still male dominant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ms.dmd

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
do you guys think dentistry is still a male dominated industry? just wondering what people thought...

Members don't see this ad.

ms.dmd said:
do you guys think dentistry is still a male dominated industry? just wondering what people thought...

Well, it's not a female-dominated industry, that's for sure.

However, as a future female dentist, I have no complaints. Dentistry is a very woman-friendly profession; great hours, great pay, and as far as I am concerned, I don't care if male dentists are dominating. Most importantly, I don't feel that patients are suspicious of our competency because we are female--this was a general fear of mine when I decided to join dentistry but so far, it is unfounded.

ms.dmd said:

Your gender certainly will not hurt you in gaining admission to d-school, so do what you want to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
martinelli said:
Well, it's not a female-dominated industry, that's for sure.

However, as a future female dentist, I have no complaints. Dentistry is a very woman-friendly profession; great hours, great pay, and as far as I am concerned, I don't care if male dentists are dominating. Most importantly, I don't feel that patients are suspicious of our competency because we are female--this was a general fear of mine when I decided to join dentistry but so far, it is unfounded.

that's good to know. i actually just got out of a male dominated industry and had to constantly prove that i was just as intelligent as the bozo next to me. needless to say, it was annoying. anyway, just something that came to mind today... thanks for the input!

i think the females are taking over man

i dont think it's male-dominated, at least not nowadays. this year's entering class at stony brook has more girls than guys. but that's just stony. maybe you'll find the opposite in other schools.

what makes a better dentist than a out of shape hairry man?

Please don't turn this into a feminist thread... thank you very much

Thus far it has been a male dominated industry, however if current trends are any indicator of the future..then in the next few decades there will be even more of an equalization. From the stats I saw in ADEA's book, most schools have approx ~60:40 m:f ratio. I agree w/ martinelli, it is a very woman-friendly profession, and we're taken just as seriously as a dentist, so who cares if old white men have dominated the field thus far :)

Mysteree said:
Thus far it has been a male dominated industry, however if current trends are any indicator of the future..then in the next few decades there will be even more of an equalization. From the stats I saw in ADEA's book, most schools have approx ~60:40 m:f ratio. I agree w/ martinelli, it is a very woman-friendly profession, and we're taken just as seriously as a dentist, so who cares if old white men have dominated the field thus far :)

exactly, and as a man i will admit that women seem to be making the health professions even better. the presence of more women nowadays creates a nurturing and colorfull environment. i also think that women are reducing the conservativeness of the profession.

fightingspirit said:
exactly, and as a man i will admit that women seem to be making the health professions even better. the presence of more women nowadays creates a nurturing and colorfull environment. i also think that women are reducing the conservativeness of the profession.

Very true. And also finallly dentists realized that having women dentists is not a "threat" to them since many women will have to switch to part time work when they have kids and such. For this, schools and fellow dentists are very very welcoming to women candidates.

fightingspirit said:
i also think that women are reducing the conservativeness of the profession.

what do you mean by that?

fightingspirit said:
i also think that women are reducing the conservativeness of the profession.

Thank GOD, i hope you're right about that. now if only dental school would be less conservative

Members don't see this ad :)
coolraz said:
Very true. And also finallly dentists realized that having women dentists is not a "threat" to them since many women will have to switch to part time work when they have kids and such. For this, schools and fellow dentists are very very welcoming to women candidates.

Exactly. More women in the profession actually means less competition among male dentists! :thumbup:

mlle said:

Well, if you are semi-familiar with the history of our profession, or have ever volunteered for a dentist who is older than 55, chances are (of course, not always), he is a white male. And most affluent white male are generally (of course, not always) are pretty conservative in regards to politics, moral, and social values. Why? I dunno....actually, I have some ideas but to go into them would require me writing a 20 page essay and nobody on this website would care much for that.

