Still in my undergrad/Feeling defeated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stelios_kantos

Reaction score
Date of submission: N/A

Overall GPA: 3.8
Science GPA: Can't locate it
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: of submission: N/A
DAT score (include AA and all sections): N/A
State of Residence:
Alaska

Undergrad Attended: ) American Military University
Major: Biology (plan to change it once I meet DS pre-recs)
Minor:
none
Minority? Yes
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? no

Shadowing Experience: about two months in total before the military(10yrs ago)
Volunteering Experience: 100+ Armed Airmen Against Drunk Driving, other small military events, 4 summers at Dallas public library
Employment: Part time DA in Dallas. Part time being 3 weeks one year and two months the following year. It was whitening teeth at the state fair. The second year we were shut down and had to move business back to the clinic. I was part time until I left for the military.
Research: n/a
Other Extracurriculars: Rock climbing, swimming, reading, gym, snowboarding
Relevant Honors or Awards: Volunteer award (Given after exceeding a certain amount of hours) A variety of other military awards
LOR type and strength: none
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: I have been in the Army for 10 years. I am a parachute rigger. Literally nothing to do with dentistry at all.
School list:

UT Heath Houston

I am still taking classes as an undergraduate. I currently have 51 credits. Twenty of those being electives. I have an additional 40 credits but under my biology degree, they aren’t accepted. Once I fulfill my required pre-recs, I plan to switch major to receive them. Here’s the thing, I am terrified. Im a good student but Im terrible at math and science. And that’s all that pre-recs are. I am in the military, so I take online classes and the lab kits get mailed to me and I conduct experiments that way. Being an online student, I’m teaching myself honestly. I wanted to know more about dental requirements, and I look up the DAT and got major anxiety. Seeing all the subjects that Im not confident in and hour long the test was, made me rethink my whole life. Chem, Biochem, Cal, STATS, phys, why? If that wasn’t scary enough, these also have their own pre-recs. So it turns out, the 7 courses required for DS aren’t the only upper level classes I have to take. Just when I thought I was making headway, I run into another obstacle. My question is, is it normal for me to freak out like this? Whenever I talk to a dentist, they make it seem like dental school was a breeze. Is that the case? Why do I need to take these courses? Am I going to come across them again in DS? Does this mean I cant take the test and brain dump everything I just learned? Im 31. I’ve wanted to be a dentist since I was 12. But most of my life I’ve always been afraid of the unknown. What if I get to DS and fail out? Should I just stay in the army and finish out my 10 years knowing that I’ll have a guaranteed retirement? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

My question is, is it normal for me to freak out like this? Whenever I talk to a dentist, they make it seem like dental school was a breeze. Is that the case? Why do I need to take these courses? Am I going to come across them again in DS? Does this mean I cant take the test and brain dump everything I just learned?

Dental school will be easier to some, but the majority of students find dental school to be very challenging. Imo, your experience will depend on the study habits, time management skills, and discipline you developed in undergrad. Many of us aren't used to 10-12 hours a day in class/lab/studying, and ive noticed the lazier/less disciplined students definitely struggle more.

You should expect to see the same bio concepts again in more depth. People are always surprised at how much medicine there is in dental school. I have yet to use my cube counting skills, but i'm only a D1 so who knows.

Seeing all the subjects that Im not confident in and hour long the test was, made me rethink my whole life. Chem, Biochem, Cal, STATS, phys, why

I don't recall studying biochem/stats/physics for the DAT. sounds more like the MCAT?

just try to relaaaxx. I panic alot too, and it's done nothing except recede my hairline. Should look into getting that checked before school.

