USMLE STEP 3 Trick Works!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chamorro12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The "trick" still works. Here's how it played out for me:

-NBME (apps.nbme.org) permit link disappeared early Sunday AM
-FSMB (usmle.fsmb.org) changed from "active" to "expired" early Monday AM with no link to reapply

Score report was available Wednesday 12:00 am Eastern Time on NBME (https://apps.nbme.org).

Members don't see this ad.

• Dislike
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if its 3 or 4 Wednesday if the second test day was on a Saturday?
My days were 04/23 and 04/27 - just wondering when I should be expecting scores

Link disappeared yesterday afternoon, which was Sunday. This morning (Monday) the status was updated to Expired with no link to reapply. I took Day 1 on 4/15 and day 2 on Day 2 on 4/24. Fingers crossed!!! This was the most hard exam ever: so vague, so intuitive, so exhausting, so much guessing. This is the exam that makes no sense whatsoever. Hopefully the trick works... Good luck to all of us!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Link disappeared yesterday afternoon, which was Sunday. This morning (Monday) the status was updated to Expired with no link to reapply. I took Day 1 on 4/15 and day 2 on Day 2 on 4/24. Fingers crossed!!! This was the most hard exam ever: so vague, so intuitive, so exhausting, so much guessing. This is the exam that makes no sense whatsoever. Hopefully the trick works... Good like to all of us!

Let us know! I was hoping for my score report this week took exam 04/23 and 04/27, but permit is still up and status still approved. So guess next week.

Trick worked! last exam 4/20 (saturday), 4th wednesday for result. Extended period used and so the permit disappeared long ago. Status became expired monday morning with no link to reapply. DONE.

This “trick” does NOT work. Took the test 4/17 & 19 (no eligibility period extensions). Failed today (193). I didn’t have the link to reapply until an hour or so AFTER I had gotten my results.

This “trick” does NOT work. Took the test 4/17 & 19 (no eligibility period extensions). Failed today (193). I didn’t have the link to reapply until an hour or so AFTER I had gotten my results.
I am sorry to hear that, you will be fine, thank you for letting us about your experience

Hi

I'm so sorry to hear you result. Can you please let us know more about your prep and your UWSA score in case you gave it? I'm waiting on my Step 3 results and I'm quite anxious as well given the circumstances under which I had to take my exam.

Hi

I'm so sorry to hear you result. Can you please let us know more about your prep and your UWSA score in case you gave it? I'm waiting on my Step 3 results and I'm quite anxious as well given the circumstances under which I had to take my exam.

Psychiatry PGY2 here.

First attempt Christmas week 2018.
Did UWorld 3 QBank, half-assed UWorld CCS & Biostats, went through MTBs. Halfway through Day 2 I knew I was failing. Sure did (187).

Second attempt April 17 & 19.
Re-did UWorld 3 twice (had most questions near memorized), did through UWorld CCS twice (both the simulations and the read-only cases), really dug into MTBs, read Step 3 Secrets, did some Online MedEd vids for my weaker topics, read the Biostats practice material, got a 204 on UWorld Self-Assess module #2. Felt significantly better throughout both test days.
Got my results earlier today — failed with a 193.

Anybody waiting for your score tmr? my permit disappeared long ago and status expired on friday with no link to reapply... i hope trick still works

Anybody waiting for your score tmr? my permit disappeared long ago and status expired on friday with no link to reapply... i hope trick still works

I had the same thing, my permit disappeared last week early and expired status since Friday. No link to re-apply.

We shall see.

4/29 and 4/30
I had the same thing, my permit disappeared last week early and expired status since Friday. No link to re-apply.

We shall see.
My permit disappeared after exam and on Friday, status changed to expired with no link to apply...

Don't you think that since >98% of MD's pass the USMLE step 3, that "The Trick" is merely a coincidence?

When do people check the website to see if the trick works? 2 days prior to score release?

If you want to crush Stats on all USMLE, watch youtube video: "biostatistics summary step 1 the basics usmle" and
"biostatistics summary step 1 - the extra stuff" 1-2 days prior to the USMLE. Anyone can crush the stats section

Sorry to hear, Fry. So, to clarify, FSMB status changed to EXPIRED with grey box but no link to reapply doesn't mean you pass? Since Fry and 2 other people on this thread did not pass but had no yellow button or reapply button.

Psychiatry PGY2 here.

First attempt Christmas week 2018.
Did UWorld 3 QBank, half-assed UWorld CCS & Biostats, went through MTBs. Halfway through Day 2 I knew I was failing. Sure did (187).

For your first attempt, did you get a yellow button to reapply before your score of 187 came out?

Also, what are the links you use to check? I took the exam on 5/14 + 5/16 and I'm pretty nervous :-/