STEP 3 Score VS USMLE WORLD AVERAGE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FirstMANdown

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is a great thread for Step 2ck VS UW%. I though it might be helpful if anyone out there can give us there input with there Step 3 VS UW%...etc as well. Anyways Thanks for the contribution.

I'm do to take Step 3 in the next month. Will update this thread as well. For better or for worse. :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry could someone tell me how to access the NBME exam practice people are talking about. Is this the same as the 3 blocks of 90 questions on the website that you download and do for free with 3 of the clinical cases? Or is there a different test?

Thank you kindly

Just got my score back, exactly 3 weeks after I took it. Only used MTB sporadically and UW qbank with CCS.

USMLE World: 59% timed, random, all unused questions.
Actual score: 234.

A tad lower than previous steps but I didn't really care, especially since I took it early on in intern year. I practiced all of the USMLE world CCS cases and reviewed some of them the day before which helped my overall score. Going through the MCQ qbank more than once would have improved my score, but I don't care. Buh bye, usmle.

Last edited:
I did about 300 questions of USMLE World, and got 66% correct. I did all the UW CCS cases as well.

Just received my score today, 244. Definitely happy with this considering I studied for 2 weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Finally got my scores back.

Step I and II - 230s

Knowing that I am slow (read procrastinator), I bought the 3 month subscription to Usmle World and did all the questions over 2.5 months as time will allow only in tutor mode x48 questions and ended up with overall ~ 69%. This way I read all the explanations of the questions I got correct as well as wrong. Then I went over all the marked and wrong questions until I got all of them correct (after a while you start recognizing the stem and u know the answer, I think it was important to understand that concept rather than getting it correct on USMLE World). I did read through kaplan MTB once and then IM portion day before the exam. I did about 35 scenarios from CCS portion.

In retrospect, I should have done the questions in timed mode to get my timing better and not feel rushed during my actual test.

Actual Exam: IT IS LONG AND TIRING
Day 1: 7 x48 Qs. Office scenarios were shorter but me being a slow reader I was still having problems. Marked almost half the questions on first day. The sequential questions are the worst as you will know right away if you got that question correct or not. But main thing is not to dwell on it and just move on. There was a lot of bread and butter questions which you knew just looking at the stem and move on (about 5-10 on each section), then there were weird USMLE style questions where you go WTF ...main thing to remember is that you have 75 secs for each question and each question carries equal weight. So don't sit on one question .. I made this mistake in most of the sections on day 1 and had to rush through last 10-15 questions against the ticking clock. SO just mark and move on. DO NOT change your answer if u r in doubt (unless you blatantly read the Q incorrectly). .. ur first instinct is right ... did that both days .. changing answers and finding out later I was right the first time around but oh well. I had especially hard time keeping up with the time on ER portion of the exam - I think there were 2-3 of them on first day because of long-a** questions and no real time to think. Felt really rushed through that portion of the exam.

After the exam, I went through some CCS cases that I thought were high yield and i memorized the first time new pregnancy work up (being not from OB and never ordered those test as a cluster) .. and did nothing else .. just watched TV and relaxed. ...

DAY 2: 4x36Q - 2 each office and ER
Same thing. First set was extremely hard - marked about 70% questions .. but then rest 3 were your typical USMLE .. 20% you know straight away, 20 % no clue .. rest of them you can get down to 2 choices and click on one and move on.

Then 9 CCS cases (No I did not get the pregnancy case :( )
This portion I enjoyed compared to MCQs. Even after doing the CCS questions on UW, on some of the cases, it just went on and on until 20 mins...mostly because of how I did them. No way of predicting what you are going to get so no real way to prepare for these ..
- IMHO, while practicing these cases, what helped me the most was that I noticed that even if I knew what to order for each case, I would forget it when trying to put in all the orders quickly. Then, I came across one of the SDNers way of just writing the steps down of what you wanted to do (THANK YOU ... SENSITIVE SKIN) and this way I didn't miss any vital orders/tests on practice (and hopefully on real test).. but this will take a few minutes of "real time" on exam bt don't worry -... entering orders, if you have them in front of you and practiced in UW, takes less than 1 min).

Overall: I didn't have a good feeling about this exam (actually I felt the worst of all the Step exams I have taken) .. i was sure IF I pass it will be by a hair..

