Stony Brook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i hope!:luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Stony Brook >>>>>>>> AECOM

half the tuition
campus of 20,000 people
out in sweet long island
amazing research
Great matchlist into NYC every year
etc, etc, etc,

congrads on acceptance; I had to make the stony vs. aecom decision too; i'm going with stony as many people do. It pretty much comes down to this: you better have a damn good reason or a top 15 school to pick your finest state school over a different school (stony is in top 50 and will be climbing). I love the area.

-serge

Members don't see this ad :)
did anyone hear anything?

btw, i havent read of any post-interview rejections.. is there such a beast, or do you just get the dirty end of the waitlist?

I just got my acceptance from Stony Brook earlier this week. I interviewed on the 27th of February.

Hope you guys hear back soon. Good luck!:luck:

did anyone hear anything?

btw, i havent read of any post-interview rejections.. is there such a beast, or do you just get the dirty end of the waitlist?

No, someone posted a few months ago that they were rejected. But SB claims that it's pretty rare because they interview a smaller % of applicants than other schools.

Stony Brook seems to be a more well-known school than I thought. I recently met a person from england, 21 years old. He said that within the science community at universities there, Stony Brook is VERY well known. He said people into the sciences in England try to get into study abroad programs to Stony Brook. He also said that SB is especially well known and respected for its medical school.

Congrats to all who got in :)

Stony Brook seems to be a more well-known school than I thought. I recently met a person from england, 21 years old. He said that within the science community at universities there, Stony Brook is VERY well known. He said people into the sciences in England try to get into study abroad programs to Stony Brook. He also said that SB is especially well known and respected for its medical school.

Congrats to all who got in :)

I think SB is a great school, and hope to go there, but I'll raise you a couple of PhDs in health research around Oxbridge and several pharm and doctors in training who know nothing about it.

I always feel that international reputation tends to be so severely localized to a field/researcher/study that it's a fairly meaningless way to judge a medical school. Unless you're trying to move to that country post-graduation, I suppose.

Any news or updates? I still havent heard :(, its been 3 months.

Thats 3 x what they had told me at the interview, 4 weeks.

i'm still waiting, 8 weeks for me.

i've been on the waitlist for a while now (interviewed back in december just before break, put on the list early january)...how are your chances once you get on the list?

Members don't see this ad :)
This wait is driving me insane.

How many are still waiting other then me and littlephilly?

I think you might be at the point where you can call and ask what's up...:luck:

I think you might be at the point where you can call and ask what's up...:luck:

I have called, multiple times, they tell me nothing that helps. I dont see why it should take 3 months when some here in as little as 2 weeks. I really liked the school too so that makes this wait even more excruciating.

i think we may be hearing soon.. i'm feeling increased anxiety about the coming week!

called up the admissions office yesterday: "your file has been loooked at by the admissions committee, but no decision was rendered"

called up the admissions office yesterday: "your file has been loooked at by the admissions committee, but no decision was rendered"

wow, what does that mean. I dont think they need to be doing this to us at this point. BTW when did you interview?

I'm here with ya buddy...the waiting is killing me too, although I interviewed later than you.

They told me they'd let us (us being the interviewees that day) that we'd know "in about 4 weeks" but hopefully within 4 weeks. It's been more than 4 weeks for me though, so I guess that's not very helpful :laugh:

Stony Brook >>>>>>>> AECOM

half the tuition
campus of 20,000 people
out in sweet long island
amazing research
Great matchlist into NYC every year
etc, etc, etc,

congrads on acceptance; I had to make the stony vs. aecom decision too; i'm going with stony as many people do. It pretty much comes down to this: you better have a damn good reason or a top 15 school to pick your finest state school over a different school (stony is in top 50 and will be climbing). I love the area.

-serge
Oh come on....you were supposed to go to AECOM so there would be another spot...gah!!!
(I was rejected by AECOM without an interview so I'm counting on Stony here)

I think SB is a great school, and hope to go there, but I'll raise you a couple of PhDs in health research around Oxbridge and several pharm and doctors in training who know nothing about it.

