USMLE STEP 3 Trick Works!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chamorro12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The "trick" still works. Here's how it played out for me:

-NBME (apps.nbme.org) permit link disappeared early Sunday AM
-FSMB (usmle.fsmb.org) changed from "active" to "expired" early Monday AM with no link to reapply

Score report was available Wednesday 12:00 am Eastern Time on NBME (https://apps.nbme.org).

Members don't see this ad.

• Dislike
Reactions: 5 users
No. My bad experience was with step 2 CK. I used the trick that everybody talked about and gave me a hint that I failed, but I passed when the results released. That is why I am saying do not trust the trick. Most people who comment “trick works” are passing the test. How about the people who failed??
I see. There might be a bias here. Hope we all pass:)

Reactions: 1 user
Day 2 of Step 3 for me: 12/30.

Still well within my eligibility window (expires in March).

On the Interactive Site (Interactive Website):
- Permit link disappeared this morning.
- Registration status now reads "Complete".

On the FSMB site (Loading...)
- Link to "Apply for a Score Recheck" is present, but when I click on it, I am given an error message.

Impression walking out of exam: that I had a strong chance of having failed.

Has anyone who has failed had their permit link disappear while still within eligibility period?! My sense based on reading this thread is that this is at the crux of whether "The Trick" works.

Any guidance would be appreciated to maintain my sanity until this Wednesday or next.

Last edited:
Took the test 12/28 and 12/29. Permit is gone and eligibility ends 1/31. However fsmb says my status is "in process" and that I can continue my application. When I try to continue it just loops back to main step 3 portal page. Has anyone this happen? Thanks!

91F5F7BB-1D99-4F15-A8F4-F812CF3874A0.jpeg

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Took the test 12/28 and 12/29. Permit is gone and eligibility ends 1/31. However fsmb says my status is "in process" and that I can continue my application. When I try to continue it just loops back to main step 3 portal page. Has anyone this happen? Thanks!

View attachment 293309
Never heard about that. Try restarting your browser and apply to step 3 again. Or try another browser

I took my exam 12/29 and 12/26 permit link disappeared a while ago but my FSMB still says approved and has had no changes at all compared to others In this group ??? any guidance thanks

Mine just expired at about 4:50 AM Eastern on Tuesday morning. For future data miners, Monday was a federal holiday. No link to reapply. I'm outside my 3 month eligibility window.

After the CCS cases I was sure I failed. Hope I'm not one of the exceptions to the rule.

Last edited:
Mine just expired, at about 4:50 AM Eastern on Tuesday morning. No link to reapply. I'm outside my 3 month window.

After the CCS cases I was sure I failed. Hope I'm not one of the exceptions to the rule.
My status expired as well. I don't see a link to reapply. But gray box says you may begin new step 3 application at your convenience. My eligibility ended on 12/31

status expired this morning. eligibility ends 1/31/2020. gray bar to apply for new application. permit link disappeared on candidate website.

status expired this morning. eligibility ends 1/31/2020. gray bar to apply for new application. permit link disappeared on candidate website.
Exactly the same here. Permit link disappeared on Monday; "status expired" on Tuesday morning. Hopefuly we'll get the results at midnight. Great opportunity to listen to "2 minutes to midnight" by Iron Maiden while waiting.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just read that the score trick doesn't work if you are still within your eligibility period, which I am, so now I'm panicking again.

I didn't prepare much at all and now I'm starting to regret it. Would be a costly (literally) mistake on my end if I have to retake it.

I just read that the score trick doesn't work if you are still within your eligibility period, which I am, so now I'm panicking again.

I didn't prepare much at all and now I'm starting to regret it. Would be a costly (literally) mistake on my end if I have to retake it.

There are mixed reports about this. It seems random honestly

I would think the opposite would be true. If you are not in eligibility and expired, then that's common sense. It is expired. If you are within eligibility and expired it seems odd, like maybe it expired because you took it or something else ... Like good. I. Hope

I would think the opposite would be true. If you are not in eligibility and expired, then that's common sense. It is expired. If you are within eligibility and expired it seems odd, like maybe it expired because you took it or something else ... Like good. I. Hope

One can only hope. And drink lots of vodka until midnight.

Mine just expired at about 4:50 AM Eastern on Tuesday morning. For future data miners, Monday was a federal holiday. No link to reapply. I'm outside my 3 month eligibility window.

