about that.
I agree with that last part, and my opinion is that you're wrong.

Reactions: 6 users

Ah, the old "back in my day" argument. Always logical and strong.

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users

Except all US med schools already have this. I like the idea in DO forums of decentralizing CS/PE by having schools certifying results of passing the OSCEs.

Make CS/PE the screening tool for IMGs/FMGs only. Leave US grads out of this crap

• Dislike
Reactions: 8 users
Except all US med schools already have this. I like the idea in DO forums of decentralizing CS/PE by having schools certifying results of passing the OSCEs.

Make CS/PE the screening tool for IMGs/FMGs only. Leave US grads out of this crap

For real. My school has us do a **** ton of OSCEs. That's enough lol.

Reactions: 5 users
I just think a numerical Step 1 + the presence of 2CS adds more value to the examination sequence overall compared to what it's becoming.

• Dislike
  • Haha
  • Okay...
Reactions: 9 users
There’s no way they will just let 1500 (or however much it costs now) x 20,000 slide

it’s only a matter of time before they come up with something else

Last edited:
There’s no way they will just let 1500 (or however much it costs now) x 20,000 slide

it’s only a matter of time before they come up something else
I thought the exact same thing

Reactions: 1 user
He’s an IMG who I believe offers teaching service for one of the step exams. Exams being pass/fail or being outright eliminated isn’t in their best interest. It’s a Gimpel like situation here

Last edited:
I thought CS was a good exam in general. Let me be the pariah here. "And we have free speech in this country."
Ha you are the guy who wrote the silly stuff in that old clerkships guide. This is perfectly on-brand. Incredible really.

Edit: I can't get over how hilarious this is. It's great insight to know this exam is made for someone such as yourself. The problem is that you really need to leave the rest of us functioning adults in America out of it.

Reactions: 2 users