Real score ~235 (extremely pleased .. needless to say ... and consistent with my previous scores) .. and now applying for license and MOONLIGHTING :D

and GOODBYE USMLE!!! :D

Last edited:
Sorry could someone tell me how to access the NBME exam practice people are talking about. Is this the same as the 3 blocks of 90 questions on the website that you download and do for free with 3 of the clinical cases? Or is there a different test?

Thank you kindly

https://nsas.nbme.org/nsasweb/servlet/mesa_main

You have to pay a fees for these things .. i think around $50 or so. It is the portal for step 1, 2, and 3 tests so read which one you want to take -- CCMSA is for step 3.

Have not taken these so I can't comment on that.

Good Luck

My experience:

Studied on/off during an 'off' month about six weeks before the exam, and sparingly the two weeks prior the exam. Did about 60% of questions in 48 question sets in both timed and timed tutor mode; and about 80% of the cases. Overall percentage was 64%.

Actual exam was annoyingly long; afterward I felt confident I passed but felt it could be anywhere from 200 to 250. First day was all questions, mostly office based, 2nd day had 4 sets of ?36 questions and the rest cases. Cases were mostly straightforward except for one which bewildered the heck out of me.

One suggestion: write down the basics on the board they give you so you don't forget to order them (vitals, pulse ox, ECG, cardiac monitoring, IV, oxygen, CBC/chem, UA, urine pregnancy test).

USMLEworld percentage: 64%
Step I/II: 240s and 250's.
Step III: 230's.

Adieu USMLE!

Just got done with this beast. All I can say is, I am hoping - perhaps praying - to pass this thing. It's a long and very rough endeavor. A large chunk of the questions on day 1 were so vague that it was hard to justify why you'd pick one answer choice vs another. The CCS cases that I had today consisted of straight forward diagnoses that I was overall unfamiliar with for the overall workup. For some of the more common things, you know how to do the workup and the overall order of the steps (remember, process is more important than the final result or diagnosis). But for some of the less common diagnoses, I knew the diagnosis but not the exact steps to diagnose and treat the condition. Also, my computer froze and the whole system needed to be reset. In any event, thanks for people on this forum for posting their past experiences. I'm hoping I pass!

PGY-3 in EM
I did 50% of USMLE World on untimed, non-tutor mode. Averaged 60% correct. I went through all the clinic CCS and some of the ER CCS. I used Kaplan Master the Boards for spot review. I studied sporadically over 8 weeks.

Step 1 - low 220s
Step 2 - 218
Step 3 - 224/84

At least I'm consistent.

53% USMLE World/ Two digit 95 on the real thing.

I think USMLE is more effective in tutor mode. I didn't worry about my USMLE scored, I just made sure to read those explanations!

I did a lot better on the multiple choice, CCS brought my score down.

How did you go from a 53% on UW to a 95 2 digit score?

Did about 2/3 of usmle world, 65% correct, got 240 on step 3.

on a side note, my 2-digit score on step 3 was an 88. this does not seem to match up to my 3 digit score, based on past results. call me a whiner, but i think it's a typo. i even e-mailed fsmb about it, but they keep blowing me off. am i nuts?

Step 1: 199, didn't study
Step 2: 184, didn't study
Step 3: 224/84, 75% of UW, self-assessment, all UW cases, read first aid

avg 56% on qbank, had 63% (estimated 241) on the self-assessment. i thought the self-assessment was much easier than the qbank, so i'm not too surprised at my 3-digit score. the breakdown had CCS "off the scale." CCS i think can be a boost to your score if you approach it right. i thought the UW cases were pretty good. the only thing that was not consistent with the actual test was the turn-around time for the diagnostics.

however, the 2-digit score is much lower than i expected. past posts in this thread had scores just below 224 as low 90's. scores of 200's and 210's were mid to high 80's. this seems very inconsistent, but the last 2 posters' scores seemed consistent with mine. don't know if there's a mistake. maybe the recent tests were easier than before? i thought the 2-digit score is supposed to be more useful for comparing with older exams.

3-digit mean and SD according to the score report is 217 and 17.

