USMLE STEP 3 Trick Works!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chamorro12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The "trick" still works. Here's how it played out for me:

-NBME (apps.nbme.org) permit link disappeared early Sunday AM
-FSMB (usmle.fsmb.org) changed from "active" to "expired" early Monday AM with no link to reapply

Score report was available Wednesday 12:00 am Eastern Time on NBME (https://apps.nbme.org).

Members don't see this ad.

• Dislike
Reactions: 5 users
My status is still ‘approved’ does it mean that I have to wait one more week?
I took on Dec 18th and 20th

Members don't see this ad :)
Members don't see this ad :)
Check if scheduling permit link is still present in the interactive website. If not then it is likely to get your scores tomorrow. If link is still present I am afraid it will take one more week...

Reactions: 1 user
ropelo2019

Looks like you already passed in September? Hopefully you didn't take the message saying 'You can apply for Step 3 at your convenience' too seriously.

Check if scheduling permit link is still present in the interactive website. If not then it is likely to get your scores tomorrow. If link is still present I am afraid it will take one more week...

There's still a link :( I was planning to mention my step 3 result at the interviews in upcoming week

Hello everyone! I took mine Dec 18th/23rd 2018. Anyone else in the same boat? Are we thinking next week? I'm still approved. Also, the results for sure come at midnight EST? Having just a few panic attacks.

Hello everyone! I took mine Dec 18th/23rd 2018. Anyone else in the same boat? Are we thinking next week? I'm still approved. Also, the results for sure come at midnight EST? Having just a few panic attacks.
I’m in the same boat, mine was Dec 17/21-2018. It seems our results will come out next week, insommnia is killing me...!!!

Reactions: 2 users

I’m on the same boat too!

Ahhhh...!! Still status approved, no link, hopefully changes before monday, even one day feels like years...!!!!

my permit on FSMB expired early this morning; (fell asleep around 1am, woke up around 4am so somewhere between there).

Took it on Dec.17th and 21st; the FSMB website says, in a gray box: "Your Step 3 application has expired. You may begin a new Step 3 application at your convenience." with no link to reapply.

So I guess it goes like this:
1. take the test.
2. depending on when your 2nd test day was, the permit link on the candidate website(Interactive Website) disappears(while the permit on FSMB homepage still remains "approved.")
3. most people on here say the "approved" status transitions to "expired" over Sunday-Monday, but mine did Friday-Saturday
4. rumor has it if it says "Your Step 3 application has expired. You may begin a new Step 3 application at your convenience." with no link to reapply after your status goes from "approved" to "expired" then you supposedly passed the test..
5. let's see what happens...

I took my exam on 13/19. Permit disappeared friday miday. FSMB transitioned from approved to expired moments ago with no link. Hopefully the trick works.

expired as well. i did the eligibility extension though so there is some different language in the grey box, but no link to reapply. from previous posts it looks like it just looks a little different if you did the extension.

Gave the exam 22 and 27 dec. Status says expired with no link to reapply. Can the link appear later? lol

Took test 19/20 permit link on nmbe disappeared today. Fsmb went from approved to expired also today. Grey box with no yellow link of death.
Hopefully this trick works!!! :-$

35DDC2A8-57A3-41CA-A8A9-A24ED6960C7E.jpeg
Took step 3 on Dec 20/21, no change to the nbme site. Did anyone else take it then? I really didn't feel good walking out of the exam.
I took it then felt like crap also...
This is what my fsmb site looks like. Yours?

If someone gets the ‘yellow box/link’ can you please screenshot it so that future people can know what to look for? It would be greatly appreciated.

Hi guys, late to the party. Just found this thread and I took Step 3 on 12/14 and 12/21.... permit is expired, no link to reapply. Really hoping that means I passed this thing because I NEVER want to have to sit or pay for USMLE again. Good luck, everyone!

Hi. Exam on 28/29, permit went away this morning. FSMB shows approved but no link or yellow box for reapply.

Reactions: 1 users