I always feel that international reputation tends to be so severely localized to a field/researcher/study that it's a fairly meaningless way to judge a medical school. Unless you're trying to move to that country post-graduation, I suppose.

lol, you know, as far as localized reputations go, the guy who did my volunteer training last weekend was talking about how Stony Brook got his oncologist to go there (as faculty) because their hospital was "in trouble" and "almost lost accreditation"...something I had never heard before, and something that I couldn't find much evidence for (not saying it might not be true, but I couldn't find anything on google that suggests that Stony Brook was ever at risk of losing accreditation).

Anyways, in the science world I'd actually think Stony Brook might have been heard of, simply because all you need is a couple breakthroughs to happen at your school and then everyone will have heard of you even if you're obscure in the normal world. A Nobel prize will do you wonders in the science world...and Stony Brook had a professor that won in 2003 for his work in inventing the MRI...so anybody who follows the Nobel Prize would have heard of Stony Brook.

lol, you know, as far as localized reputations go, the guy who did my volunteer training last weekend was talking about how Stony Brook got his oncologist to go there (as faculty) because their hospital was "in trouble" and "almost lost accreditation"...something I had never heard before, and something that I couldn't find much evidence for (not saying it might not be true, but I couldn't find anything on google that suggests that Stony Brook was ever at risk of losing accreditation).

well they were in BIG time trouble because of the death of several pediatric patients. They were under scrutiny and re-examination by the state as well as regulatory agencies. it's been all over the newspapers and regional news for well over a year.

well they were in BIG time trouble because of the death of several pediatric patients. They were under scrutiny and re-examination by the state as well as regulatory agencies. it's been all over the newspapers and regional news for well over a year.

Wow, I've never heard of this (bizarre since I live in New York) but I guess being away for college would have kept me from hearing Long Island related stuff, and I haven't really watched regional news since moving back to NYC (and have read mostly the WSJ...). Time to go google this up.

Dang, I guess they had to hire all sorts of people after that mess to try and clean their image back up. Heh, guess Stony Brook isn't the place to go if I want to get into Pediatrics though.

Wow, I've never heard of this (bizarre since I live in New York) but I guess being away for college would have kept me from hearing Long Island related stuff, and I haven't really watched regional news since moving back to NYC (and have read mostly the WSJ...). Time to go google this up.

Dang, I guess they had to hire all sorts of people after that mess to try and clean their image back up. Heh, guess Stony Brook isn't the place to go if I want to get into Pediatrics though.

http://www.drugtopics.com/drugtopics/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=376029

http://www.northcountrygazette.org/articles/110706UnitClosed.html

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpa...F935A2575BC0A9609C8B63&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4189/is_20060816/ai_n16640222

It's actually this article that has me the most worried about the med school though:
http://www.newsday.com/news/local/longisland/ny-lihosp1105,0,6039849.story?coll=ny-top-headlines

More or less it sounds like everyone's jumping ship before it sinks :(

And from what I could find on google the pediatric cardiac program is still closed since they haven't hired a full-time surgeon, so no surgeries or catheterizations are allowed for now.

Ugh, I hope they get their stuff back up to snuff before clincal years or I'm going to be kinda sad since the expansion seemed like such a good opportunity.

It's actually this article that has me the most worried about the med school though:
http://www.newsday.com/news/local/longisland/ny-lihosp1105,0,6039849.story?coll=ny-top-headlines

And from what I could find on google the pediatric cardiac program is still closed since they haven't hired a full-time surgeon, so no surgeries or catheterizations are allowed for now.

Ugh, I hope they get their stuff back up to snuff before clincal years or I'm going to be kinda sad since the expansion seemed like such a good opportunity.

Yes, the does sound critical and scary. I had been reading Newsday with similar reports all last year.