\/\/\/ i got my score exactly 3 weeks after day 2

Last edited:
I took the test on 11/21 and 11/22. Would you guys think I'll get my score back on 12/7/11, which would be 3 Wednesdays, or likely 12/14/11? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
got my results 3 weeks later, to the day.

i finally got in touch with someone at fsmb about the 2 digit score who knew what they were talking about. the 2 digit score system changed as of Oct 1, 2011. That score is only for pass-fail purposes, so I don't know why the need, but oh well. the 3 digit score is supposed to be the one you use to compare people who have taken the test at different times, according to usmle.

Took mine in the second month of my Intern year (August). Hardcored Uworld for 2 weeks during an elective (5pm on free, weekends free), hated First Aid so stopped after a single chapter. 60%ish on Uworld. I, personally, am not a good test taker and require (usually) exponentially more prep time to get the scores I get. This time, it was a breeze.

232 on Step 3 (1 "month" of studying... really 2 "weeks"...of afternoon and weekends only)

248 on Step 1 (8 week prep with FA, Kaplan Lectures, and 2 Qbanks)
252 on Step 2 (8 Week prep with FA, Kaplan lectures, and UWorld)

I say this to illustrate that this test is not hard. Its grueling, for sure. But I, in my intern year, barely studied, and got an average score. I, who normally has to give up all my free time to study for Step exams to barely get on SD up from average, kicked this exam in the anus with hardly any work. I am in a medicine residency and took Step 3 before any ward work at all.

I will also say that it is easy to make up a lot of points on the CCS cases; drill those hard, do them all on uworld. And I mean actually do them. Getting used to the flow of the cases, how to order what you want, and how to make the system work in your favor is crucial. It constitutes a third of the test and can definitely make up for some of the missed multiple choice questions.

got my scores back
prep - 2 days of ccs cases and usmleworld & ,first aid
Uw - 62%
actual score 217/91

good luck

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] .Took 3 weeks to intermittently study during my PGY-2 year of dermatology. Studied ~5-7 hours/week of timed, tutor-mode random block questions. Completed 100% of USMLE World Qbank. Did 15 CCS cases to familiarize myself with the software, then read through the rest of the answers as I ran out of time. I reviewed the areas that I've had zero exposure to since med school in Crush Step 3, which I didn't think was very helpful.

The questions stems were not as long as others had reported. I had time to check most of my answers. The content on the test was quite random and those 2 part questions are laughable when you find out that you've already missed the first part. I left the test feeling confident, but had no clue where my score would fall. Overall it was exhausting and I had a difficult time focusing on the second day.

USMLE World Avg: 64%
Step 3 Score: 236/87

Received my score on the third Wednesday(at midnight) after my exam. Good Luck!

I just checked the candidate website for my score report, which was just published this AM (was not up last night). I took my test on November 21, 22, exactly 3 weeks ago. They did *not* email me saying my score had been released, so I would check the website directly. I was averaging 58% on USMLE world, I completed the Qbank basically in 1 week, doing about 200 question/day and did all the case studies. Felt I couldn't have prepared for this test. I'm doing a medicine internship year, though, and felt just showing up to work was the best preparation. I passed.

Step 1: 246/99
Step 2: 236/99
Step 3: 223/84

:) I'm a doctor! Good luck to all.

Thanks to many peoples' advice on this forum!

Also took my test on Nov 21st and 22nd and got my score back at midnight (unlike the poster above). I'm in a really great TY program and had about 7 days of studying. I also only had 1 floor month and 4 months electives under my belt when I took this exam - in other words, very little actual experience. I did UWorld, which includes the QBank and CCS/read-outs on the website. I got through UWorld and did all of the CCS cases (I actually did all of the cases, which I think is really important). I really had forgotten a lot of medicine when I started studying for this and at the end I felt like I was slowly gaining some knowledge. In other words, you'll learn quite a bit of stuff just during the process of studying for this.

The exam itself was really really long and tough. The question stems were surprisingly long, but I pushed through it and finished all the blocks with a few minutes to spare. Day 1 has 8 blocks I think of 48 questions, and Day 2 has 4 blocks of 36 questions. I didn't feel that there were any blocks that were super easy or super hard, most had a mix of tough questions and those that you kind of knew. I especially hated the multiple questions in line where you knew you got the question wrong immediately. Just have to blow past it. Take your time, and take plenty of breaks. Don't be one of those guys that blows past all of the blocks in 4 hours - the questions are long and complicated and you want to take your time/energy to figure them out.

