STEP 3 Score VS USMLE WORLD AVERAGE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FirstMANdown

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is a great thread for Step 2ck VS UW%. I though it might be helpful if anyone out there can give us there input with there Step 3 VS UW%...etc as well. Anyways Thanks for the contribution.

I'm do to take Step 3 in the next month. Will update this thread as well. For better or for worse. :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Took Step 3 exactly 1 week after my derm inservice. I studied for 6 days on vacation - I did every single USMLEWORLD question at rapid-fire speed and repeated all incorrect until correct (first pass 55-65% except derm which was 100%, hah). I used First Aid as an outline - read each chapter then did all of the pertinent questions on Tutor mode. Practiced all the USMLEWorld CCS cases the day before - after the 10th case, I just used Microsoft Word to write out my plan instead of using the software (faster).

Score: 225/96

Very pleased considering my relatively little study time!

Has anyone who took exam after mid Feb gotten their scores back?

Took mine Feb 24th and got my scores today. Very happy! I think what worked for me was doing questions and reviewing them. I had Master The Boards, but barely opened it. I am so glad it's over and very happy with my score.

step 1 : 254
step 2 : 253

I did usmle world, about 80-90% of the questions over about 3-4 weeks (took many days off from studying). I averaged around 60% on first pass. Toward the end I was getting about 8-10% better than average.

I tried to do the case things but I couldn't make myself go through more than 10. The second day of the test I looked through the 100 cases at the end of first aid during a break. I'm pretty sure I lined up a baby that I didn't need to do anything for.

step 3: 242

Pretty amazed that it was that good since I really messed up one of the cases hardcore.

TIME TO MOONLIGHT!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Completed ~93% of UW in 1 to 1.5 weeks
Read Crush all the way through
Did ~40% of the UW CCS cases
UW SAS: 540, estimated 229
NBME CMSSA (only one form): 540. There is no score prediction (in other words, useless!)
Scored ~60-64% on UW qbank overall, averaged 64, MOSTLY in timed random mode, although I did some tutor mode too, and would change answers periodically when I made a purely stupid mistake... :oops: (this is why you should ignore UW percentile data, confounded by tutor mode and/or reviewed questions...)

Test day: made some stupid mistakes, and I knew it. Got angry at myself. Had several of those sequential questions where the second part gave away the first one's answer, and I knew I got the first one wrong. Total mind#$%&. Save those for last, for your own psyche, or you'll sit there stewing in your own fury like I did and likely get even more wrong! Also I completely bombed one section, ran out of time with >6 MCQ's left. Had a terrible FIRST case on my CCS, bombed that one big time, realized the diagnosis at the "5 minute mark" and my patient never improved. LOL. Other CCS cases I'm fairly confident I did well, most of them ended early, and I felt very prepared by my overall intern year experience, as far as work-up, orders, management, etc goes.

Actual test: mid 230's / 99. Very happy :)

My step 2-CK was much much higher, >240, however, if you look at the statistics, my lower step 3 score represents better overall performance, because I was one standard deviation above the mean on Step 3, but only 0.9 SD above the mean on step 2.

Do not view the 3 digit score as equal among all test administrations and all test formats. This is the reason you will see a widespread distribution of "lower scores" on Step 3 relative to prior exams among test-takers... step 3 average score and SD are both smaller.

I read this thread multiple times while preparing for Step 3. As a matter of fact, I was not a registered member until now, and I registered with the hope of maybe helping someone else with my Step 3 experience.

I am a 4th yr ortho resident and am far removed from general medical studies. As many of you may be aware, orthopods don't even handle UTI's much less neonatal sepsis. So, studying for Step 3 was a daunting task.

My study schedule was as follows:

Jan 15-30: slowly read Crush and the UW text version of the clinical cases ( a friend printed them off for me)

Feb 1: I started UW questions and CCS online

Mid march:

I finished all 1350 MQ and all 55 CCS then reviewed some of the MQ that I missed and the notes that I made while doing the questions. I averaged 58% on the MQs the first time through. I did the "USMLE provided" Step 3 practice questions and cases and averager 74%. Then re-read the medicine chapters of Crush.

As a surgical resident, my studying was sporadic since I work 12-14h days while taking call 1-2 times a week. That is why I spent 2 months studying bc I was unable to do any more than 1-2h/day. And on weekends off, I spent prob 6 hrs cumulatively studying.