Same here! Status changed today (Tuesday) since Monday was a Holiday. Good luck everyone! I also think I could have failed this one.. I even had a few nightmares ugh :/ Anxiety is so high right now.

what are you guys doing to kill time? my roommate is forcing me to watch trash reality tv to feel better about whatever happens

GOOD RIDDANCE YOU CURSED DEMONIC TORTUOUS BEAST!!!

PASSED ONCE AND FOR ALL!!!!!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Apparently the trick works for those still in the eligibility period.

I was out of my eligibility period.

Still not sure for whom it DOESN'T work.

Good luck to all future takers. I will not miss the palpitations, the somatic GI symptoms, the chills and other flu like symptoms associated with feelings of impending doom.

Time for my cardiac tissue to heal for a few days.

:)

Goodbye all.

Last edited:
lol wtf 240!!!!!! GOODBYE USMLE.... I will not miss the anxiety and years shaved off my life, but thank you for the generous curves. BYEEEE! Now I can finally focus on being a psychiatrist 100%! lol. CONGRATS EVERYONE!!!

I was out of my eligibility period.

Still not sure for whom it DOESN'T work.

Good luck to all future takers. I will not miss the palpitations, the somatic GI symptoms, the chills and other flu like symptoms associated with feelings of impending doom.

Time for my cardiac tissue to heal for a few days.

:)

Goodbye all.
I was talking about me. I was in the eligibility period

for those of you who got your scores back today, how were your UWSA/overall uworld percentage? im taking it in 2 weeks just want to gauge myself

Passed. 284. Was sure I failed. The score report is meaningless.
-----

I’d like to talk about the finances at the National Board of Medical Examiners.

This is gonna be a long one - but thanks for hearing me out.

But let’s begin somewhere else. Why does the NBME exist in the first place?

The NBME was founded in 1916 in large part to address an annoying problem for physicians. Since medical licensure is regulated at the state level, a physician had to take a separate board examination in each and every state in which he intended to practice.

Thanks to the NBME, all MDs can take the same test and then seek licensure wherever they want. (Compare that to attorneys, where taking a new state bar exam is a significant barrier to movement and may lead to workforce inefficiencies.)

In terms of accomplishing its primary mission, the NBME can say it’s done it for the past 100 years.

Now, let’s talk $.

The data shared here are all publicly available. As a 501(c)(3) organization, the NBME is reports its finances annually on an IRS Form 990.
Want to check my figures? The IRS forms are online at @ProPublica’s Nonprofit Explorer.

Since 2013, the IRS has released data culled from millions of nonprofit tax filings. Use this database to find organizations and see details like their executive compensation, revenue and expenses, a…

Nonprofit Explorer - ProPublica

Unlike many nonprofits, the NBME neither solicits nor accepts charitable donations.

They derive a small amount of income (~3%) from investments.

But the overwhelming majority of their $ comes from their programs (i.e., the USMLE, which accounts for ~75% of their revenue).

Next thing to know is that the “pipeline” of USMLE test takers has been pretty stable.

Since 2007, the number of first-time test takers (including both US/Canadian and foreign medical school graduates) has been around 40-42,000/year.

So, given that:

a) the number of USMLE test takers is stable;
b) the NBME is a nonprofit corporation whose primary reason for existence was accomplished long ago;

...what trend would you expect to see in NBME program revenue from 2001 to 2017?

Here is the @NBMEnow’s program service revenue, which has more than tripled, from $47.5 million in 2001 to $153.9 million in 2017.

For those of you wondering, this increase is NOT explained by inflation.

To put this in some perspective, consider this:

From the start of 2001 to the close of 2017, the Dow Jones Industrial Average increased from 10,646 to 24,719 - a factor of 2.3.

NBME program revenues increased by a factor of 3.24.

So what led to such a steep increase in revenue?

Two things: increased cost for the USMLE, and new revenue streams from new USMLE programs.

As far as the cost of USMLE over time: here’s where I need some help from #medtwitter. The data I can find are spotty, and I don’t have the cost for every year. If someone can help me, I will put together a chart.

As far as new revenue streams, the NBME has created several.

The increase in program revenue around 2004-2005 was from the introduction of a new test: the USMLE Step 2 Clinical Skills (CS) exam.

Step 2 CS is the most expensive product in the USMLE line - $1285 for U.S. students in 2018.

The cost to students is large - but because 96% of U.S. first-time test takers pass, the discriminatory value to licensing agencies is minimal.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23465102

Much, much more about the (lack of) value of Step 2 CS and STEP 3 has been discussed previously. If you missed it, I’ll leave it to the rest of the #meded community to fill you in.

In the background throughout the time period shown was the steadily-building crescendo of Step 1 mania. The NBME is not primarily responsible for that - but they have undoubtedly benefitted financially by selling new products.

For example, in 2007, they began offering Customized Assessment Services (CAS), a program that allows medical schools to create examinations using “cold” NBME test items.

By 2017, 83 US medical schools were using CAS, and the number of exams administered had doubled since 2013.

They also sold more “shelf exams” - the subject tests used at the end of clinical clerkships.

By the way, all of the medical students at my uni pay for the shelf exams and CAS - the costs are just less transparent since the dollar amounts are rolled into the tuition bill.

The NBME has also increased revenue from its Self Assessment Services. Here, students can purchase NBME question blocks at $60 apiece to help them prepare for the mandatory NBME tests later on.

And what does the NBME do with all of this revenue?

It’s time to discuss salaries.

Approximately one-third of the USMLE’s revenue funds executive and employee compensation.

Top executives at the NBME are handsomely compensated.

Immediate past president Donald Melnick received total compensation of $1,265,066 in 2015.

Dr. Melnick’s compensation rose along the rising financial tides at the NBME, increasing from $399,160 in 2001 to over $1.2 million in 2015, almost perfectly in parallel with the tripling of program revenue over the same time frame.

The NBME president’s salary is on par with what other CEOs make. But it is substantially higher than what almost any practicing physician makes in a year - especially early career MDs, from whom the bulk of those dollars were derived.

So why am I pointing all this out?

Accountability, for one thing. All nonprofit, tax-exempt organizations deserve some scrutiny to be sure that their dollars align with the organization’s mission and stakeholder values. That’s the whole reason the tax forms are public.

Second, the NBME operates in a strange space where normal economic forces don’t have as much gravity. Paying “customers” (i.e., students) have little choice about whether or not to buy their “product” (the USMLE), at whatever price the NBME chooses to sell it.

Lots of us criticize the for-profit test prep industry - and often, rightly so - but at least normal economic forces maintain order. If I want to make a new USMLE test prep book, I know I have to make the content better than First Aid or come in at a lower price point.

Because it has a monopoly with all state medical boards, the NBME is not easily constrained by market forces. If its leaders set an agenda for growth, it’s easy for that growth to be achieved.

Now, for those of you saying, “But the NBME is non-profit! How could they possibly be motivated by financial gain?”

Because it’s an organization made of people. Regular people. People who want to keep their jobs, or get promoted, or please their boss, or make a higher salary.

Nonprofit organizations don’t pay taxes or return profits to shareholders. But ultimately the organization is regular individuals who are motivated by the same things that we all are.

So back to where this all got started.

To have a frank and transparent discussion about a topic that matters to so many, I would have liked to see that #COI acknowledged by Dr. @Katsufrakis in his article.

/fin

Reactions: 1 users
for those of you who got your scores back today, how were your UWSA/overall uworld percentage? im taking it in 2 weeks just want to gauge myself

UWSA 245 1 week before the exam
UWorld % was 75% first pass - 93th percentile I think
Real deal --> 252

The first day felt very hard. Thought I messed up a lot. Day 2 was way much easier, the CCS cases were doable if you did well the CCS prep of Uworld.

Step 2 CK was in the 270s and I took it couple of months ago.

It seems that UWSA underpredicts a little bit, especially the form # 1. Study Uworld + practice the CCS software and you'll be fine.

Uworld first time percentage: 62%
UWSA 1: 204
UWSA 2: 204
Real Deal: 214

Prepped for 1 month prior to exam due to busy second year residency schedule. All i used was UWorld. I do suggest reading your first aid step 1 since Day 1 is basic sciences. Day 2 is more clinical. Do ccs cases uworld and youll be fine.

Uworld 1st pass ~73% correct.
UWSA 230 and 235
Step 3: 252

I also used CCScases.com. I did not like how Uworld made their CCS cases, i.e no scoring. I did read all Uworld cases the day before my exam.

Reactions: 1 users