Reactions: 1 user
Date of submission: N/A

Overall GPA: 3.8
Science GPA: Can't locate it
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: of submission: N/A
DAT score (include AA and all sections): N/A
State of Residence:
Alaska

Undergrad Attended: ) American Military University
Major: Biology (plan to change it once I meet DS pre-recs)
Minor:
none
Minority? Yes
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? no

Shadowing Experience: about two months in total before the military(10yrs ago)
Volunteering Experience: 100+ Armed Airmen Against Drunk Driving, other small military events, 4 summers at Dallas public library
Employment: Part time DA in Dallas. Part time being 3 weeks one year and two months the following year. It was whitening teeth at the state fair. The second year we were shut down and had to move business back to the clinic. I was part time until I left for the military.
Research: n/a
Other Extracurriculars: Rock climbing, swimming, reading, gym, snowboarding
Relevant Honors or Awards: Volunteer award (Given after exceeding a certain amount of hours) A variety of other military awards
LOR type and strength: none
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: I have been in the Army for 10 years. I am a parachute rigger. Literally nothing to do with dentistry at all.
School list:

UT Heath Houston

I am still taking classes as an undergraduate. I currently have 51 credits. Twenty of those being electives. I have an additional 40 credits but under my biology degree, they aren’t accepted. Once I fulfill my required pre-recs, I plan to switch major to receive them. Here’s the thing, I am terrified. Im a good student but Im terrible at math and science. And that’s all that pre-recs are. I am in the military, so I take online classes and the lab kits get mailed to me and I conduct experiments that way. Being an online student, I’m teaching myself honestly. I wanted to know more about dental requirements, and I look up the DAT and got major anxiety. Seeing all the subjects that Im not confident in and hour long the test was, made me rethink my whole life. Chem, Biochem, Cal, STATS, phys, why? If that wasn’t scary enough, these also have their own pre-recs. So it turns out, the 7 courses required for DS aren’t the only upper level classes I have to take. Just when I thought I was making headway, I run into another obstacle. My question is, is it normal for me to freak out like this? Whenever I talk to a dentist, they make it seem like dental school was a breeze. Is that the case? Why do I need to take these courses? Am I going to come across them again in DS? Does this mean I cant take the test and brain dump everything I just learned? Im 31. I’ve wanted to be a dentist since I was 12. But most of my life I’ve always been afraid of the unknown. What if I get to DS and fail out? Should I just stay in the army and finish out my 10 years knowing that I’ll have a guaranteed retirement? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
What makes you want to go into dentistry?

You have to find your why.

Yes there will be a lot of hardship and definitely lots of studying. I do not know of any dentists that breezed through dental school. Most found it to be some of the most difficult years of their life

I don’t understand why you’re planning to switch your major

Members don't see this ad :)
What makes you want to go into dentistry?

You have to find your why.

Yes there will be a lot of hardship and definitely lots of studying. I do not know of any dentists that breezed through dental school. Most found it to be some of the most difficult years of their life

I don’t understand why you’re planning to switch your major
I've been in school for 9 years. I just never took it as seriously as I should have. My excuse was, I was young and have plenty of time. I took one class at a time and took like 6 months off in between. Now that I realize time is short, I want to switch major and receive those extra credits that I earned. In doing this, I'd be able to graduate sooner rather than later.

When I was 12, I chipped my front tooth. When I got it fixed, the dentist was wearing reflective glasses, so I was able to see everything that was happening. I thought it was so cool. Years later when I turned 19, I remembered this and went to trade school to become a DA. It just made me want to be a dentist so much more.

Reactions: 1 users
I've been in school for 9 years. I just never took it as seriously as I should have. My excuse was, I was young and have plenty of time. I took one class at a time and took like 6 months off in between. Now that I realize time is short, I want to switch major and receive those extra credits that I earned. In doing this, I'd be able to graduate sooner rather than later.

When I was 12, I chipped my front tooth. When I got it fixed, the dentist was wearing reflective glasses, so I was able to see everything that was happening. I thought it was so cool. Years later when I turned 19, I remembered this and went to trade school to become a DA. It just made me want to be a dentist so much more.
As long as you have a solid why, it will make it much easier for you to navigate moving forward.

buckle down and get to work!

Reactions: 1 user