STEP 3 Score VS USMLE WORLD AVERAGE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FirstMANdown

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is a great thread for Step 2ck VS UW%. I though it might be helpful if anyone out there can give us there input with there Step 3 VS UW%...etc as well. Anyways Thanks for the contribution.

I'm do to take Step 3 in the next month. Will update this thread as well. For better or for worse. :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
i wonder if taking this exam during intern year would be more beneficial, but since i didn't match this past spring, i'm trying to take it now.
Last time I went over it was right before starting intern year. We had to do a bunch of modules. We also did similar stuff in med school. I felt good on social/ethics and biostats. I studied the hell out of biostats! lol

Last time I went over it was right before starting intern year. We had to do a bunch of modules. We also did similar stuff in med school. I felt good on social/ethics and biostats. I studied the hell out of biostats! lol

I'm semi-contemplating on just dropping out of med school. I just can't seem to get Step 3 down. I just saw a post somebody made earlier saying how CK is the best predictor of your Step 3 score. My score was absolutely abysmal with a 215. I don't want to just pass this exam with a similar score, but really want to be one or two standard deviations above the average. Feel like I've let my family down so much by not matching because of my pathetic score. :(

I'm semi-contemplating on just dropping out of med school. I just can't seem to get Step 3 down. I just saw a post somebody made earlier saying how CK is the best predictor of your Step 3 score. My score was absolutely abysmal with a 215. I don't want to just pass this exam with a similar score, but really want to be one or two standard deviations above the average. Feel like I've let my family down so much by not matching because of my pathetic score. :(
All I can say is I hope your family has your back. I would not give up after coming this far. Just continue to do what you can to get there. Also, shouldn't you already be done with med school if you are trying to take Step 3?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like you are just venting. Seriously, a 215 is not a bad score. You can still match since I know people who matched with much lower scores.

Do the best you can. Seriously, it's good to aim high but if you don't get what you want, you just got to deal with it. Med students are so intent on being perfect and when we aren't, we give up or quit or consider ourselves as a failure.

Strive to be better everyday and accept yourself for what you are.

Also, on CCS, at the beginning, I got the case that would not end and it rattled me for about the first 4 cases. I forgot to additional tests to rule out other diseases and forgot a few optimal labs, consults and even medications in some cases. Also, there was several times I wanted to enter more things like some labs and but the software jumped me to the end of the case. I finished 12 of 13 early. Should I be worried? Or do we all forget what we know and make similar mistakes at the end of the day when we are tired and ready to be done.

PGY-3 IM resident. Took the test after a month in the MICU so didn't really have too much time to study. Used UWorld exclusively with a 65% average. Did all the CCS cases on the day in between my first and second test date. Took UWSA 2 weeks before and scored 217. Studied very intermittently thereafter. Felt horrendous after the test. Final score: 240.

Reactions: 4 users
After you take the test, when does your score get released. I know there is usually a day and time. I can't find if it is 3 weeks or 4 weeks, etc. Thanks.

From previous posts, it seems like 12am on the 3rd or 4th wednesday.

Reactions: 1 users
Got my result a week later than expected. Glad to see 241.
My resources were UW step 3 ( 71 percent 1st time, did only wrong qs second time)
I took a 10 day gap b/w my 2 days and did uworld ccs for the first time in it. This long gap was not good as I lost my grip on mcqs in between and I felt it on day 2 . I took this gap only for ccs prep.
uwsa 2 days before day1 was 233.
prep time: 50 days with job
step1: 248
step2: 252 (in september 2016)

Members don't see this ad :)
Step I - 248
Step II - 252
Currently 2nd year IM resident, took it very end of intern year. Exclusively UW with 67% correct (Finished like 70% of questions). UWSA @ 210 2 days prior. Studied "full time" 3 days but did questions intermittently for 3-4 weeks. I also had an 8 day gap between days 1 and 2, which I don't recommend. Just get it all done as close together as you can. If you're a US resident from a US med school, you'll be fine with just a few days of studying.
Step III - 235

what does it mean if you can still see "print permit" button but when you click it says unavailable and may have sat for exam. thanks.
I guess it doesn't mean anything...My FSMB still shows approved status and on the candidate website I can see the "Print Permit" option...Took my exam on June 19th and 26th...

Not sure about the average, as my subscription has expired. My UW assessment test scored me a 210, and I ended up with a 256. Substantially lower than Steps 1 & 2, but definitely a relief, haha

So I just jumped from 59% to 66% in Uworld. I'm only 1/3 of the way through the questions but I hope I can climb. I take the test in Sept.

