USMLE STEP 3 Trick Works!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chamorro12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The "trick" still works. Here's how it played out for me:

-NBME (apps.nbme.org) permit link disappeared early Sunday AM
-FSMB (usmle.fsmb.org) changed from "active" to "expired" early Monday AM with no link to reapply

Score report was available Wednesday 12:00 am Eastern Time on NBME (https://apps.nbme.org).

Members don't see this ad.

• Dislike
Reactions: 5 users
Passed guys! Almost 20 points above UWSA given 1 day before my exam. Exam was rough, but I'm glad its over. Don't sweat it out over the trick. It 'worked' for me, but a few people it did not.

Reactions: 1 user
PASSED!!! Praise the Lord!!!!

The trick works!! Took my exam on 5/3/19 and 5/6/19. Permit disappeared this past Sunday, FSMB status became Expired with grey box and no link to reapply on Monday. For those who didn't pass, don't give up. Continue studying but limit your resources to only a few and remember to practice your CCS cases. Do not overlook your CCS studying.

Cheers.

I understand results are available on NBME site (Tuesday mid-night). Do we get email with score at the same time? Thx

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I understand results are available on NBME site (Tuesday mid-night). Do we get email with score at the same time? Thx

No. you get it on Wed at 9am, but the email is not important. It is your score report that's released at midnight. lol.

ahh permit disappeared, but FSMB site still says, " Status: approved". No expiration yet.

FSMB: Your step 3 application has expired. You may begin a new step 3 application at your convenience.
I failed :cryi:

FSMB: Your step 3 application has expired. You may begin a new step 3 application at your convenience.
I failed :cryi:
That is the normal message received by many candidates who has passed. Do you have link to create new application and a yellow button? If so, result 'may not be' favorable.

That is the normal message received by many candidates who has passed. Do you have link to create new application and a yellow button? If so, result 'may not be' favorable.
Oh wow -- really? I thought, "You may begin a new application at your convenience" meant bad news bears. I was so upset. Thank you for replying. There is no link or yellow button, so I still have hope. Thank you so much for clarifying.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I gather from this thread, our results should be posted at midnight tonight. I'm not certain where though.

Trick worked. Passed.

First day was terrible. Left 2-3 on each section just putting A A A. Day two was much better. Questions very similar to Uworld. Ccs was suppppperrr laggy. On Uworld ccs I was able to order everything and get to the end no problem hitting around 90% of why they wanted while only fast fowarding to the next result but on the real thing, when I tried to do that I didn’t get anywhere because of how slow the software is.

Good luck to all!!!

This trick didn’t work for me. Last day of exam 5/17. My permit expired the other day without a link to reapply, but no score

Last edited:
Thank you, do you by chance still have your UW Step 2CK notes to share?
Yes I still have my notes. However there is approximately 1000 pages of notes. I will start scanning them soon.. but I will need some time to get done with it

Hey I have a quick question. If you took step 3 on may 7th and 9th, should your score have released today? Asking for a friend. Please answer!

Hey I have a quick question. If you took step 3 on may 7th and 9th, should your score have released today? Asking for a friend. Please answer!
Ur friend should have received result this week as 4 weeks has passed. What is the status of NBME/FSMB?

Took exam may 19&20. It is Sunday, 3 weeks out, checked the portal today and no permit is available to print (it was this morning). Hopefully good news!

Took exam may 19&20. It is Sunday, 3 weeks out, checked the portal today and no permit is available to print (it was this morning). Hopefully good news!
Hey, I took mine around the same time, 5/20 and 5/24, and no permit is available.. When you sign into FSMB and look at your step 3 application does it show approved or expired? I think the “trick” (as described in various forums) requires the application status to be expired with no link to reapply to indicate a potential pass .. mine hasn’t changed to expired yet so wondering if anyone else’s has ?

Hey, I took mine around the same time, 5/20 and 5/24, and no permit is available.. When you sign into FSMB and look at your step 3 application does it show approved or expired? I think the “trick” (as described in various forums) requires the application status to be expired with no link to reapply to indicate a potential pass .. mine hasn’t changed to expired yet so wondering if anyone else’s has ?

When I log into FSMB, the top of the page in red states ”your account has not been assigned a federation ID”
Furthermore, the USMLE step 3 box is grey, and there is no link to reapply. However, the website has been that way since 1 day after I took the test. The only thing that changed was the NBME portal permit disappearing today.

When I log into FSMB, the top of the page in red states ”your account has not been assigned a federation ID”
Furthermore, the USMLE step 3 box is grey, and there is no link to reapply. However, the website has been that way since 1 day after I took the test. The only thing that changed was the NBME portal permit disappearing today.