But anyway, yes, having women in the profession will add much needed "color" and "diversity". If I were a guy, I would much prefer having girls around than hanging out with a bunch of men ALL DAY for four year. No catfights, no back-stabbing, no crying, no whining, and no short skirts...come on, that would be pretty boring if you ask me. ;)

mlle said:

Here is what I meant. Before I explain, please remember that I used the term “I think” and I did not state that as a fact. Anyways, historically, and even nowadays to a lesser extent, women have been discriminated against (disenfranchised in the past and paid less for equal job in the present). This gives women the ability to understand how it feels to be different or to be discriminated against. Therefore, women tend to be more accepting of non-mainstream non-traditional people who are socially handicapped for one reason or another. Off course, that is not to say that there aren’t compassionate and open-minded men in dentistry or that there aren’t close-minded angry women. It’s not like the health professions require conservative men. It’s just that once you reach a certain income bracket in the upper steps of the SE-ladder, the crowd tends to be more conservative. i think this happens because changing the status quo socially, politically and morally would create more competition and perhaps adverse economic effects on the traditional white male (more women, more colored, more gays, more atheists translate to less conservative christian white heterosexual males)...just guessing here
Still, it is reasonable to assume that a class of 35 men and 5 women is less accepting and more conservative than a class of 20 men and 20 women. If you’re gay or an immigrant or a str8 man who does not appreciate any sport that involves a ball going back and forth between 2 teams, or have a certain physical deformity, where would you feel more comfortable? In a d-school that is mostly men or in one that is about 50/50? The funny thing is that even among themselves, women tend to be more accepting. Take undergrads for example. Sororities tend to be racially/ethnically blind and you see how girls of different ethnicities mix and befriend each other closely. But look at the fraternities; they tend to be racially/ethnically segregated. I am sure there are exceptions though. Anyways, you get the picture….

I kinda like the fact that my class will have slightly more women than men…

Just FYI- A couple professors I've spoken with have said that it is becoming increasingly difficult to get into school as a woman. White men are quickly becoming the minority in dentistry, as current trends are seeing many more women and Asians. Not saying anything good or bad about it, but it appears to be the case.

fightingspirit said:

Thanks fightingspirit :cool:

Dukie said:
Just FYI- A couple professors I've spoken with have said that it is becoming increasingly difficult to get into school as a woman. White men are quickly becoming the minority in dentistry, as current trends are seeing many more women and Asians. Not saying anything good or bad about it, but it appears to be the case.

It's difficult to get into a school as a woman? As opposed to when? the last few years? What are these professors talking about? I didn't know that there is a decrease in women enrolling in dentistry; I thought the trend is generally going upward. It might plateau out in the future but decreasing? It's a very strange remark and I wonder what are their reasonings behind it.

Also, white male becoming a minority in dental schools? As far as I know most males in dental schools are white, especially the ones in the middle of the USA; there are a few schools that have a lot of Asians but the percentage of males in dental school who are white is still significant. Possible exceptions are ones that accept a lot of international students like Tufts, Bu, and NYU but I am unsure of their gender, ethnicity ratio.

I'm inclined to agree w/ most of what you said FIGHTINGSPIRIT. However, I disagree that women in general are more accepting...they might be more accepting of diversity in general. But they are tougher on a new comer, than men are. It's much more difficult for a person to enter a pre-existing female group, than it is to be welcomed into a male group. Before anyone gets upset, let me just say this is only "my opinion" :)

Mysteree said:
I'm inclined to agree w/ most of what you said FIGHTINGSPIRIT. However, I disagree that women in general are more accepting...they might be more accepting of diversity in general. But they are tougher on a new comer, than men are. It's much more difficult for a person to enter a pre-existing female group, than it is to be welcomed into a male group. Before anyone gets upset, let me just say this is only "my opinion" :)

i agree. boy, did i have a hard time trying to join a girl's locker room...

polarnut said:

yow polarnut, everytime i read your posts, i could swear you 've got a gender identity crisis... :laugh:

fightingspirit said:
yow polarnut, everytime i read your posts, i could swear you 've got a gender identity crisis... :laugh:

:confused: i think you're thinking too hard

polarnut said:

You'll get eye poked out one of these days :laugh: