steps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rachna7_1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Iam just starting college, and would like to know what are the steps to get into ophthalmology programs, What classes should I be taking towards ophthalmology, what are the pre-reqs and what do I do after the pre-reqs, please if someone can help me out that would be great, thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Rachna7_1....

I'm assuming you truly mean ophthalmology, not optometry. I'm not sure of the optometry pre-reqs. However, for a college student interested in ophthalmology, you only need to concern yourself with completing medical school pre-reqs and kicking arse on the MCAT. The courses you take in college don't really help or make any difference whatsoever into getting into ophthalmology residency. Worry about that once in medical school. Dismiss osteopathic (DO) medical schools if you are certain you want to pursue ophthalmology and apply only to allopathic (MD) schools.

If it's optometry you are interested in, you probably have to complete different pre-reqs and the optom folks can answer that question.

The first step is to have as much fun as possible in undergrad without screwing up your transcripts. There will be lots of hard work to come. True about osteopathy. There are osteopathic ophthalmology programs out there, but they are much more competetive than allopathic programs. When you apply to medical schools, shoot for one with a strong ophtho department. If you have a good state school that costs less, go for that instead.