Still unsure how to list shadowing experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ServiceFirst

MS1
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've looked all over and it looks like there are lots of different and good ways to list shadowing experiences. I have listed the specialty and procedures/scope I shadowed that physician in, but I won't have additional room to list each physician's name and contact number.

Is it OK that I list the physician that I shadowed the most as the primary contact and not list the names/numbers of the other physicians?

Members don't see this ad.

No one is going to contact these docs.

List one primary contact. For the rest you can do something like:
Dr. George Jones, pulmonologist, 12 hours, 12/2015; Dr. Frank Smith, Pediatric Neurologist, 8 hours, 3/2016; Dr. Jack Sprat, Cardiologist, 24 hours, 4/2016....

hmm but I have also read that it is not enough to just put their titles & names, and that we should elaborate on what we gained from it. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
@LizzyM @gonnif

When listing shadowing experiences, it is appropriate to just stick to the hard details (hours, location, speciality, etc)? Or do I have to include a couple sentences of the impact/meaningfulness of the activity?

@Catalystik may have an opinion on this.

If you have something substantial to say, then yes but the vast majority of shadowing experiencing are just the facts. you could do something like Style A but I lean to Style B

Style A:
John Smith, MD, General Surgeon. Shadowed for two days including pre-op/post-op patients visits as well as observed appendectomy, colon repair and other procedures
George Jones, Internal Medicine. Followed in walk-in clinic for a day with numerous patient interaction

Style B
John Smith, MD, General Surgeon, Holy Moses Memorial Hospital, Harbor Hills, CA, 10 hours
George Jones, MD, Internal Medicine, Harbor Hills Hospital Walk-in Clinic. 8 hours
If one has the space, the two styles illustrated could be merged. If one lists ten docs, however, that isn't going to work, and then style B is a better model.