I figured I'd post on here to help out others who are faced with the predicament of taking Step 3 during a very busy intern year.

Total study time: 6 months, sporadically, off and on depending on how busy my life was at that moment.
Didn't go too crazy, used UWorld for Step 3 after using Kaplan Step 3 (waste of time) and read UpToDate on things that I didn't completely understand.
Also used Step 3 Secrets during the month before the test, which was a great book and probably helped me get some minute detail questions right.
Got very familiar with the Fred CCS software as it amounted to free points on test day.
Took it back to back on June 27th and June 28th (would not recommend that for future test takers).
Step 3 UWorld: 68% 1st time pass.
77% second time pass.
UWSA (3 weeks before test): 213
Felt nauseous the entire time while taking the test.

Final score: 221

Goodbye USMLE forever!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I figured I'd post on here to help out others who are faced with the predicament of taking Step 3 during a very busy intern year.

Total study time: 6 months, sporadically, off and on depending on how busy my life was at that moment.
Didn't go too crazy, used UWorld for Step 3 after using Kaplan Step 3 (waste of time) and read UpToDate on things that I didn't completely understand.
Also used Step 3 Secrets during the month before the test, which was a great book and probably helped me get some minute detail questions right.
Got very familiar with the Fred CCS software as it amounted to free points on test day.
Took it back to back on June 27th and June 28th (would not recommend that for future test takers).
Step 3 UWorld: 68% 1st time pass.
77% second time pass.
UWSA (3 weeks before test): 213
Felt nauseous the entire time while taking the test.

Final score: 221

Goodbye USMLE forever!
Congrats bro... Good riddance...

Got my score back today.

Background: Step 1 ~250, Step 2 ~240

Took test at end of PGY-1 IM year on an easy outpatient block. 4 weeks study time. Used UWorld and MTB3, but started trailing off MTB3 after one week because I couldn't study from a book anymore. Used timed tutor in blocks of 10-20 questions mostly. Started off at 63% and finished around 65%. Completed Uworld 3 days before exam.

UWSA (1 week before test): 215
Test dates 3 days apart. Used UWorld CCS cases and flipped through Crush CCS during the days between the test.
Test impression: Day one was fairly stats heavy, but all fairly straightforward. Day two struggled with CCS cases. Only a couple ended somewhat early, and I ordered unnecessary procedures on a few of them. Really thought I did poorly with CCS. Day 2 was full of peds questions, which I struggle with.

Final Score: ~240

I think it is about time for me to share my experience on Step 3, since these forum made me feel comfortable or actually more anxious, but either way helped me through the agonizing experience of reviewing and taking the step 3.
My demographics: 32 yo male, IMG from Philippines (grade May 2008), residency urology 6 yrs in Philippines (Jan 2009-Dec 2014), post-fellowship on Peds Urology -two years in Toronto Canada (July 2015-June 2017).
Took USMLE June 23rd and 26th 2017 at Detroit, MI

It is not my purpose to boast/brag about my capability, but to encourage and give hope to people with similar situation to mine.
Took USMLE step 1 in 2008 Oct after four month intensive full time study score 235 97 passed
Took USMLE step 2 CK in 2012 Jan after 2 month part time study (while on residency) Score 222 80 passed
Took USMLE step 2 CS in 2013 Jan after 2 weeks part time study (while on senior yr residency) Passed
Took USMLE step 3 in 2017 June after 1 week part time, 4days fulltime study (while on Fellowship) score 203 passed

Preparation for step 3 only used USMLE world QA for one week, finishing all the questions, then CCS in the two day gap of test day.
USMLE world QA average 55%
USMLE world Self Assessment 180 (this scared me a lot and took the self assessment 4 days prior to day1 exam- studied the USMLE step 3 first aid and finished the book in three days full time reading (part time is 3-5 hrs per day study, usually after clinic/ OR 5pm to 12midnight; full time is 16hr study 7am to 12mn study)
reassessed with NBME form 4 got 223 approx (made me feel better and ready to take the exam)- most question style are actually similar to NBME forms not the USMLE SA.
Took exam day 1 felt very bad (but apparently the score from that day is actually better)
two days interval to day 2 exam, reviewed the advance medical knowledge part of the USMLE world QA, particularly the prior incorrect items repeatedly until got the percent correct increased to 60%, then trialed the CCS for all cases of USMLE world, then repeated on the last day 13 random cases, also studied the First aid CCS part.
Took the day 2 exam, felt better (yet this part I got a lower grade...in short what you feel does not correlate with number item correct).