As always, 9 CCS cases. You will know the diagnoses to all of them up front, but the trick is knowing the specific steps in their management. Definitely do all of the UWorld CCS (even go through them quickly, but get the hang of playing with the software) cases and read through the read-out cases too. You'll learn a lot and maybe even see similar things on the real deal. Unlike some of the people on the board here, I took my time getting through the cases. Most of my cases finished between 10-15 minutes into the case. Not bad, and I got a '*' on that part of the score report. The way I did it was to write down on the laminated paper the things I wanted to order, so I didn't forget. Then I would enter orders in. Worked well I for me...

Overall, glad I passed. I came out of test day really unsure about the exam, since there's just so much you can't study for. Good luck to the rest of you, and for you US medical grads out there please take the exam early in your intern year. Its not hard to pass, its good to get it over with, and can be a good learning experience for the rest of your intern year.

Step 1: >265
Step 2: ~260
Step 3: ~245

If a score of 50-55% on UW can equate to a pass on the Step 3, then I presume the Step 3 is easier than UW, right? It would have to be considering they usually say you need two-thirds right on the Step. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

If a score of 50-55% on UW can equate to a pass on the Step 3, then I presume the Step 3 is easier than UW, right? It would have to be considering they usually say you need two-thirds right on the Step. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

My UWorld average was something like high 60's to low 70's (overall) with 70's in many of my last few blocks (even a couple with 80's). I honestly felt like I was guessing on more questions on the real deal than in UWorld, so I don't know what to tell you. However, my UWorld Self Assessment was 250 and I got ~245 on the real deal.

My UWorld average was something like high 60's to low 70's (overall) with 70's in many of my last few blocks (even a couple with 80's). I honestly felt like I was guessing on more questions on the real deal than in UWorld, so I don't know what to tell you. However, my UWorld Self Assessment was 250 and I got ~245 on the real deal.

I will agree with Seldon. I had the same experience. Guessed a lot less on UWorld than on real thing.

I just took the Step 3 last week and I can only agree with your comments that I kept guessing a lot more often on the real thing that UWorld...oh well, we'll see what shows.

Studying experience:

I studied for this test for 10 months. Literally from mid January to mid November, with varying intensity throughout. I didnt have the benefit of experience as I have remained unmatched and unemployed since MD degree graduation in 2008... so I aquired my knowledge strictly from reading. My sources for this were two review books (Kaplan and Triage) and a little from the Harrison's on a couple of systems I felt I needed some extra help, as I focused by far most intensly on IM. On my first pass of reading I also wrote a big fat comprehensive review using all these sources, and on second pass I just read my thoroughly compiled review and condensed the nastiest of the most unlearnable into micro-reviews (no more than ONE page long for each system). I really felt comfortable that I had mastered quite well that knowledge after this regimen.

Did about 75% of UW questions with a 57% average, these were all unused/timed in 48 question blocks over a one month period, which seems to me like a pretty average average as far as UW users. I was increasingly worried as my scores initially increased, plateaued, and then actually started to decrease! How was I getting dumber??! :scared: So my average fell from 60% to 57%. This was my main reason for worrying about my future performance. My absolute range was within 42%-72%, but had mostly high fifties, and fourties only in my last few tests. I felt that the knowledge gained from reviewing these questions was so random and full of minutiae that it was probably going to be pretty useless, but pressed on diligently. By far the greatest benefit of doing UW questions was learing to use time judiciously.

I did all 52 or so UW cases, which I found infinitely more enjoyable and straightforward than the questions, not too difficult, just dissapointed that they werent automatically scored. Knowledge of how the software works is priceless and MUST be mastered prior to the test.

Exam Experience:

DAY I: "Is this what I studied ten months for??? I cant even tell WTF this question is even about...!" :uhno: were my actual initial thoughts. Maybe my first block was harder than normal, I can assume in hindsight, because later on I could tell what most of the questions were about. Every block had about 4 'related questions' bits, with about half being the kind you cant change the answer to the initial question (exceedingly rare in UW). I found the questions far more difficult to dissect than UW ones, having also to pick the 'best' out of 5 really poor options. Timewise I mostly did ok, nearly ran out of time in one block. Needless to say, the first day had beat me up pretty bad... it was a real bruiser.