Bottom line: I thought the test was VERY hard and actually thought about not even coming back for the 2nd day. I was sure I had blown it. The second day wasn't much better. I thought the cases were MUCH harder than the UW cases. 4/9 of my patients actually got WORSE after I worked them up and treated them. And on one of the cases, I ran out of time before I could even enter a final Dx. I was sure I had failed.

I took my test 3/21/2011 and 3/22/2011 and got my score on 4/20/2011. It was a 224. I was pleasantly surprised. I hope this helps.

The backed-up results were to be released starting yesterday (4-27-11) according to the USMLE bulletin. I was hoping to see some reports but nobody has posted anything yet. Did anyone actually go the results back yesterday or today?

PGY-2 FM. Just got my score today.
Exam Date 4/11/11

I averaged 63% on UW Q's. Actual score 232-99% on exam. I can't believe it! This was the least amount of studying I've done with the best results.

Good luck to all!

Got my score back.

Exam date: 4/19 & 4/20
Step 3 Score: 218

I read Crush then went through all USMLEWORLD questions (mostly on timed mode, never used tutor) and averaged 59% correct.

Looking at the score report, the CCS portion of the exam is where I had my most marginal performance. At least I passed!

Bye-bye USMLE!

So happy to be done, score in hand... Took the exam April 11-12th, got the score 3 weeks later!

Just did USMLE world, all but 100 qs in the bank, 62 percent overall. Did about half the case scenarios (way more than needed). the exam was a grind, but lots of similarities to the world qs, and lots of stuff that is just clinical judgement, can't really study for anyways... CCS portion of exam very easy, more important to know how to navigate than anything else. Anyway, step 3 score 225 (step 2 234, step 1 237), now just some paperwork between me and my california medical license!!! Good luck to everyone who still has to deal with this shizzle, it'll all be history soon!!!!!

I had about 9 days to study for Step 3. I read Kaplan's Step 3 book and completed 60% of USLME world qbank (only one pass, did not go back through questions I got wrong). I tried the USMLE world CCS and did about 2 cases before I gave up and just read through the 40 examples - I didn't like that it was all self-scoring and I only needed to know which tests/labs were expected to be ordered for each scenario.

Ended USMLE world at 57%, passed Step 3 with a score of 203. Step I/II scores were 226, 227. The CCS was by far my worst section and I definitely killed one of the patients. Hope this gives some people out there hope!

Was super-nervous about Step 3 because as a resident there is just minimal time for hardcore studying like in med school. I did USMLEWORLD, averaged 57%, completed about half of the q bank. Looked over very few CCS readouts. Just didn't have time for CCS practice and was a bit intimidated of it. I did familiarize myself with the software online though. Despite all this, PASSED WITH SCORE OF 208/86!!! Remember when it comes to Step 3, P = MD!

My words of wisdom: Do as much of USMLEWORLD qbank as possible. Read through the answers in tutor mode. Time yourself sometimes too, because I really felt pressed for time with the 75 seconds and superlong reading stems. Also do the practice CCS, because apparently lots are repeated on the acutal exam. Also if your CCS case ends early, that means you satisfied the requirements for passing that case early. Im pretty sure CCS brought me down and if I had done the USMLEWORLD CCS cases, I would have scored much higher. Anyway, I passed and that's all that matters...WOOOOOOT!!!

how many questions does usmleworld qbank have? I am trying to figure out when I should start studying for this thing!

Took this monster 4/21 and 4/22, got the results 5/11
I did 70% of UW with 58% correct, most of it in the week before the test
Did the UW self assessment with estimated score 218
Scored a 220 on the actual test, very happy to be done and was just hoping for the 187 so I'm pleased.
I highly recommend doing the free cases on USMLE website so you can figures out the CCS software. That was the most awkward part of the test. Easy cases, you pretty much know the diagnosis from the initial history, but not the most intuitive system.
Good luck to all and thanks to previous posters for the helpful info

Members don't see this ad :)
how many questions does usmleworld qbank have? I am trying to figure out when I should start studying for this thing!

USMLEWORLD QBank for Step3 has somewhere between 1300 and 1400 questions in it. Most of the questions have adequate explanations for why each answer is right or wrong.

I highly recommend doing the free cases on USMLE website so you can figures out the CCS software. That was the most awkward part of the test. Easy cases, you pretty much know the diagnosis from the initial history . . .

I just wish that knowing the diagnosis counted for something. Currently, even though the software asks you to type in a final diagnosis at the end of each case, your answer has no impact on your score. The CCS part of the exam is only interested in how you manage each case.

