USMLE STEP 3 Trick Works!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chamorro12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The "trick" still works. Here's how it played out for me:

-NBME (apps.nbme.org) permit link disappeared early Sunday AM
-FSMB (usmle.fsmb.org) changed from "active" to "expired" early Monday AM with no link to reapply

Score report was available Wednesday 12:00 am Eastern Time on NBME (https://apps.nbme.org).

Members don't see this ad.

• Dislike
Reactions: 5 users
Hi all, was hoping you can clarify something! Took my test 06/03 & 06/04 (Mon and Tues) and thought I was getting my scores this week (3rd Wed after test) but I still have my permit link up and the fsmb website has not changed...does that mean I have to wait another week??? Anyone else waiting??

Hi all, was hoping you can clarify something! Took my test 06/03 & 06/04 (Mon and Tues) and thought I was getting my scores this week (3rd Wed after test) but I still have my permit link up and the fsmb website has not changed...does that mean I have to wait another week??? Anyone else waiting??
I’m in the same boat, same day and everything

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here! I have a bunch of friends who took their step 3 in the past few weeks, the date for link disappearance and change of status from active to expired varied. Most of them had it Sunday, Monday respectively, some had their their link disappeared the week before but change of status Monday.

And if you search you find a lot of people had their permits disappear Monday and their status change Tuesday (I think ours as well).

However, the good reassuring thing that all of them who didn't have the yellow start button to reapply, passed. So for them trick worked, I hope it works for us as well.

Same here! I have a bunch of friends who took their step 3 in the past few weeks, the date for link disappearance and change of status from active to expired varied. Most of them had it Sunday, Monday respectively, some had their their link disappeared the week before but change of status Monday.

And if you search you find a lot of people had their permits disappear Monday and their status change Tuesday (I think ours as well).

However, the good reassuring thing that all of them who didn't have the yellow start button to reapply, passed. So for them trick worked, I hope it works for us as well.
Where do you find this yellow button

God forbid if someone failed, would find it at the bottom of the grey box when status changes to "expired"
Well don’t I don’t have it now, but status still says approved. So let’s pray that none of us gets the yellow box of death.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the help/reassurance everyone! My permit disappeared around 9 or 10 am Monday and my FSMB website registration just changed to expired with no yellow button around 5 am Tuesday. PLEASE let this trick work!!! Wishing you all the best!

Members don't see this ad :)
Me too. My permit link disappeared yesterday morning and my status changed to expired this morning. No yellow box or link to reapply. Just the grey box. I am praying for the best.

My exam was horrible. Day 1 which I had thought was bad eventually became better than my Day 2. I messed up several CCS cases. I had to take a break after each case to go out and cry and call a friend because of how badly I felt. I couldn’t get out of bed for 2 days after my exam. I took the test a week before I started orientation (I matched this year) and I can’t wait to be done with USMLE for good.

UWSA1 (3weeks before) : 200
UWSA2 (a few days before): 210

But I didn’t take it I’m exam mode. I would stop after each block or during the blocks and review. I had 2 days between days 1 and 2 and I couldn’t do any studying on the first day. I just stayed in bed and watched Law and Order SVU throughout. I did about 15UW cases the next day.

Around 10 of my CCS cases were ER cases (both 10 and 20mins). For 2 cases I actually had to wait for time to run out because I didn’t know what to do after investigations. I had another patient decline an invasive procedure. A number of my patients complained of worsening outcomes. About half had partial relief of symptoms. And some ended before I could even get labs and imaging back.
For day 2 MCQs, I missed a lot of easy questions. I was so devastated. I got most of my 2 in 1 questions wrong for day 2 ( got most of them for day 1 right).

All I’m all I am trusting God and keeping the faith. Good luck to us all!

I just found an older post in this thread where someone that failed didn't see the link to reapply until after they received the failing score. I've been checking like a maniac because this is my fourth attempt and I don't see the link under the expired box....don't wanna give myself false hope but really just want some peace of mind.

What was everyone's eligibility period? I feel like that also affects if you would have the link before the score comes out.

This “trick” does NOT work. Took the test 4/17 & 19 (no eligibility period extensions). Failed today (193). I didn’t have the link to reapply until an hour or so AFTER I had gotten my results.
What was your eligibility period for the exam?

Yeah but I wanna hear of someone who has the link under their stuff to see if this trick is even real. Because I haven’t heard a single thing about it.
So far on all forums, what I found all people who got the link (not so many) or the yellow button failed so the sensitivity of having the link and fail is 100%.
But looks like not having it and still pass is 98% (Correlates to % of MDs passing the test)

So far on all forums, what I found all people who got the link (not so many) or the yellow button failed so the sensitivity of having the link and fail is 100%.
But looks like not having it and still pass is 98% (Correlates to % of MDs passing the test)
Okay. I wish I had just checked the other times I had failed to see if that link came up, but since I don’t see it I’m just gonna hope for the best. Will do another workout class to distract me from it.