DAY II: For the second day I had prepared myself for another bloodbath, but instead it felt a lot better. I dont know if it was the 36Q blocks, or if they were actually less difficult, or what. The cases were mostly all-new to me, only one or two of which I had practiced on UW. I really felt I did pretty well on most of them, running out of time on only one, but it was almost over anyway. Though I felt better about my performance on this day I wasnt too sure it would be enough to salvage the absolute and utter massacre from day 1...

Status Post:

Since I did terrible on Step 2 I wanted a good grade on this exam to offset that one. My results arrived three weeks later, 201/78, so I was understandably very dissapointed and frustrated. :bang: After the ammount of studying that I had put into this I really feel that I should have done much better, though I was relieved that at least I hadnt failed.

What do I blame? I suppose that my conclusion is that the question format here is mainly meant to confuse, mislead, and waste your time much more than to actually probe your practical medical knowledge. I feel they are quite malicious and unfair with that. I dont expect easy questions by any stretch, but I do feel they are very inefficient at measuring what is most important. On the other hand I may also just be dumb and/or a poor test taker. I wish the test had been all cases, not simply because I did quite well on them, but because at least those approximate real life experiences much more closely than multiple choice questions, and importantly account for correct/acceptable decisions or actions that are not 'the absolute best', such that a good management is not grouped among the atrocious but rather is rightly recognized as closer to the optimum than to the unacceptable.

So cases aside, after taking it, I dont think there is any specific way to study for this exam, period. Literally, if I had to take it again I have no idea what else I could do to get a better score. Even the difference in my performance (as measured on my score report) between topics that I had tripled down on and ones that I almost didnt even touch when studying was indistinguishable! :confused: Step 3 only tests exceedingly random stuff, not unlike UW, just totally different random stuff from UW (I found near zero overlap), and not core medical knowledge by any means.

If I have anything resembling advice it would be this: Learn generally as much as you can (include the rarest, next-to-useless knowledge clinically), and be a speed demon when answering questions. But if you did good on the other Steps you probably dont really need to study too hard at all from what I see on the other posts.

Also, for some reason up to Sept 2011 (2 months prior) my score of 201 would have corresponded to an 83 instead of a 78... Would have at least made me feel a little better... :(
[According to
http://usmle.org/transcripts/score-conversion.html#step3exams
something to do with a higher pass/fail score now.]

In Summary:

Step 1: 208/85
Step 2: 184/75
Step 3: 201/78
Study Time: 10 months
UW Average: 57% (with 75% of bank completed in 1 month)
Test dates: Nov 14/17, score reported on Dec 8

So... have fun!

Last edited:
I will agree with Seldon. I had the same experience. Guessed a lot less on UWorld than on real thing.

Same here. I seriously thought I'd bombed the test.

UW: 71%
Did about 10 UW cases; I found them very annoying
Score: 257/93

Same here. I seriously thought I'd bombed the test.

UW: 71%
Did about 10 UW cases; I found them very annoying
Score: 257/93

257 sounds awesome. Why is that 93? :confused:

What is the 3 digit score for a 99 and what percent should you have correct to get a 99?

And also, what percentage should you get right to pass?

Thank you.

Apparently the USMLE scoring system changed in September.

According to http://usmle.org/announcements/?ContentId=81, "The change in scoring procedures will introduce a more stable relationship between score scales in the future. Those receiving 2-digit score results under the new system will note that, in most instances, the 2-digit score associated with a specific 3-digit score will be substantially lower than it was prior to this change."

No idea what percent you need to get right to pass or to get a 99.

257 sounds awesome. Why is that 93? :confused:

What is the 3 digit score for a 99 and what percent should you have correct to get a 99?

And also, what percentage should you get right to pass?

Thank you.

Hi I took the USMLE Step 3, November, 2011 and this is what I did:

Studied for 3.5 weeks!

USMLE world, completed all the questions, 48q blocks, timed, all topics: score 63%
USMLE world, did all clinical cases
USMLE Step 3: score 207/79

Yes, not a great score but I just wanted to pass, so I can get my license and work!