Last edited:
Going to take this abomination of an exam on tuesday (5/24-5/25). Hope that the material that is on it correlates with what I studied. I used first aid, crush step 3, and UW; I also took the NBME practice test. I got a 590 on the assessment and averaged a 62% on the world questions (completed 100% of them on timed test mode). I hope thats enough to pass.

Going to take this abomination of an exam on tuesday (5/24-5/25). Hope that the material that is on it correlates with what I studied. I used first aid, crush step 3, and UW; I also took the NBME practice test. I got a 590 on the assessment and averaged a 62% on the world questions (completed 100% of them on timed test mode). I hope thats enough to pass.

How was it? I'm going to be a FM resident, and need to figure out how to study.

I'm a little curious about the representation of USMLEWorld for this exam. The format seems a little different from this UWorld versus those for previous exams.

In particular, I notice that UWorld has a lot more blocked questions, compared to individual questions. Anyone care to comment if that is indeed the case on the actual exam too?

Just got my results back today. I did 100% UWorld questions and most of the CCS cases. I read the Peds, Derm, and OB/Gyn sections of Kaplan Master the Boards (doing a prelim year in IM).

UWorld average: ~65% near the end, ~60% overall

Step 3 score: 238/99

Very happy :)

In particular, I notice that UWorld has a lot more blocked questions, compared to individual questions. Anyone care to comment if that is indeed the case on the actual exam too?

It indeed is. On all of my sections, there were at least 2 blocked sections. Only a few were sequential (ie, you had to answer 1 before you could get to the next, and you couldn't change your answer to the first). I think there were maybe 3 or 4 on the test like that. I hated those questions.

Stats:
Step 3 Test Date: 6/4, 6/6
Step 1: 264/99
Step 2: 259/99
Step 3: will report back

UWorld QBank: 68% correct first pass in tutor mode
UWorld Self Assessment: 239

Preparation:
Read Kaplan Master the Boards and Crush Step 3
Completed 100% of UWorld QBank mostly in tutor mode, some in timed mode.
Ran through the 52 UWorld CCS Cases

Day 1:
7 blocks of 60 MCQs. I think I had 5 blocks that were office/community health and 2 blocks that were inpatient. Questions were very long. Felt rushed on all the blocks. Some barely finishing on time. Guessed on probably 50% of questions. Many media questions which took up more time. Also many blocked questions, at least 2 in each block, sometimes more. At least one were sequential where you could not change the answer after going on to the next question. Was killing myself over some of them after seeing that I got the question wrong when the answer is revealed in the next question.

Day 2:
4 blocks of 45 MCQs. I think 2 blocks were office/community health and 2 blocks inpatient. Questions seemed to be slightly shorter, but just as random.

Cases:
Pretty bread and butter cases, but definitely made some stupid mistakes on at least 2 of the cases. Ended early on all the cases except 1.

Time to give back.

Previous Stepz: 250+ I/II

TY at a pretty cush program.

Prep: studied during elective months, which came back-to-back at the end of this year. Began USMLE World qbank 60 days prior to exam date. Did ~48 q/day, always on tutor mode. Avg was 66%. Also did all CCS.

Exam impression: internship prepares you more than anything. And using good clinical judgement will get you through most of this test.

Result: 240+/99

It indeed is. On all of my sections, there were at least 2 blocked sections. Only a few were sequential (ie, you had to answer 1 before you could get to the next, and you couldn't change your answer to the first). I think there were maybe 3 or 4 on the test like that. I hated those questions.
At least one were sequential where you could not change the answer after going on to the next question. Was killing myself over some of them after seeing that I got the question wrong when the answer is revealed in the next question.
Thank you both for the feedback.

hi everyone. i thought i would contribute since i lurked here during my step 3 prep.

about me...starting a prelim surgery residency, hoping for categorical. wanted step 3 done to focus on absite. had time off after school and before residency to take it.

tools: UWorld qbank and ccs cases and FA

strategy: just did all of world and read about half of FA over 3 weeks

usmle world ave: 65%

real thing 221/93

pretty satisfied given the amount of time/effort i put forth. i would encourage anyone reading this to take it before you start residency especially if you are not an IM/FP person. every day since step 2 i could feel all the ob/peds/psych/med knowledge leaving my mind

hope this helps....good luck

I posted my experience in another thread here, posting it here again for the benefit of others.

My total preparation time was 3.5 months.
Just completed my exam last week. I think I killed a patient in one CCS case but rest of the CCS cases improved and I had this "feel good" factor with most of the cases and mcqs. Hoping to pass.

