USMLE STEP 3 Trick Works!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chamorro12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The "trick" still works. Here's how it played out for me:

-NBME (apps.nbme.org) permit link disappeared early Sunday AM
-FSMB (usmle.fsmb.org) changed from "active" to "expired" early Monday AM with no link to reapply

Score report was available Wednesday 12:00 am Eastern Time on NBME (https://apps.nbme.org).

Members don't see this ad.

• Dislike
Reactions: 5 users
Hey guys so I’m in a similar situation I took my exam Feb 11 and 15. I guess we aren’t getting scores tomorrow? My permit link went away last Friday but it did expire. My status is still approved as of right now. I hope we don’t have to wait until the 27th.... that’s brutal .

Yeah, I'm not holding my breath for scores before the 27th. Sat for my exam on 1/28, permit disappeared on Friday, but FSMB status is still approved and only says will be expiring soon. what a wait.

So if I am understating this correctly, if next Monday the status changes from approved to expired we will get the scores Wednesday and that is supposed to indicate a pass?

Does the status go to expire if you are past your eligibility period ?

When I click the permit link it comes w a page saying that I already sat for my exam. Is the the same as “ permit link disappearing”

My permit link went away on the fswb page last Friday but my eligibility ended feb 28 so I figured it’s because of that. The main website I still have approved status so from what people are saying I think once it says expire it means the scores come out that week. If you have a reapply yellow link that you can click = fail but if not link then = pass. That’s what I’m getting from all the forums I’ve been reading.

Members don't see this ad :)
My permit link went away on the fswb page last Friday but my eligibility ended feb 28 so I figured it’s because of that. The main website I still have approved status so from what people are saying I think once it says expire it means the scores come out that week. If you have a reapply yellow link that you can click = fail but if not link then = pass. That’s what I’m getting from all the forums I’ve been reading.

Thanks
I’m trying to understand this as well.
So it can say expired if Your eligibility date has passed OR if you have passed the exam PRIOR to your eligibility date ending?

Regarding the permit link
Do you have a message saying you have already sat for the exam?

What if your eligibility has expired because the date has been surpassed, but you didn’t pass. What happens on the screen then? A expired stats with this “yellow link” to reapply?

So no my permit link just disappeared last week the day after my eligibility ran out. But still approved on the step 3 website which people are saying should say expired if the scores are out. Not sure whether the permit link means anything or not. Mainly been seeing people say the status needs to change to expire for you to know the score is out...
which makes sense cause no score today so should still be approved status.

As for a pass , I’ve read that if there is NO yellow link then you are good. This is all after the status goes to expire and you are expecting the Wednesday score report. Again just from what I’m reading. I’m retaking this exam so totally freaked out. I’m also in pathology so I basically had to relearn Med school cause we don’t treat patients. Sucks...

As for a pass , I’ve read that if there is NO yellow link then you are good. This is all after the status goes to expire and you are expecting the Wednesday score report. Again just from what I’m reading. I’m retaking this exam so totally freaked out. I’m also in pathology so I basically had to relearn Med school cause we don’t treat patients. Sucks...

I empathize w your frustration. I hope it all ends well and the nbme can be forever gone form your life.

So the status can be expired d/t passing and or expired bc the eligibility has expired and a as long as there is no yellow link
You are ok?

But if you are past your elgiblity won’t it say expired ? But that wouldn’t mean scores are coming out that week? Or do I have it all confused.

Took my exam in early Feb, this waiting is killing me. The longer it gets away from the test the worse I feel about it and I didn't start off feeling great to begin with.

Does this link to apply for new exam that’s apprently yellow, does it only show
Up the week that results are supposed to be released or can it show up at anytime?
And the status of “approved”
Or expired doesn’t have to correlate w it correct.

You can have a expired status w a link for a new exam application? (If your eglibility happened to have past)

All I’ve read is an expired status means score is coming out that week. My eligibility has passed but because my score isn’t out it still says approved.

Ok thanks for the clarification. So it stays as approved even if your eligibility period has passed. I’m sure this will help a few people out who are browsing this thread in anticipation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok thanks for the clarification. So it stays as approved even if your eligibility period has passed. I’m sure this will help a few people out who are browsing this thread in anticipation.
If you’re still confused, it’s explained several times throughout these posts.

Took my exam in early Feb, this waiting is killing me. The longer it gets away from the test the worse I feel about it and I didn't start off feeling great to begin with.
I understand exactly how u feel! The anticipation has been horrible! I also took my exam early February.

Hey guys so I’m in a similar situation I took my exam Feb 11 and 15. I guess we aren’t getting scores tomorrow? My permit link went away last Friday but it did expire. My status is still approved as of right now. I hope we don’t have to wait until the 27th.... that’s brutal .
I took my exam on the exact same days! I hope we get results before March 27th projected date. Day 1 was rough for me! I have not been able to sleep well since!

Can I ask what residency you Guys are in and if you found the exam difficult or not? I mean obviously it’s never easy but just curious

Can I ask what residency you Guys are in and if you found the exam difficult or not? I mean obviously it’s never easy but just curious
Psych residency. Did u say u were in Pathology? Yes it was difficult! Day 1 was more difficult than day 1 for me. It’s like taking a combination of all USMLE + a Biostats proficiency exam

surgical subspecialty 4th year -- don't advise waiting.

