This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RSVBT

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Very fortunate to get acceptance to these two state schools.

Without considering costs, is there is a perceived difference in the quality of these two (in terms of match competitiveness, general feelings towards, etc.)

Here are some quicks pros/cons I jotted down.. Let me know if I missed something!

Stony Brook
Pros
  • Smaller class size (136 v 162)
  • More "options" (e.g. More dual degrees, possibility to do 3 year MD)
  • Potentially better matching beyond Massachusetts?
  • Some new, shiny buildings (i.e. MART)
  • Big improvement in STEP 1 (~6pts) after switching up the curriculum

Cons
  • Worse rep than UMass? (If so, how come? Less known?)
  • Competition with undergrads for on-campus research?
UMass
Pros

• Learning communities and great outdoor activities (apparently 99th percentile for student happiness)
  • Better USNews and residency director rankings (not sure how good a measure this is?)
  • Really good looking campus (subjective, I know)
Cons
  • Worse location? (Students have expressed discontent with Worcester)
  • Possibility of being pigeon-holed into primary care? (I would like to maximize options)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thank you for the great answer! I now see that I was focusing on factors that are less important in the overall experience.

To add to important factors: Do they administer NBME exams or faculty written exams? NBME exams are superior because you can focus on board relevant material instead of nit picky details.

Reactions: 1 users
To add to important factors: Do they administer NBME exams or faculty written exams? NBME exams are superior because you can focus on board relevant material instead of nit picky details.
Great point! I'll ask the students I know there.