After doing the ccs workshop, I ended up doing Archer 36 hour video lectures along with their power-point notes for my theory preparation. These are highly useful if you are not yet in residency and would like to know how Step 3 questions are asked , some of the archer lectures hit the concepts right on target. This exam is nothing like Step 2ck so, prepare , prepare well. After completing archer lectures, I repeated UW questions and free blog questions from Archer question bank. My average was around 70% ( it could because I was doing them for second time but my understanding of the question much improved) . My NBME score stood at 460 a week before my exam and that is when I decided to go for it.

You could follow the strategy below which I think helped me the most
1. Do Archer 36 hour video lectures along with notes
2. Do UW questions. If you have time, repeat them , repeat at least the questions that you wrongly answered previously.
3. Do Archer blog questions, these are very common qs that you will see on the exam.
4. ********** workshop and then, self practice CCS cases on the orientation software .
5. Take NBME self assessment
6. GO for IT!

Stats:
Step 3 Test Date: 6/4, 6/6
Step 1: 264/99
Step 2: 259/99
Step 3: will report back

UWorld QBank: 68% correct first pass in tutor mode
UWorld Self Assessment: 239

Preparation:
Read Kaplan Master the Boards and Crush Step 3
Completed 100% of UWorld QBank mostly in tutor mode, some in timed mode.
Ran through the 52 UWorld CCS Cases

Day 1:
7 blocks of 60 MCQs. I think I had 5 blocks that were office/community health and 2 blocks that were inpatient. Questions were very long. Felt rushed on all the blocks. Some barely finishing on time. Guessed on probably 50% of questions. Many media questions which took up more time. Also many blocked questions, at least 2 in each block, sometimes more. At least one were sequential where you could not change the answer after going on to the next question. Was killing myself over some of them after seeing that I got the question wrong when the answer is revealed in the next question.

Day 2:
4 blocks of 45 MCQs. I think 2 blocks were office/community health and 2 blocks inpatient. Questions seemed to be slightly shorter, but just as random.

Cases:
Pretty bread and butter cases, but definitely made some stupid mistakes on at least 2 of the cases. Ended early on all the cases except 1.

Just got my score back!! It's true, score is released on the 3rd Wednesday after your exam at midnight. I can't believe it! Felt I bombed this thing, but I got a 252/99!!! way better than my UWorld Self Assessment. So for others that felt like they did poorly after the exam, you can be reassured. I ran out of time on one of my cases, and another case I gave the wrong TB meds. Good luck to everybody!

BYE BYE USMLE!

Just got my score back!! It's true, score is released on the 3rd Wednesday after your exam at midnight. I can't believe it! Felt I bombed this thing, but I got a 252/99!!! way better than my UWorld Self Assessment. So for others that felt like they did poorly after the exam, you can be reassured. I ran out of time on one of my cases, and another case I gave the wrong TB meds. Good luck to everybody!

BYE BYE USMLE!

Congrats! 3rd Wednesday as in 16 days after you finished Step 3?! That's fast! Way to rock it.

I felt like absolute crap when I left the exam. The first day was just so long and so many questions. Most of the two-parters I got the first question right but started to get more and more wrong as the day went on, which made me feel terrible. The second day, I honestly couldn't concentrate the way I would have liked to on an exam this big. I blew a lot of easy questions on the MCQ's, and blew one of the CCS pretty badly, not for lack of knowing the diagnosis but for lack of knowing how to order the correct treatment to satisfy the exam-bot.

So needless to say, I was worried about my score. I hoped just to pass, and thought I'd be really pleased with anything over 220.

For studying, I did USMLEWorld, got through about 40% of the questions in the 3 days I studied, and averaged 70% correct. That's all I did to study.

Step 1: 248/99
Step 2: 267/99
Step 3: 250/99

Pretty pleased, very surprised. The humor in knowing that I scored the worst on the test I studied the most for (step 1) is not lost on me.

Speciality: OB/GYN resident, PGY-1

Step 1: 197/81
Step 2: 242/99
Step 3: 231/99

USMLEWorld Simulated Exam (Took it ~4 weeks before the test): 233

Study methods:
Started actively studying in February after my inservice exams in January. Took in the test during the first week of June and got my score about 3 weeks later. Went through USMLE World questions X2 in tutor mode doing blocks of 25-30. First time around finished with ~62% correct. Second time around, ~75% correct.

Went through the USMLE World interactive clinical cases 1-2 times and the extra online cases once through.