USMLE: I'm done with you!

The best wishes for the upcoming exam takers and MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Step I: 265/99 (10/2007 after 12 weeks of studying)
Step II: 251/99 (5/2009 after 11 days of studying)
Step III: took 12/29/2011 after 14 nights of studying --- result pending

Preparation: I am a busy 3rd yr IM resident, so didn't have much dedicated time to study (just did questions for 2 weeks in the evenings after clinic).
First, I took the UW assessment test, which gave me a predicted score of 245. More importantly, it confirmed my weaknesses: Peds, Ob-Gyn.
So then I bought UW qbank and did timed exams in peds-obgyn (I specifically tried to select out IM questions, but every block still had 5-10 IM questions). Having taken 2 Internal Medicine in-service training exams during residency and doing well on them, I figured my time was better spent beefing up my weak areas.
Ended up doing ~40% of UW questions in this selected fashion (timed, peds and obgyn) before exam day. Ended up getting 64% correct overall.
Day before exam, I borrowed my friend's CCS UW bank, and tried to familiarize myself with the software and how we are supposed to solve the cases etc. In all honesty, this just frustrated me and I gave up after 45 minutes and decided to just figure it out during the tutorial in the real exam.

Actual exam experience: I took my exam after a 5-day nightfloat shift, so my circadian rhythm was all jacked up. Regardless, I fought sleep every day and persevered. Day 1 went very well and I finished each section with 10-13 minutes to spare. Day 2 (the MCQs part) went just as well as day 1, but I only had 5-7 minutes to spare this time because the number of question was less (36 Vs 48). Then the CCS cases: I read the tutorial well and felt like I had a good grasp on how to tackle the cases. The cases went well (luckily 7 of the 9 cases were IM cases). Never finished a case earlier than the 5 minute mark: just kept ordering stuff and following-up with the patient until the 5 minute mark. Only 1 case gave me a hard time and I never truly figured it out. As expected, it was a combined peds-obgyn case. I ended up running out of time in that case, only to realize that you don't get time to enter a diagnosis if you run out of time (I knew the diagnosis all the time, it's just that none of my interventions made the patient better). So word to the wise, when you get the 5 minute warning - just finalize your orders and enter your diagnosis before it's all too late.

All in all, I think the test went much better than expected. Hopefully that is reflected in the final score. Will keep you guys posted.

Preparation: I am a busy 3rd yr IM resident, so didn't have much dedicated time to study (just did questions for 2 weeks in the evenings after clinic).
First, I took the UW assessment test, which gave me a predicted score of 245. More importantly, it confirmed my weaknesses: Peds, Ob-Gyn.
So then I bought UW qbank and did timed exams in peds-obgyn (I specifically tried to select out IM questions, but every block still had 5-10 IM questions). Having taken 2 Internal Medicine in-service training exams during residency and doing well on them, I figured my time was better spent beefing up my weak areas.
Ended up doing ~40% of UW questions in this selected fashion (timed, peds and obgyn) before exam day. Ended up getting 64% correct overall.
Day before exam, I borrowed my friend's CCS UW bank, and tried to familiarize myself with the software and how we are supposed to solve the cases etc. In all honesty, this just frustrated me and I gave up after 45 minutes and decided to just figure it out during the tutorial in the real exam.

Actual exam experience: I took my exam after a 5-day nightfloat shift, so my circadian rhythm was all jacked up. Regardless, I fought sleep every day and persevered. Day 1 went very well and I finished each section with 10-13 minutes to spare. Day 2 (the MCQs part) went just as well as day 1, but I only had 5-7 minutes to spare this time because the number of question was less (36 Vs 48). Then the CCS cases: I read the tutorial well and felt like I had a good grasp on how to tackle the cases. The cases went well (luckily 7 of the 9 cases were IM cases). Never finished a case earlier than the 5 minute mark: just kept ordering stuff and following-up with the patient until the 5 minute mark. Only 1 case gave me a hard time and I never truly figured it out. As expected, it was a combined peds-obgyn case. I ended up running out of time in that case, only to realize that you don't get time to enter a diagnosis if you run out of time (I knew the diagnosis all the time, it's just that none of my interventions made the patient better). So word to the wise, when you get the 5 minute warning - just finalize your orders and enter your diagnosis before it's all too late.

