Stony Brook vs. Albany vs. Upstate vs. Case Western

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nucleispins

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, I would like to mention that I will specialize in primary care (General Internal Medicine or Med-Peds), so I will never be rolling in cash...especially since I will be working with low socioeconomic populations. I am 99% certain of this specialty.

The military is not a choice for me to pay-off loans, but perhaps the National Health Service Corps and outside scholarships?

Renaissance School of Medicine at Stony Brook

Pros
  • Full tuition scholarship + $10,000 stipend
  • Residency program I am interested in (Med-Peds)
  • New 3-year track option
Cons
  • My partner doesn't like Long Island
  • Larger class size
  • Higher cost of living on Long Island

Albany Medical College
Pros
  • Home
  • Partner's preference
  • Already have friends and networks with hospitals in the area from current job
Cons
  • No merit-based aid
  • No aid in the first year, and spotty aid thereafter
  • Private school = expensive!
SUNY-Upstate
Pros
  • Location is more to my partner's liking.
  • In-State school = more affordable
Cons
  • No merit-based aid = more loans
Case Western Reserve University
Pros
  • Ranking (Top 25)
  • New facilities across from the Cleveland Clinic. Will have the opportunity at amazing rotations.
  • Class size (not too big or small)
  • $16,000/semester aid

Cons
  • Out of State
  • Have to worry about my partner being re-certified for the state (more stress on my partner)
  • Still looking at $60,000/year in loans
  • Is prestige worth it to go into primary care?

Summary: I really loved Case Western. If money were not an option, I would go there in one second. However, I am already paying off undergraduate student debt ($20,000 to go). Student debt really delays life mile-stones, and I do not want anymore debt than possible. I am a semi-finalist for another $10,000 scholarship, but that is still nothing compared to the debt I am looking at with Case Western or Albany Med. I am leaning toward the Renaissance school of Medicine at Stony Brook.

Lastly, due to me wanting to keep my anonymity, please limit the amount of personal information for which you ask.

Members don't see this ad.

IF you are 100% certain in Primary care, Take stony brook and run. I would write a nice letter to CWRU to see if they can help out any further.

Reactions: 1 user
Stony Brook all the way.
Many of the best docs at my T10 went to Stony Brook.
Though not your partner's fav, it is better for that person than your other choices, given the significant financial outlay that you might have to make for Albany, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Upstate if location and price are the two determining factors!! Checks off both boxes. Of course have a long conversation with your partner about this and do some more research as it seems like you have been doing. At the end of the day - you're going to medical school and pursuing your dream, so exhale and go with your gut!

Stony Brook all the way! Full tuition and a stipend!!!! Plus, they have a three year program and a residency program that you're interested in, so you can incur one less year of debt especially since you want to do primary care. Unless you can manage to get more $$$ from the other schools, take the money. You and your partner will need to have a serious discussion and compromise a bit.