Program-Specific Info / Q's Stony Brook interview 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTwah

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got an invitation to interview at stony brook in December! Anyone else hear from them today? Also if any current students want to shed some more light on this program and their interview process, I'd love to hear all about it :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
That's awesome; congrats!! I have not submitted my SB app yet. I am waiting for my last evaluator to fill out the evaluation and for two sites to send me a letter verifying my hours. Then, I can submit! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
It's definitely hard to tell how it went before I hear anything from them! haha but personally I felt like it was the interview with the trickiest questions yet (comparative to the ones I got at Belmont & Rush University) but I might have just gotten an unlucky selection of questions since they said all of the interviewers pick from the same pool of possible things to ask. It was a 3-on-1 interview and the three interviewers just took turns asking a couple questions. Everyone was really nice and we got to meet students from both campuses. There wasn't a power point or presentation or tour, but the folder they provided had all the information you could possible need and apparently all of their classes are basically within two classrooms in the hospital (Ffr the stony brook campus, at least. No idea how classrooms work at the South Hampton campus!) Let me know if you have any other questions!

It's definitely hard to tell how it went before I hear anything from them! haha but personally I felt like it was the interview with the trickiest questions yet (comparative to the ones I got at Belmont & Rush University) but I might have just gotten an unlucky selection of questions since they said all of the interviewers pick from the same pool of possible things to ask. It was a 3-on-1 interview and the three interviewers just took turns asking a couple questions. Everyone was really nice and we got to meet students from both campuses. There wasn't a power point or presentation or tour, but the folder they provided had all the information you could possible need and apparently all of their classes are basically within two classrooms in the hospital (Ffr the stony brook campus, at least. No idea how classrooms work at the South Hampton campus!) Let me know if you have any other questions!

When did you submit your application?

@OTwah: Thanks for the info. I plan on making flashcards with potential interview questions and practicing with my husband before any interviews. I haven't interviewed for anything in so long; I definitely need practice!

I submitted my supplemental application a week ago, so I guess it'll be a while before I hear anything. How long after submitting the supplemental app did they contact you?

@slpOT I submitted my OTCAS application on 09/10 and I was verified on 09/29!

@kgprospot Definitely a good idea! I did the same thing which definitely helped my first few interviews but I didn't review nearly as much for Stony Brook as I should have! I submitted my supplemental application on 09/25, got an email confirmation that they received it on 09/28, and then was invited for an interview on 11/19 - so it definitely took awhile to hear anything about an interview!

Did you guys find the formatting of their supplemental application to be horrible? I opened it in Word, as they said we should do, but it was so poorly formatted, it was tough to work with. Did you guys experience that too?

Did you guys find the formatting of their supplemental application to be horrible? I opened it in Word, as they said we should do, but it was so poorly formatted, it was tough to work with. Did you guys experience that too?

It was AWFUL! My Mac has also been having issues with not letting me copy/past for some reason (?) so writing those essays and then transferring them to that mess of a Word doc was a disaster. Still submitted it, though :)

I also could not copy and paste my responses into their document. I had to merge the two docs (my responses with their application) to get that part done. It was very frustrating. And, I don't think it was me/my computer. I opened the document in Google docs, libreoffice, and word on both mac and pc. No matter how I accessed it, it was super messed up. Glad it's done now!

Guys! I got invited to interview at Stony Brook in 3.5 weeks!!

So did I! Unfortunately, I will still be traveling in the UK on the 23, so I have to defer my interview to March.
My problem is that I don't have the 2nd OT LOR, nor do I have much means of getting one (I probably could by March). However, I already have the maximum 5 LOR uploaded to OTCAS - 1 volunteer director, 1 summer camp director/boss, 1 OT, 1 professor, and 1 from my current boss of my care provider job. I don't know what to do, since I already reached my max # of recommendations..... I'm sure there are plenty of people who meet the 2 OT letter requirements which would disqualify me, so I'm trying to figure out a way to accommodate the requirement??

Yeah, I already have 2 recommendations from OTs. I had them done before submitting; I didn't think they would interview without that done.