I tried to use Master the Boards as my base textbook and planned on reading it once through but due to time issues I decided to just read sections on my weakest areas (Peds, Cards, Pulm). I had also planned on going through the errata section but never got around to it (guessing the incorrect information in the book isn't too bad). To be honest, the books out there for Step 3 are average. I glanced through First Aid and although it had some decent information, I didn't feel it was complete.

Your best bet is to stick with one book and keep going through questions and if there are topics you are weak on, going to a textbook or uptodate to get a base of information. My main study method is doing questions. The World questions are pretty solid and generally tested on subjects that may seem random but appear to be USMLE favorites. They contain a lot of good information in all of the explanations. And make sure to go through the World CCS to get a feel for the software and the timing situations in terms of patient follow up and advancing the clock. You want to be able to get through the cases as efficiently as possible on test day. I also recommend doing the world assessment as it did a pretty good job in terms of predicting my scores (I found this true for Step 1 and Step 2 as well)

Test impression:
First day:
Long day of testing. The worst questions are the sequence questions. If you select the wrong one, you basically know right away which is distracting. Key thing is to not dwell. Overall the questions are reasonable in comparison to the World QBank.
Second day:
Much shorter day. The question blocks are pretty easy to manage. The clinical cases were fairly straightforward although fairly varied in topics, peds/surgery etc. All of the cases finished very early except for 1. Cases are similar in nature to the World CCS. The diagnosis is easy. You just have to show a thought process/semi complete patient work up in the tests you order and things you do.

I felt confident that I passed. Just wasn't sure of what the score would be, (wouldn't have been surprised to see a score as low as 200 to be honest)

Last edited:
I thought this thread was very reassuring/helpful when I was prepping and I vowed to pay back after I got my scores.

Studied on and off for 2-3 weeks during my elective. Not very focused. Did a little more than half of the USMLE world questions. Got 57% correct in timed, random blocks of 48. Did about 20 of the practice cases to get a feel. read through most of First Aid except the Gyn section, cause that's my specialty:

Step 1: 227/93
Step 2: 232/94
Step 3: 223/94

Good luck to all!

I HAVE BEEN TOLD IT IS AROUND 60-65% CORRESPONDS TO PASSING IN usmle step 3. I hope that helps.:)

I'd say that's incorrect if you are saying up to 65% correct on Uworld = 187 on usmle. I averaged about 65% and scored well above a 187.

If you are saying that a 60-65% correct on Uworld almost guarantees a passing usmle score, then maybe true.

I'd say that's incorrect if you are saying up to 65% correct on Uworld = 187 on usmle. I averaged about 65% and scored well above a 187.

If you are saying that a 60-65% correct on Uworld almost guarantees a passing usmle score, then maybe true.

i concur...if you are hitting 65%, you should do much more than pass

I think he meant 65% correct on the test is passing.

Day 2 was much better; shorter and fewer blocks and CCS made for a welcome change of pace. In fact, even day 1 seemed less stressful compared to prior steps.

Used MTB, some CK books (Kaplan lecture notes) and UW Qbank for preparation. I don't think additional resources would have helped since most of the questions tested on common sense and clinical judgement rather than depth of knowledge. CCS cases were fair enough and I ended early on all but one that just didn't get better till 20 mins. were up.

I haven't had any post-grad training yet so was especially freaked out about taking this step. Now that it's done, I feel a bit too calm and that's kind of freaking me out :scared: (I guess I was gonna panic one way or the other).

Will get back with scores soon, good luck to all those waiting for scores or about to take the test :thumbup:

Can anyone tell me how long the UW self assessment and NBME practice tests are? Just trying to plan my remaining 10 days of study time...
Thanks!

UWSA has 4 x 48Q blocks, and you have an hour for each block. And I think NBME is the same.

I finished with Step 3, officially.

Step 1: 230's
Step 2: 250's
USMLEWorld: 62%

Day 1 had 5 office blocks of 48 questions, 2 ER/inpatient blocks of 48 questions.
Day 2 had 2 office blocks of 36 questions, 2 ER/inpatient blocks of 48 questions, then 9 CCS cases.

CCS cases were bread and butter, but somewhat odd. I think I did certain things out of order, and my first case was definitely messed up on a couple of aspects. Just hoping for a reasonable pass. We'll see in a matter of weeks...

For Step 3 studied off and on for about 3-4 weeks. Did mostly UW questions with very little reading beyond that. Completed 80% of questions on timed mode with ~65% correct. Started looking at CCS cases a few days before the exam and completed about 20 cases. The test was long, I felt the second day questions were easier than the first. Most of the case simulations were not difficult, there were 1 or 2 involving Peds/OB-GYN that were less straight forward. Overall I prepared for Step 3 MUCH less than the first 2 steps and it turned out fine.

