Stony Brook (IS) vs. Maryland (OOS) vs. Rutgers (OOS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KrentistDDS

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m a NY resident so I’ll have IS tuition for stony brook and I’ll have IS for Maryland & Rutgers after one year. Maryland comes out the cheapest from my calculations...just trying to get opinions on pros and cons of each. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Gaining residency in Maryland is not easy by any means, nor is there a guarantee you'll get it, so keep that in mind. Lots of people I know said they would have gone to Maryland had it been guaranteed to get IS tuition after the first year. I've seen it posted before here on SDN tons too, so you may want to search about that. I don't know how easy it is to gain residency in NJ, but you should look into that too. As for pros and cons, it's probably best to list what you're looking for and what your preferences are to see how people can better inform you on these schools.

@Likkriue goes to SB, and @WolfsBane goes to Rutgers, so they can maybe help

Thanks for your response.

I know that Stony Brook doesn’t rank and is great for specializing - something I’m considering. The tuition is also relatively affordable compared to other schools but possibly more expensive than Maryland (assuming I get IS there). What concerns me is the location. It seems pretty isolated and maybe a bit depressing because of that. Also, the class size is very small which can either be a positive or a negative depending on the class...so that can be a hit or miss.

I know Rutgers is has a great clinical education but I can’t speak much to it. Newark isn’t a great location either but I’d be closer to home.

Maryland also has a great program and considerably cheaper if I get IS which is a big plus. But I would also be much farther from home.

I do want to be as close to family as I can be but I’m trying to take other factors into consideration.

Stony Brook is definitely isolated, but that shouldn't stop you from going out if you wanted to. I mean, there is a train station to Manhattan literally next to the campus (~1 hour ride).

If your calculations are correct, and if I had to choose among 3, I'd go with the cheapest. At the end of the day, if they are similar, making you a proficient dentist out of school, hey, I'd live a bit further away from family for thousands of dollars difference. Maryland is still... not... that... far... either. Then again, I would drive to schools, so it might be different if you are not. It's also in a city if you prefer a city lifestyle.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Also, don’t forget to multiply all fees by 2 when you add them up for each year. They are charged each semester if you read carefully. Tuition is listed by semester as well so double that while your at it.

Good luck getting IS in Maryland lmao.

Didn’t we spend like 20-30 minutes talking to you about stony brook at the table? Nothing’s changed.