Anyway, finally, this greatest experiment of myself is over, (taking the exam in less than two week study for step 3) and this experience made me realized that in 10 years gap, a lot of the medical information had change, you will know how medical field really advances, what I used to know when I fresh graduated medical school had changed almost completely; although the basic principles stays the same. The advanced medical knowledge have updated a lot, which I got lower score obviously. This exam study experience also gave me an opportunity to update myself.

Good luck to all exam candidate, wish you all the best, you can do it too!
Best regards,

I think it is about time for me to share my experience on Step 3, since these forum made me feel comfortable or actually more anxious, but either way helped me through the agonizing experience of reviewing and taking the step 3.
My demographics: 32 yo male, IMG from Philippines (grade May 2008), residency urology 6 yrs in Philippines (Jan 2009-Dec 2014), post-fellowship on Peds Urology -two years in Toronto Canada (July 2015-June 2017).

It is not my purpose to boast/brag about my capability, but to encourage and give hope to people with similar situation to mine.
Took USMLE step 1 in 2008 Oct after four month intensive full time study score 235 97 passed
Took USMLE step 2 CK in 2012 Jan after 2 month part time study (while on residency) Score 222 80 passed
Took USMLE step 2 CS in 2013 Jan after 2 weeks part time study (while on senior yr residency) Passed
Took USMLE step 3 in 2017 June after 1 week part time, 4days fulltime study (while on Fellowship) score 203 passed

Preparation for step 3 only used USMLE world QA for one week, finishing all the questions, then CCS in the two day gap of test day.
USMLE world Self Assessment 180 (this scared me a lot and took the self assessment 4 days prior to day1 exam- studied the USMLE step 3 first aid and finished the book in three days full time reading (part time is 3-5 hrs per day study, usually after clinic/ OR 5pm to 12midnight; full time is 16hr study 7am to 12mn study)
reassessed with NBME form 4 got 223 approx (made me feel better and ready to take the exam)- most question style are actually similar to NBME forms not the USMLE SA.
Took exam day 1 felt very bad (but apparently the score from that day is actually better)
two days interval to day 2 exam, reviewed the advance medical knowledge part of the USMLE world QA, particularly the prior incorrect items repeatedly until got the percent correct increased to 60%, then trialed the CCS for all cases of USMLE world, then repeated on the last day 13 random cases, also studied the First aid CCS part.
Took the day 2 exam, felt better (yet this part I got a lower grade...in short what you feel does not correlate with number item correct).

Anyway, finally, this greatest experiment of myself is over, (taking the exam in less than two week study for step 3) and this experience made me realized that in 10 years gap, a lot of the medical information had change, you will know how medical field really advances, what I used to know when I fresh graduated medical school had changed almost completely; although the basic principles stays the same. The advanced medical knowledge have updated a lot, which I got lower score obviously. This exam study experience also gave me an opportunity to update myself.

Best regards,
Are you planning to join some fellowship in USA now?

Sometimes, I feel like Uworld is oppressive. I mean this is like going to a lake, filling a bottle up and drinking it until you feel full and doing this everyday. And then you do this for months and months.

But the Lake is STILL THEREEEEEEE.

Reactions: 2 users
Sometimes, I feel like Uworld is oppressive. I mean this is like going to a lake, filling a bottle up and drinking it until you feel full and doing this everyday. And then you do this for months and months.

haha, couldn't word it any better! Spot on!

Kinda cliche to say, but hang in there because there's no other option. lol. But seriously, take it one day at a time and it'll be over soon enough.

Is 3 weeks enough? I signed up right when intern year started, thinking I'd have 2 months and could get an hour in every day or 2. That basically never happened because I was getting plowed for my entire first month. My next rotation has regular/reasonable hours, so I'll be able to dedicate time, so hoping if I get through ~50%+ of Uworld that I can still pass this thing. Step 1 & 2 scores were solid, but I haven't studied any of the material that's going to be on this test in over a year.

Is 3 weeks enough? I signed up right when intern year started, thinking I'd have 2 months and could get an hour in every day or 2. That basically never happened because I was getting plowed for my entire first month. My next rotation has regular/reasonable hours, so I'll be able to dedicate time, so hoping if I get through ~50%+ of Uworld that I can still pass this thing. Step 1 & 2 scores were solid, but I haven't studied any of the material that's going to be on this test in over a year.

If you focused on CCS on top of the Uworld (> 50 % of the questions) you should pass but it won't be amazing.