I do think that this “trick” is a mere coincidence considering 98% of MDs pass this test

Hey, I took mine around the same time, 5/20 and 5/24, and no permit is available..
I do think that this “trick” is a mere coincidence considering 98% of MDs pass this test
Yeah, extremely likely it’s a coincidence.. but would’ve been nice to have something to calm myself down a bit until Wednesday lol.. I hadn’t checked the portal for my permit until today and it was already gone when I checked today so not sure when that happened..

Hey, I took mine around the same time, 5/20 and 5/24, and no permit is available..

Yeah, extremely likely it’s a coincidence.. but would’ve been nice to have something to calm myself down a bit until Wednesday lol.. I hadn’t checked the portal for my permit until today and it was already gone when I checked today so not sure when that happened..
Best of luck, mate!

Looked at FSMB again this morning and it shows status as expired with no link to reapply ... hope this is a good sign as people claim it is ..

Took on the 23rd and 25th, permit disappeared, fsmb "expired," no links to reapply anywhere. This would be 3rd Wednesday after exam, and if I recall correctly it should be 3-4 Wednesdays after the exam. Sounds like this is the week. Wish me luck, I'll report back.

Last edited:
Took on the 23rd and 25th, permit disappeared, fsmb "expired," no links to reapply anywhere. This would be 3rd Wednesday after exam, and if I recall correctly it should be 3-4 Wednesdays after the exam. Sounds like this is the week. Wish me luck, I'll report back.
Good luck!

Tonight’s the night! Who else is expecting their scores today and how are y’all coping with the anxiety of waiting?

waiting for my score tomorrow. this is my second attempt, and on Monday morning my status had changed to expired with no yellow link to re-apply.

HOWEVER, the trick did not work for me last time, with a failing score (195) despite the same status change indicating that I would pass.

so I don't know what to think right now. I'm hoping the trick still holds true. another person offered an explanation that the first time I took it was during the dec-jan-feb delayed reporting period, and that I had taken my test at the end of my eligibility period (which was already extended), so I don't know if those may be potential explanations.

best of luck to everyone, let's put this stupid thing behind us. may the force be with you

Reactions: 2 users
waiting for my score tomorrow. this is my second attempt, and on Monday morning my status had changed to expired with no yellow link to re-apply.

HOWEVER, the trick did not work for me last time, with a failing score (195) despite the same status change indicating that I would pass.

so I don't know what to think right now. I'm hoping the trick still holds true. another person offered an explanation that the first time I took it was during the dec-jan-feb delayed reporting period, and that I had taken my test at the end of my eligibility period (which was already extended), so I don't know if those may be potential explanations.

best of luck to everyone, let's put this stupid thing behind us. may the force be with you
this is unsettling. we will know for sure in 12 hours

That’s terrifying ..I’m so sorry that you had to go through that .. I hope it works for all of us this time!

Where does one find the score report? Is it on the FSMB portal? I want to check it tonight and not wait for the email because I doubt I will be able to sleep if I don’t .:

google "apps nbme reports" it brings you to the specific apps.nbme.org login page where you can access score reports

this waiting is a bitch, literally having palpitations. I hate it, but finally close to the score release and not having the uncertainty anymore

Passed with a 212 (improved from 195) :') holy sweet jesus I can breathe again. once I stop shaking. my best wishes to everyone today. **** this test and **** ever looking at uworld again

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone gotten theirs yet? I’m an IMG and we don’t use the nbme website so I’m looking at the FSMB site and nothing yet ..

Pass. Guess the trick worked for me.

Congrats, can you share your experience and materials? Thank you
UWORLD Qbank, Stats Package (useless), CCS, First Aid for Step 3.
If you want to crush Stats on all USMLE, watch youtube video: "biostatistics summary step 1 the basics usmle" and
"biostatistics summary step 1 - the extra stuff" 1-2 days prior to the USMLE. Anyone can crush the stats section

UWSA1 one week prior to my test: 168
In that one week, I did a pass through first aid for step 3, watched you-tube videos for stats, and completed CCS.
Real score 1 week after UWSA1: 208 with Standard Error of 8; was even across the board in all subjects

Long time lurker here. So, can someone clarify if the trick actually works? Because I saw someone post that the trick didn’t work for them...so anxious...

This “trick” does NOT work. Took the test 4/17 & 19 (no eligibility period extensions). Failed today (193). I didn’t have the link to reapply until an hour or so AFTER I had gotten my results.
So, had you taken it before? Wondering if that makes a difference.