Step 1: 230s / 99
Step 2: 250s / 99
Step 3: 230s / 99

Day 2 was much better; shorter and fewer blocks and CCS made for a welcome change of pace. In fact, even day 1 seemed less stressful compared to prior steps.

Used MTB, some CK books (Kaplan lecture notes) and UW Qbank for preparation. I don't think additional resources would have helped since most of the questions tested on common sense and clinical judgement rather than depth of knowledge. CCS cases were fair enough and I ended early on all but one that just didn't get better till 20 mins. were up.

I haven't had any post-grad training yet so was especially freaked out about taking this step. Now that it's done, I feel a bit too calm and that's kind of freaking me out :scared: (I guess I was gonna panic one way or the other).

Will get back with scores soon, good luck to all those waiting for scores or about to take the test :thumbup:

Score reported today: 230s/99.

UW Qbank average after first run in timed and mixed mode: 67%.
UWSA one week before test day: 245.

Last edited:
I finished with Step 3, officially.

Step 1: 230's
Step 2: 250's
USMLEWorld: 62%

Day 1 had 5 office blocks of 48 questions, 2 ER/inpatient blocks of 48 questions.
Day 2 had 2 office blocks of 36 questions, 2 ER/inpatient blocks of 48 questions, then 9 CCS cases.

CCS cases were bread and butter, but somewhat odd. I think I did certain things out of order, and my first case was definitely messed up on a couple of aspects. Just hoping for a reasonable pass. We'll see in a matter of weeks...
My score came back today. Step 3 was 210's. Which I'm fine with. Passing is what matters, in my opinion.

Giving back . . . one more data point to add to the set.

USMLE World first pass, tutor, 57%
USMLE World self assessment, 220
Step 3, 221

Nothing to write home about. Of note, I did terribly on CCS, and all my cases finished WAY early. Oh well. Good luck everyone.

wrote on august 30th, 2011. just completed residency in canada. studied around 6 weeks, but most intensely 2 weeks before the exam. used kaplan master the boards and UW. completed all questions in UW (CCS and MCQ), averaged 62% on MCQ.

actual score 246/99.

would highly recommend UW for the practice CCS as it took some time to learn how to navigate through the program efficiently. all of the cases on the real exam were new to me (i.e., none were repeats from those on UW).

good luck!

Just finished the test today. IMO, it felt fairly hard. There was lots of questions I could get down between two choices but not more than that. CCS was fairly straight forward, but I'm sure I missed things. No one died, so maybe that's good.

UW average: ~62% on the first go-round. I got up to 71% eventually, but that includes repeated questions. I read some of MTB but really couldn't concentrate enough to make it through it.

Step 1: 250s
Step 2: 240s
Step 3: All I want is to pass

Honestly, I could see failing this test. I don't think the old #2 pencil rule applies well to residents who don't have tons of exposure to bread and better clinical medicine. Maybe it works for FM people, but I don't think it would work too well for me as a psych resident.

I'll update this in 3 to 4 weeks with my actual score.

Averaged 65% on UW (all timed, random sets of 48). Did questions during an easy elective (yay for transitional years). I bought first aid, but only read the intro and casually looked at a few of the CCS cases. Took one day to look over the CCS on UW and got through 15 or so. I've only had a surgery and emergency medicine block prior to studying. Took the test on 9/12-9/13 (a week earlier than planned given scheduling constraints). Was super-worried about my performance on CCS given my lack of preparation and preparing myself to be happy with any passing score.

CCS xxxxx was almost touching borderline.

Step 3: 247.
Step 1 & 2: 250s

Good Riddance to USMLE licensing exams!!!!!!

Conclusion: It seems almost impossible to predict how you performed based on your feelings after the exam.

Last edited:
OK, just got my score. See my post above for averages and whatnot.

Step 3: 222/94

I'm totally happy with this! I started to worry that I failed because I always felt so much better walking out of these exams. Of course, as you can see, I've always done better on these exams. But all I need to do is pass, and I did.

My studying -- did UW about 1.5 times through in timed tutor mode. Also did the CCS questions on UW about 2 times through. My CCS score was on the higher end, so I'm glad I did that. I read about 15 pages in MTB but couldn't get any further in it. And I'm a psych resident, so my exposure to general medicine has been pretty minimal (4 months total last year).