Sticking to your attending like glue....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Red Beard

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
...and accidently following them into the bathroom. Anyone else do this more than once? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

It's people like that making me dread being a resident or an attending at a teaching hospital. Students who are eager to learn and happy to help would be fine. Unfortunately many students feel that showing their commitment means shadowing their superior's every step around the room, looking over their shoulder as they read, and just being generally overbearing. I see this in over 50% of medical students, but I wonder if any of the residents and attendings actually appreciate it...I know I won't.

It's people like that making me dread being a resident or an attending at a teaching hospital. Students who are eager to learn and happy to help would be fine. Unfortunately many students feel that showing their commitment means shadowing their superior's every step around the room, looking over their shoulder as they read, and just being generally overbearing. I see this in over 50% of medical students, but I wonder if any of the residents and attendings actually appreciate it...I know I won't.

Not what's going on in my case and not the point either.

This thread is for fun, don't be a buzzkill.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry RB. Not my intent, just airing how much that annoys me. I'd buy you a beer to make up for it if I could. As it stands, I'll just drink an extra one for ya. Cheers.:laugh:

While I understand how this could be annoying, I think its also understandable. I've had more than one attending or resident just take off and not tell me that they are about to go see a patient.
How are we supposed to know if the physician is headed to the bathroom verses headed to a patients room?

Right on lilnoelle.
I also find it quite annoying to follow residents and attendings around like a little lap dog but I've been ditched (maybe I smell? ;)) so many times that I've learned my lesson. And of course, the one time the resident/attending slips away is when something exciting happens and afterwards they are all asking me where I was. Murphy's law. But now I say, forget Murphy. I'll follow the resident/attending all the way to the can if I have to.

...and accidently following them into the bathroom. Anyone else do this more than once? :laugh:

I've only done it once.

It wasn't really because I was trying to be a lapdog, but I was really tired and kind of mindlessly just following the attending around wherever he went - from the SICU to the floor, to the OR, back to the SICU. I woke up, though, when he turned to me and said, "I'm a big boy, I can do this myself!" as he was heading into the men's bathroom.

Oops. :laugh:

While I understand how this could be annoying, I think its also understandable. I've had more than one attending or resident just take off and not tell me that they are about to go see a patient.
How are we supposed to know if the physician is headed to the bathroom verses headed to a patients room?

So true. Luckily I've actually followed someone in to the bathroom.