This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clutchgene

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have recently been accepted to Stony Brook and Drexel. I'm extremely excited to get both acceptances but both of them were going through curriculum changes and I'm not sure how much of a guinea pig I want to be. Here's a summary of their changes:

1. Drexel: They just changed from Traditional to Systems-based. Also, they got rid of in-class lectures entirely and instead have 30 min online videos with group sessions. Their rationale is it'll free up time for students and better prepare them for Step 1. I'm a bit worried though since this change seems very drastic.

2. Stony Brook: I'm not sure how much they're changing their curriculum, but they are now making students take Step 1 a year after rotations. To summarize: Students would finish their basic sciences in December of their 2nd year. Students would start rotations January of their 2nd year. Students would take Step 1 January of their 3rd year. Their rationale behind this change is that students can apply what they learned from rotations to the USMLE and I guess Stanford and some Ivy leagues do it. This seems like unfamiliar territory and I'm not sure I want to be a guinea pig.
I also have an acceptance for Wayne State, which from my understanding, has not gone through a recent drastic change. I believe they have a systems-based learning implemented. I just want to see if the aforementioned changes above are advantageous or not.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Can't speak with intimate knowledge on those two, but if you don't mind moving out to the midwest Wayne State might be your best option. I know they have great training sites and worked with an excellent doc who was a grad from there.

Go to Wayne State, unless you want to be in NY. I haven't heard great things about Drexel.

Reactions: 1 user
The best curriculum is the one that gives you the most free time to do Zanki, pathoma, and board questions. Pick the one with the most free time. And for sure dont pick one with mandatory classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
The best curriculum is the one that gives you the most free time to do Zanki, pathoma, and board questions. Pick the one with the most free time. And for sure dont pick one with mandatory classes.

^^^ this. Ideally no hidden rank pre-clinical, no mandatory classes, nothing with groups, pick the school that will leave you alone for 2 years and let you study. And research opportunities (hard to know this beforehand).

Can you explain? Is this mainly due to the rankings/reputation or anything else? Also, is it better to take Step after a year of rotation?
Several things, you can look further on the website about some of the "hate" or complaints about drexel. For one thing, Drexel is rolling out a new curriculum in which its ALL online. You will be a ginea pig in this new curriculum and will have to work out the kinks and what not. Also, Drexels facilities and Campus are some of the worst I have personally seen from a MD school. And overall Stony brook takes a fat dump on Drexel in terms of names and everything lol

Reactions: 1 users
Drexel is a weak school that makes bank off of 10k apps a year. Then they are going to save $ by not paying instructors and doing an online curriculum. They are actually pretty smart.

Several things, you can look further on the website about some of the "hate" or complaints about drexel. For one thing, Drexel is rolling out a new curriculum in which its ALL online. You will be a ginea pig in this new curriculum and will have to work out the kinks and what not. Also, Drexels facilities and Campus are some of the worst I have personally seen from a MD school. And overall Stony brook takes a fat dump on Drexel in terms of names and everything lol

That's good to know. I guess my only concern with Stony Brook is that students will now be taking Step 1 one year after rotations and felt a bit uneasy given that the first batch who will undergo this will be the current MS2s. Should that be a reason for concern?

That's good to know. I guess my only concern with Stony Brook is that students will now be taking Step 1 one year after rotations and felt a bit uneasy given that the first batch who will undergo this will be the current MS2s. Should that be a reason for concern?

Other schools have also pushed their step 1 back and the respective cohorts have done significantly better. Take from it what you will.