All in all, I think the test went much better than expected. Hopefully that is reflected in the final score. Will keep you guys posted.
Thanks for the update!!! :)

64%= Uworld USWA = 225 Did half of Uworld and half heartedly the CCS cases finished OB/Peds/Surg. I am an intern who did MUCH better on Step 1 and 2 because I actually studied hardcore. 2 months of BS questions on Uworld timed random. Another plot on the radar.

Just got my results back. UWorld said I would get 237..on the real exam I got 242/89

I'm not sure I like their change of substantially lowering the 2-digit score for the corresponding 3-digit score..wouldn't that have been a 99 otherwise?..let's hope PDs are just as aware of the changes. oh well, USMLE done!!!

Step 3 score: 235/87
score breakdown showed equal performance in all areas with a couple reaching into the highest performance range and 4-5 overlapping with the borderline performance range. Somewhat surprised and disappointed with the result, but I'm grateful for passing with a great score given the short preparation time, being sleepy during the first exam day, and failing to enter a diagnosis for a clinical case.

Hope this helps someone with their preparation...and good luck everyone!

Took Step 3 the first time and failed it. I used Crush and MTB. Don't believe the guarantee by MTB!

The second time I studied with USMLE World and CCS. I still used Crush and MTB. There was a 30 point increase in my score to 215!

Regarding the CCS, my first performance profile score was borderline. My second score was a single asterisk on the right.

I really don't believe that I suddenly gained 30 points of knowlege between the 2 exams. Actually, it's bothersome to think that much of my success was determined by my familiarity with the exam software.

Took Step 3 the first time and failed it. I used Crush and MTB. Don't believe the guarantee by MTB!

The second time I studied with USMLE World and CCS. I still used Crush and MTB. There was a 30 point increase in my score to 215!

Regarding the CCS, my first performance profile score was borderline. My second score was a single asterisk on the right.

I really don't believe that I suddenly gained 30 points of knowlege between the 2 exams. Actually, it's bothersome to think that much of my success was determined by my familiarity with the exam software.

what did you do differently? I also failed my first round, ready through MTB once and did 1/2 of UWorld and ccs.

I took it more seriously the 2nd time. Should have spent more time studying for it, initially.

After getting my first score, I immediately applied to retake the exam and purchased the UW Q bank/CCS. First went through the Qbank 100% in tutorial mode, then another 2 times. Then, I started on the CCS. After 3 weeks I did the UW Self-Evaluation Exam and got a 226. At that point I was pretty confident that I would pass the exam on the second attempt. The following 2-1/2 weeks were spent on Crush, MTB and quick reviews of UW.

Good Luck!

I just took the Step 3 last week and I can only agree with your comments that I kept guessing a lot more often on the real thing that UWorld...oh well, we'll see what shows.

A fair amount of guessing, but for all but one of the linked questions, I guessed right. Hopefully that bodes well for the rest of the guesses. However, there seemed to be a lot of rheum questions and I can never remember which anti-whatyoumacallit goes with what disease.

For CCS I always felt like there was one thing I forgot from each case. At least at the end it said "thank you for taking care of this patient" rather than "way to go, you killed this patient."

Oh well, we shall see in 3-4 weeks:xf:

k, had my first day today.
Uworld, mixed, random, timed - 63%
UWSA - 229 (predicted)
practice materials - 78% right
the first 3 blocks were ok, had 10-15 questions per block that i felt had to guess on. out of these 5-6 were probably pure guessing
block 4,5,6 rocked me. first 10 questions were like wtf, and then it got better..
block 7 was ok till the end, ran outta time and left a question.
Seriously, with 258 on step 1 and 254 on step 2 a few months ago, i feel the step 3 is tougher beast. I am just hoping for a pass.
will update tomorrow.

alright, back from day 2,
the ccs things were a good relief from the questions. most of my cases ended early, i dont know if i won or the patient died :p. I had like an hour break time banked up from them at the end. It seems most of the cases were very straightforward, probably even less complicated than those from uworld.
the question blocks in the morning were brutal though, i ended up marking 10 out of 36 questions , yeah there were only 36 questions per block and they were harder. They seemed much more tricky or asking for something i didnt know..ah well, hope i passed this thing.