Hey thank you for sharing! I was inspired by your experience since I had a similar UWSA score as you. Then took NBME today . How did you make the NBME correlation score? I got 420

Best regards,

My weakest area was pediatrics, what is the best resource to study that? PLEASE & THANK YOU ALL!!!!

Step 1- 240s
Step 2- 250s
Step 3- 224 (came out today)
Uworld average : 68 %
UWSA: 222 ( 1 week before exam)

Resources used: Only Uworld x 1

Overall it was a tough exam. Not too thrilled with the score but I passed so that's a relief

If you focused on CCS on top of the Uworld (> 50 % of the questions) you should pass but it won't be amazing.

Step 1- 240s
Step 2- 250s
Step 3- 224 (came out today)
Uworld average : 68 %
UWSA: 222 ( 1 week before exam)

Resources used: Only Uworld x 1

Overall it was a tough exam. Not too thrilled with the score but I passed so that's a relief

Still feel the same? I'm wondering if I should make more of an effort to get through >60% of the qbank or settle for a little more than 50% and get through a majority of the CCS cases.

Still feel the same? I'm wondering if I should make more of an effort to get through >60% of the qbank or settle for a little more than 50% and get through a majority of the CCS cases.

If you're short on time CCS cases would be more high yield.

I was wondering if Uworld Step 3 is enough for MCQs? I feel like it's really skimpy & may not cover enough material - it does not even have a section dedicated to peds.

if you have already taken the real deal, did you feel like uworld step 3 (alone) prepared you for most of the MCQs?

trying to aim for a good score (not just a pass)

thanks in advance :)

I was wondering if Uworld Step 3 is enough for MCQs? I feel like it's really skimpy & may not cover enough material - it does not even have a section dedicated to peds.

if you have already taken the real deal, did you feel like uworld step 3 (alone) prepared you for most of the MCQs?

The uworld bank was pretty much all I did. First pass 66% correct and 2nd pass 88%. I read all the explanations carefully. I also did the nbme form 4, the uwsa, and Kaplan qbank. The uworld bank was the most realistic.

I did all the ccs cases too.

I got 620 on nbme 4 (1 week out)
I got 217 on uwsa (1 month out)

251 on step 3.

Reactions: 3 users

I was going to rely entirely on UWorld Step 3, but after going through all the GI questions, I noticed there wasn't a single question on Crohn's or UC (they may have added some in now). I found similar deficiencies in other subject areas where super important diseases or concepts didn't even show up once, so I supplemented with UWorld Step 2 material.

Question on UWSA's. I just finished mine, and my score came back at 240/168. When I looked at the analysis, a whole block of questions was omitted. Anyone know how the scoring system works? On the last block, I scored 1% better than average. Just trying to figure out if I need to reschedule my exam this week. :) And, yes, I was terrified at first!

I recently took Step 3 and wanted to share my experience here as reading this thread has given me a glimmer of hope, but also some anxiety. I am currently not in residency and took the exam in 2 consecutive days.

Prep:

Materials used: UW, MTB3, Crush Step 3 CCS, FRED

I studied for about 4 months in total. 1st month was packed with graduation-related activities and other events I could not avoid, so my studying was sporadic at best. I did Qbank in tutor mode whenever I could squeeze it in. I was also typing notes as I read through the explanations for each question. The second month involved relocating, but once I was settled into my new place, my studying became more consistent. By the middle of the 3rd month, I had finished my Qbank and instead of re-setting it, I created timed tests of my incorrects by topic. Concomitantly, I read MTB3 and made flashcards for the topic I was doing questions on. By month 4, I was pretty burned out and only reviewed my homemade flashcards. For CCS, I had been reading Crush on and off for the 4 months, taking in 2-3 cases a day until I covered all 120 cases. I also did all of the 51 interactive CCS cases in UW and the 6 cases in FRED. I really wanted to cover my bases well as I'm trying to match this year. Also, I am not the strongest test taker.

Test Day 1
I will echo what everybody else has already said about biostats on Day 1 - it has a pretty big presence, but mostly in the form of drug ads. For every block, I got maybe 2-3 drug ads and each drug ad was associated with 2-3 questions. To get through the drug ads, I just skimmed the questions and then scanned the ads to find the answer. And for the biostats calculations, I did several NNTs. Also, something I don't see mentioned a lot on here is the presence of ethics questions, of which there were plenty. The questions would start out like a clinical vignette but when you got to the bottom of the stem, you realize it was an ethics question. After running into a few of these, I decided to save on time by just reading the last sentence of each stem and/or scan the answer choices. As for the basic science questions, I felt as though there were a few per block. A lot of them tested your knowledge of drug mechanisms, which I did not review because I didn't think to do that. Stupid. Overall, it was a long and tiring day with a fair amount of guessing and feeling as though I knew nothing. Also, I felt like 1/3 of the questions were not answerable. I found myself striking out every answer choice for these questions and then having to go back and un-strike out the answers until I could just settle on one. The guessing never felt educated or safe to me.