Members don't see this ad :)
@slpOT I am in the exact same boat as you - after the interview I sat down with one of the professors and she told me what was missing from my application, which included 1 prerequisite I am finishing up and another letter of recommendation. It sounded like she would be okay with the LOR just being emailed to her! I was accepted to the Stony Brook program (via a phone call last week!) even without both of those finished up though - very exciting!

When did you receive the supplemental app? I applied 5 days ago and never received anything.

I got it the day I submitted my OTCAS application or the day after. I dont fully recall, but it was really fast. Is your OTCAS verified? Maybe try contacting the school in case there's an issue?

Guys! I got into Stony Brook!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Guys! I got into Stony Brook!!!
How was the interview? I wish I could have made it this weekend, but traveling with the snow may have prevented me from even being able to come regardless! I'm still waiting to hear back about the March interview date, since I'm guessing there's the possibility of fulfilling the cohort before that interview

I also got into Stony Brook! Does anybody know how much financial aid they give? Any current students who can shed some light on how they like the mod system instead of the semester system?

@slpOT It wasn't bad because they were so nice! Do your homework before going though. I felt really prepared because I had practiced responses and gotten feedback and had done reading on OT and Stony Brook's program. Wear something that makes you feel confident. I chose a black skirt suit. I felt good and prepared, and I think it showed. Good luck!

@futureOT94 Congrats! Which campus? I got into Southampton. I am so excited! No idea about financial aid. I have to do my FAFSA. I'm not sure there's financial aid for grad programs though. I plan to apply to scholarships and work p/t to help with costs.

Does anyone mind sharing their gpa?! SBU Southampton is my first choice!!

My overall is a 3.30. My exact prereq gpa depends on the program, but last I checked it was in the range of 3.75-3.80.

Have you heard from them yet with the supplemental application?

@kgprospot Thanks, congrats to you as well! I'm not sure actually, I got a call to let me know I was accepted into the program and that I should be receiving an official email within the next couple of days. I put down that I preferred Southampton if I were to get in, so we will see.

You probably got southampton then. I had said I was open to attending either campus but that I prefer stony brook, but was placed at Southampton because of the demand for Stony Brook's main campus. Are you going to accept Stony Brook's offer, or do you have other offers on the table? I am so excited; this is like a dream come true!!

You probably got southampton then. I had said I was open to attending either campus but that I prefer stony brook, but was placed at Southampton because of the demand for Stony Brook's main campus. Are you going to accept Stony Brook's offer, or do you have other offers on the table? I am so excited; this is like a dream come true!!

Congrats

Last edited:
@kgprospot @OpOT231231 I am still awaiting other decisions from other interviews I've done so it's hard, I don't know what to do! I'm going to give it a couple more days to decide.

Stony brook was my first offer, and I accepted because I live and work in the area. It's the best program for me. Good luck with the decision making and keep us posted!

I'm so nervous. I applied to Stony and interviewed last Thursday. I haven't received a call yet. My stats are Overall 3.5 and pre-req 3.65 and I'm a stony student, so I'm hoping I get in, but this is making me nervous

I was invited to interview last month but opted to defer it to March... But I JUST got an email back replying to my supplemental app (which I submitted 12/21) saying they're adding it to my application. ???

I was invited to interview last month but opted to defer it to March... But I JUST got an email back replying to my supplemental app (which I submitted 12/21) saying they're adding it to my application. ???
I got this email today as well. I'm very confused and concerned that this means I've just been sitting in a pile. When I went to my interview, they told me they had everything so I'm considering calling and asking what is going on.

I didn't get that email, but they had confirmed receipt of my supplemental application a while ago.

Who's definitely attending SBU's program?

I got this email today as well. I'm very confused and concerned that this means I've just been sitting in a pile. When I went to my interview, they told me they had everything so I'm considering calling and asking what is going on.

I got an email as well and was told it was a system error.

Has anyone had an interview and not heard back yet? I had mine Jan 23rd and have yet to hear back

I was there that day and haven't either.
I got an email as well and was told it was a system error.

Has anyone had an interview and not heard back yet? I had mine Jan 23rd and have yet to hear back

You both had it on January 23rd? (Saturday)??