Day 1 hard
Day 2 hard, but easier time management
CCS no idea how I did. I feel like I got to the dx on all but 1, 4 or so didn't manage the greatest. 1 I totally screwed up. The rest did ok on.

Family Medicine (Switched from OBGYN). The test was hard (interleukins?? really?? --I'm still salty :stop:). There were definitely questions that I think I picked up quickly from my primary care experience that made a few questions easier (but not that many because.. you know.. interleukins). Don't think its necessary to be a primary care type resident to pass/do well but I do ALOT more admissions for COPD as a FM resident vs OB :laugh: ...Also yeah. I'm still waiting for a score meh...

Reactions: 1 user
Damn interleukins!:mad::nailbiting::yawn: I am salty too! I had leptospirosis from microbiology! :laugh:I was like wtf dude! What’s the deal with so much Biostats? When in the hell do we use Biostats on patients?:stop: These test makers got some serious issues! Every 3rd question on my exam was Biostats!:unsure:

Reactions: 1 user
Damn interleukins!:mad::nailbiting::yawn: I am salty too! I had leptospirosis from microbiology! :laugh:I was like wtf dude! What’s the deal with so much Biostats? When in the hell do we use Biostats on patients?:stop: These test makers got some serious issues! Every 3rd question on my exam was Biostats!:unsure:

I said the same thing but my friends warned me of the numerous biostats. I think every block I had at least 7 or so questions :dead:. Oh, this painful wait until the 27th.. just waitin':whistle:

if i took step 3 on feb 20 and 21. when can i expect the link to disappear as a sign and my results? It has been three wednesdays now. Thought I would have gotten my results this morning.

if i took step 3 on feb 20 and 21. when can i expect the link to disappear as a sign and my results? It has been three wednesdays now. Thought I would have gotten my results this morning.
The predicted result date is March 27th for individuals who took exams in Jan and Feb.

My scheduling permit is gone, my status on FSMB changed to expired with a gray box "Your Step 3 application has expired. You may begin a new Step 3 application at your convenience."
I took my test on 01/29 and 02/01.

So far, my permit has disappeared and on fsmb website my status changed from “approved” to “expired”. With gray box say “Your Step 3 application has expired. You may begin a new Step 3 application at your convenience.” I don’t see a new application link yet. Omg, I am so scared that it may change. Exam dates: 2/11 and 2/15.

Omg same here. Exam dates: 2/21 and 2/27. My eligibility expiration date is 04/30/2019. How soon after our test dates are we supposed to see this change? I feel like it happened a little too soon for me

So far, my permit has disappeared and on fsmb website my status changed from “approved” to “expired”. With gray box say “Your Step 3 application has expired. You may begin a new Step 3 application at your convenience.” I don’t see a new application link yet. Omg, I am so scared that it may change. Exam dates: 2/11 and 2/15.

Does it change afterwards ? :-/

Does it change afterwards ? :-/

No change has been documented in this thread since last year.

I have expired status but message in grey is this

Your Eligibility Extension has been approved. You may schedule your exam on any date prior to your new extended expiration date. No additional extensions will be granted for this Step 3 application.

I did take my test during my extension eligibility Period.

Does it mean anything ?

Yup got the expired status now. Then says the same thing in grey about how it’s expired and you can being a new app.

Omg same here. Exam dates: 2/21 and 2/27. My eligibility expiration date is 04/30/2019. How soon after our test dates are we supposed to see this change? I feel like it happened a little too soon for me

I took the exam a week before you, so I’m assuming this is your 3rd Wednesday coming up which is about right

I also took the exam on 2/11 and 2/15 and have the expired message. No yellow box! Fingers crossed that we get our scores this week.

Your Eligibility Extension has been approved. You may schedule your exam on any date prior to your new extended expiration date. No additional extensions will be granted for this Step 3 application.

Does it mean anything ?

I have that too, don’t worry. I also extended the test date eligibility.

:thumbup: Also got the 'Status Expired. You may begin a new application at your convenience." So let's see!

Does it mean anything ?

I have the same message and I also took my test during the extended eligibility period. This is with the expired status. I think for those of us who took an extended eligibility period, this message is slightly different (I read back through this thread and there were some posters with this identical message as well) but if it says expired and no yellow link, we are good to go :).

Has anyone ever posted a screen shot of this yellow box? There is no yellow to be found anywhere thankfully, but just curious what this looks like and what to be neurotically looking out for between now and Wednesday

You know, that's a good question. I don't think anyone ever has, but descriptions have been given of it. Apparently its a yellow box with a link that allows to start completing another application.

Today morning i checked the fsmb website and it said expired with no link to reapply then 2 hours later i had a link to reapply all over again what does that mean someone please help my results are coming out this wednesday
This is the first time I’ve heard of the status changing!

Really? It seems to be in all the posts about changing to expired on the week the scores release. Hopefully stays true! I’d love to not have To wait another week

Really? It seems to be in all the posts about changing to expired on the week the scores release. Hopefully stays true! I’d love to not have To wait another week
Yeah, the person I quoted only posted a few times and no one else posted such! I think I am thinking of worse case scenario! Let me stop before there is mass hysteria . Lol....