Hi

IMG PGY 7. Specialty: Anesthesiology. No US experience.

Step 1 215 in 2004
Step 2 210 in 2005
Prep time: 1 wk for each of those steps

Wanted to do better on step 3.
2 to 1 mo before did all Kaplan q. Tutor mode: 58%
1 mo - 1 wk before all UW. Timed mode blocks of 46: 63%
5 d before UW Self assesment: Predicted score: 229
NMBE form 1 4 d before: 490
Form 2 3 d: 640
USMLE booklet 2 d before ave 80%.
Did all CCS from UW on e starting 2 wks before.
Used FA. Read it 3 times. First time 2-1 mo before. Used Medscape as internet resource for high yield topics (diffucult q bank questions).

Full time job as senior resident, small kid and pregnant wife. Studied all my spare time and prepped
Actual score on step 3 237/87

Happy with that and I wanna thank to everyone who contributed to this thread. It's been very helpfull tfor planingn approach to this marathon of an exam.

Very very odd...I didn't receive an email, but checked the website anyway being that it was 3 Wenesdays and...

I passed!

Worst score of all the steps (211/80) but then I didn't study and just wanted to get it over and done with...which it is!

Can't say I will miss you USMLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS took the exam 1/24-1/25

PPS For anyone wondering if they should just take this stupid thing and get it over with: Yes, do it! Especially if you're a Family Med resident, just do it.
By far I did the worst on the CCS, but luckilly I did well enough on the mcq to make up for the horrible CCS.

Last edited:
Silent Observer of the Forum. Thank you for the Info was really helpful and accurate.
UW avg 65%
UW assessment 239
Actual Thing 220
Not happy about the score, but glad that I'm over with the Steps and starting to do some Moonlighting.

FMG from Scandinavia
Step 1 and 2 - mid-220's
UW % - 58% correct, only completed 50%

Just needed to pass, as I already have a signed prematch contract and just needed step 3 to be eligible for an H1B-visa. I completed medical school in the winter of 2009/2010, and finished my 1-year internship a year later. For the last year or so I have been involved in research with only little clinical work in Psychiatry. I only did 2 months of US clinical rotations as a medical student, so I do lack some clinical routine.

However, I decided to use 4 weeks to study for the exam. The 2 first weeks I did a total of 6-7 blocks of UW questions - so only used a couple of hours each day. The last 2 weeks I spend most of my time studying - went through MTB step 3 once, did 7-8 blocks of UW questions, and finished doing all the CCS cases from UW.

During the exam days I felt prepared, but was quite surprised with the huge difference between questions. Some were ridiculously easy, some crazy difficult, and some with extremely long question stems. I did manage to answer all questions, but seldom with any time left to take a second look on marked questions. The CCS portion was so-so - I kind of bombed 2 cases completely (one of them I never figured out the diagnosis, the other one just went on and on. I did forget some pretty basic things (e.g. Albuterol for a kid with bronchiolitis, which I added after 30-60 mins of virtual time, as the kid didn't really got better).

I walked out of the exam feeling like I passed it, and that the exam is doable and by far the easiest of the USMLE steps.

Final result - 219/82

Happy and pleased with my score, especially since it allows me to apply for an H1B-visa.

And finally a comment regarding the CCS cases on UW. I followed the long and heated discussion between OverActive Brain and Haresh, and I gotta go with Overactive. UW CCS cases are perfect for preparing for the real deal. Of course it has some flaws (as most software), but it helped me getting in sync with how to approach the case (read the story etc, order acute stuff if needed, do a focused physical and so on). I must admit that with my limited US clinical experience, it certainly helped me approach the cases in a good way, and I ended up with asterixis all the way to the right (higher performance).

Good luck to everybody who's about to take the exam - it feels so good to be done with the USMLE steps now!!!

After three weeks finally the last exam is done! 235/87, for two and a half weeks of studying I cant complain, so that about wraps it up.. I used kaplan qbank, finished with 60% + uworld's simulated cases
Overall stats: 252/99 step1, 245/99 step 2, 235/87 step3, its been a long road.. Glad to have some time now to relax

PS: I'm an IMG