Mine was on January 22nd ... I thought they only had interviews for one day in January.

One of my friends currently in the program says it takes time for acceptances. When she interviewed, her friend got in the same week and it took them almost 2.5 weeks to get back to her.

Good luck !

You both had it on January 23rd? (Saturday)??

Mine was on January 22nd ... I thought they only had interviews for one day in January.

One of my friends currently in the program says it takes time for acceptances. When she interviewed, her friend got in the same week and it took them almost 2.5 weeks to get back to her.

Good luck !

Wow I meant the 22nd hahah, oops! I was at the morning session.
I don't like anxiously waiting to know about their decision, especially since SBU is my first choice!
How do you feel the interview went?

Wow I meant the 22nd hahah, oops! I was at the morning session.
I don't like anxiously waiting to know about their decision, especially since SBU is my first choice!
How do you feel the interview went?

I was at the afternoon session.

I think the interview went really well!

I personally really enjoyed the 3 people I interviewed with and hearing from all the students helped me calmed my nerves. I was nervous at first that the students had some say in the interview process so I tried to speak as much as I could, but in the end I sat there and just tried to compose myself and prepare for the interview.

The process from what I understand, is that the interviewers write their comments and that along with your application gets forwarded to the admission committee.

They're doing interviews in February and in March I believe, so you may not hear until those are over in the worst case scenario.

has anyone received information about their account or paying a deposit yet?

@OpOT231231 I haven't received any payment info. It's probably too early in the game.

Which campus were you placed at?

Does anyone who has accepted the offer know if we will be receiving any info regarding what is required and to prepare us to start the program yet? I don't live in the area so I want to be as prepared as I can. I also was wondering, I know at the interview, that they said putting down Southhampton or Stony Brook campus wasn't a commitment, but my accept letter said Southhampton. Is this non-negotiable?

Yea I meant the Friday one too. My RA is actually in the program and said that some of her friends in the program didn't hear back until after the February interview or well into April, but for now I have a backup plan for the in between time of reapplying so I'm happy. Congrats to everyone who has been accepted!

@futureOT94

Nice to e-meet you future classmate!

I emailed Dr. Rodriguez about the summer schedule and have not heard back. I think she is without an assistant right now, so between that and the fact that they are still interviewing, I have a feeling it may be a little while til we receive more info.

Im not sure if you can ask to be at the other campus.

@futureOT94

Nice to e-meet you future classmate!

I emailed Dr. Rodriguez about the summer schedule and have not heard back. I think she is without an assistant right now, so between that and the fact that they are still interviewing, I have a feeling it may be a little while til we receive more info.

Im not sure if you can ask to be at the other campus.

I don't think so either, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

If you do have a chance, it should be sooner than later (before they give out more acceptances)

If anyone finds out information about paying the deposit or the housing situation, please pm me !

(Should someone start a facebook group for our incoming class?)

I'll let you guys know if I hear anything. Btw, I live in the area, so if anyone has questions about living on LI, feel free to pm me!

@kgprospot @OpOT231231 nice to meet you guys! I'm excited to start... definitely let us know if anyone hears about a deposit or anything else! The program is June-June correct? Are there any breaks for the holidays, etc? I seemed to have missed that piece at the interview. I'm new to this whole module thing so I'm not sure if there are any actual breaks from classes. Definitely tell me about LI! I know nothing! Lol

I am SO excited too! Yes, the program runs June-June for 3 years. I assumed we get regular school breaks, but now that you mention it, I am not really sure what we get.

LI is best in the summer. There are beaches, farmstands, vineyards, etc. Winter can be bad if we get a lot of snow. This year was not bad at all, only two snowstorms, one happened during the weekend, and it wasnt too cold.

Since you're not from here, you may be shocked by the cost of living; it is high. Will you live on campus or off?

I submitted my supplemental application for stony brook the day before the deadline (Feb 1st). I haven't received an invite for an interview and I'm kicking myself for not submitting my app earlier. Is there still hope for an interview or even an acceptance or is the class mostly filled by now?

@jkr566 TBH I am not really sure.
I know they interview in March, so there may still be a chance. Stay positive!