Congrats, can you please share your experience?
My exam was horrible. Day 1 which I had thought was bad eventually became better than my Day 2. I messed up several CCS cases. I had to take a break after each case to go out and cry and call a friend because of how badly I felt. I couldn’t get out of bed for 2 days after my exam. I took the test a week before I started orientation (I matched this year) and I can’t wait to be done with USMLE for good.

UWSA1 (3weeks before) : 200
UWSA2 (a few days before): 210

But I didn’t take it I’m exam mode. I would stop after each block or during the blocks and review. I had 2 days between days 1 and 2 and I couldn’t do any studying on the first day. I just stayed in bed and watched Law and Order SVU throughout. I did about 15UW cases the next day.

Around 10 of my CCS cases were ER cases (both 10 and 20mins). For 2 cases I actually had to wait for time to run out because I didn’t know what to do after investigations. I had another patient decline an invasive procedure. A number of my patients complained of worsening outcomes. About half had partial relief of symptoms. And some ended before I could even get labs and imaging back.
For day 2 MCQs, I missed a lot of easy questions. I was so devastated. I got most of my 2 in 1 questions wrong for day 2 ( got most of them for day 1 right).

I had a lot of biostat and drug ads on day 1. None on day 2.

First, thank you one and all for sharing their experiences and guidance.This group is really helpful for me.It is time for me to post my experience.
Total preparation time : 3 months.
Resources used : Uworld , step 2 ck uworld tables,step 1 first aid for pharma and micro.
Gap between my step 2 ck and step 3: more than year.
study plan: totally dedicated for step 3.
ccs resources: Uworld , ccscases.com
Assessment: USWA 1: 198 ( 1 month before exam)
USWA 2: 204 ( 2 weeks before exam)
Final score: 233
USWA were not predictive for me.Hope this helps who are taking this last exam.
Any questions please comment,happy to help.Thank you and all the best.

My experience is not typical at all and I am not sure how useful it is gonna be, but just to say please persevere and never give up, it is so doable!!

I am an old IMG grad with previous home residency and experience, I have been doing research in the US for 3-4 years now.

Total preparation time : 1 month with a full time job, living with a wife (also doing the test) and 2 kids, I didn't take any time off from work, just the first day of exam as the second day was on a weekend.
Resources used : Uworld step 3 only, one round of 54% correct answers mostly subject wise and timed, the last 3rd was mixed, first aid one night before day 1, just refreshed antibiotics and some tables in micro. For Biostats, I relied on what is in uworld I even didn't launch the uworld biostats.

Gap between my step 2 ck and step 3: 9 months
Gap between day 1 and 2: 1 day
CCS resources: Uworld (only)
UWSA 2 (only): 188, 5 days before the exam (Imagine!), I still went to the exam because the first 3 blocks were good on this assessment only last block was bad so I knew it was just because I was tired that day, and I knew I could pass, and all what I needed was to pass.
Final score: 207 (more than I expected)
I literally Jumped 19 points up from UWSA 2, so it wasn't predictive for me at all!

First day was like step 1, a lot of biostats (6-8 questions per block), mechanisms of action, etc.. my feeling was acceptable.
Second day, the questions were so tricky, some you will recognize straight away and most you will be narrowing your choices between 2 uneasy choices. But in the CCS, I thought I was gonna fail, because 2 cases I could never solve, and I had some technical problems happening in other 3-4 cases, like suddenly patient is at home and I wanna return him back to clinic I click on ER instead loool etc, and some stuff like that. When I went out I wasn't too positive and I said to myself if I would fail I would be so close to pass, but thank God I passed and the trick worked for me.

Best of luck for every one.

Took test back on the 13/14th of June. Did anyone else take around then? Is anyone else hoping/expecting score this week? My interactive website still says "active" and I still have a link, but the link takes me to a page that says:

"Application error: Permit is not available. The candidate may have sat for the exam or the registration is no longer active."

So ready to be done with the anxiety of waiting for this score...

Took test back on the 13/14th of June. Did anyone else take around then? Is anyone else hoping/expecting score this week? My interactive website still says "active" and I still have a link, but the link takes me to a page that says:

"Application error: Permit is not available. The candidate may have sat for the exam or the registration is no longer active."

So ready to be done with the anxiety of waiting for this score...

I have the exact same thing and I took it June 17/22

Did anyone lose a permit link? I havent, just checking in
Nothing yet. Still in the exact same spot I was on Tuesday.

Link still present to an unavailable page. Still says "active". Hopefully next Wednesday... Took June 13th and 14th.