Test Day 2
I was exhausted after Day 1 and didn't study much more for Day 2, though I wished I had. Day 2 was definitely more clinical management focused, as everybody else has stated. Unfortunately, the question stems were either too vague or they had 2 very similar and possibly correct answer choices. I had a great example of one that I can't even remember now but when I went home to look it up, there was no definitive answer. Who knows? After the 1st block, I was wiped out. I would say that stems were shorter for Day 2 MCQs, but still require a great deal of concentration to get through...definitely not 1-2 liners. Also, they were usually not laden with lab results and extraneous info. I had guessed on most of the 1st block and felt doomed going into the subsequent blocks. After a while, I just was on auto-pilot guessing and feeling absolutely drained of brain power. I took a long break after the MCQs and felt so sick I couldn't even eat lunch. I went outside, prayed for a hail mary and then went back in to tackle CCS.

CCS: For some reason, I felt extremely nervous going into CCS. I think it was partly knowing how much weight it carried and also knowing that I could possibly forget essential steps and screw this whole thing up. The first case was very straightforward and from Crush/UW so I knew exactly what to order and the case ended within 2 minutes. The next case was seemingly obvious based on the HPI until I ordered imaging and it was revealed to be something else. I panicked because I had forgotten how to manage the condition. I ordered pain meds because the patient was in pain and he somewhat improved. Then nothing happened so I ordered some more pain meds and the case ended. Maybe he died? There were at least 3 cases following that that were very bizarre. They seemed obvious based on HPI, but when you try to manage them the way you're taught to, they either worsened or nothing happened. None of my cases went through to the end (i.e., they all ended early), but not because I was managing them well, I think. I would say that only 7/13 went well, 3 were absolutely off the wall and I still can't figure them out, 1 was mismanaged and 2 I can't even remember. I also forgot to put in end orders for a few of them because I was so rattled. Probably lost easy points.

Post-exam sentiments: I couldn't sleep for the first week following the exam. I kept mentally kicking myself for guessing so much and also not figuring out all of my CCS cases. I can honestly say, though, that even if given another month, I would have done exactly the same thing on the exam. There is just so much you have to know and remember that it's not possible for many of us to feel confident leaving the exam. I am in the majority of people who think they failed. Hopefully someone heard all of my frantic prayers before, during, and after the exam.

Thanks for sharing! I took my Day 1 last Wednesday, (8/31). I felt pretty similar to you with the guessing on what felt like never-ending vague "which reasonable quoted line from Dr. USMLE are you going to pick", except that i knew I also made mistakes where I should have scored points (i.e. which CAH type was it... etc.). So tough to leave those on the table! I began thinking about how I could rattle off simple mistakes I made as a result of fatigue or loss of test taking skills, or whatever other excuse I had. It was remarkable because what I felt I struggled most with was content I don't know if I could ever truly prepare for. Almost like, "please Lord can we have a bread/butter medicine question now and again?". Then, as if to add salt to the wound, I saw things I was certain I put to bed years ago (i.e. TCC cycle). I wasn't even upset about missing this type of question, is this really what american patients had in mind when they wanted us to "meet credentialing" standards? The results of day 1 I won't know for a month now.

However, I have to ask -- what would you have done differently with the hours leading up to day two? I have reviewed about 25 of the CCS cases. I'm going to review them all fairly thoroughly until my exam next Tuesday. Is there elsewhere that you'd spend energy? I also find that USMLE world CCS cases seem to elaborate on details to the point that I'll be very unlikely to recollect when I have 3 minutes to type on a computer after 6 hours of questions (i.e. after saving a dying mans life, did you remember that one of the drugs you gave him requires a follow up BMP 8 days after discharge). Hoping both of our experiences end in a pass. However, I realize preparing for 4 weeks during the very beginning of my career as a resident turned out to be perhaps too much all at once. I've resigned myself to the fact that this could mean I'm back at this nonsense once more. With that freedom I'm going to try my best the next few days and leave it all on the table next Tuesday. I wish you well!