Let's look at the good side of this; maybe next year it will be easy to get into Stony Brook Med School because no one will want to study there. :D

I too have heard about this from my friend who is a nurse in LI. Is there a current Stony Brook student who is willing to shed some light on how this has affected and/or will affect medical students? Thanks :)

I too have heard about this from my friend who is a nurse in LI. Is there a current Stony Brook student who is willing to shed some light on how this has affected and/or will affect medical students? Thanks :)

Hi folks,
Honestly, this hasn't had much affect on us (certainly not on 1st or 2nd year students). Stony Brook isn't going to lose its accreditation as a medical school because of some tragic accidents that occurred in the hospital. The main thing to come of the investigations at Stony Brook seems to be a call for the hospital and medical school to be separated from the rest of the campus (organizationally), because there seem to be some blurry lines about where money is spent (recall that the president of the university is also currently in charge of the hospital). In terms of the clinical years, if you are not comfortable doing your pediatrics rotation at Stony Brook you could put in to do it at Winthrop Hospital, Nassau University Medical Center, or several other Long Island hospitals. This year 11 fourth years matched into pediatrics at the following residency programs: Einstein/Jacobi Medical Center-NY
St Louis Children's Hospital-MO
Northwestern McGaw/CMH-IL
Children's National Medical Center-DC
NYU School of Medicine
North Shore-LIJ Health System-NY
Children's Hospital-Philadelphia-PA
Yale-New Haven Hospital-CT
UPMC Medical Education Program-PA
NYP Hosp-Columbia Univ Medical Center-NY
Maimonides Medical Center-NY

Let me know if you have more questions. It can definitely be worrying when there is bad news coming from a place that you are considering getting your medical education but I think Stony Brook is going to pull through.

that article just bashed the school pretty hard; sounds rough - hope stony can pull through.

Hi folks,
Honestly, this hasn't had much affect on us (certainly not on 1st or 2nd year students). Stony Brook isn't going to lose its accreditation as a medical school because of some tragic accidents that occurred in the hospital. The main thing to come of the investigations at Stony Brook seems to be a call for the hospital and medical school to be separated from the rest of the campus (organizationally), because there seem to be some blurry lines about where money is spent (recall that the president of the university is also currently in charge of the hospital). In terms of the clinical years, if you are not comfortable doing your pediatrics rotation at Stony Brook you could put in to do it at Winthrop Hospital, Nassau University Medical Center, or several other Long Island hospitals. This year 11 fourth years matched into pediatrics at the following residency programs: Einstein/Jacobi Medical Center-NY
St Louis Children's Hospital-MO
Northwestern McGaw/CMH-IL
Children's National Medical Center-DC
NYU School of Medicine
North Shore-LIJ Health System-NY
Children's Hospital-Philadelphia-PA
Yale-New Haven Hospital-CT
UPMC Medical Education Program-PA
NYP Hosp-Columbia Univ Medical Center-NY
Maimonides Medical Center-NY

Let me know if you have more questions. It can definitely be worrying when there is bad news coming from a place that you are considering getting your medical education but I think Stony Brook is going to pull through.
I was wondering about the research staff leaving that the newsday article mentioned...have they hired any prestigious new researchers or something to try and reverse the trend? It just sounded really worrisome.

Either way though this is totally confusing me since I had sorta just assumed Stony Brook would have fantastic research, but if all the best researchers have since left, that's kind of a problem lol.

I was wondering about the research staff leaving that the newsday article mentioned...have they hired any prestigious new researchers or something to try and reverse the trend? It just sounded really worrisome.

Either way though this is totally confusing me since I had sorta just assumed Stony Brook would have fantastic research, but if all the best researchers have since left, that's kind of a problem lol.

Nah, there's still lots of research going on. I don't know about who they have hired recently, but pick a department and you probably have at least a dozen interesting research projects going on that you can get involved with.

Yeah seriously... I'm an undergrad here who does research, and there are a TREMENDOUS amount of amazing research opportunities here. It hasn't really changed since the bad press. Also, the guy who wrote the article in the times (I believe that one) was someone who held a job here and got fired... so I'm really not surprised it bashes the school so much.

Really, this could happen to any hospital, and if it has any effect on med students at all, it wouldn't be till third year, and at Stony Brook, there's always the choice to due the ped/surgery rotation elsewhere, so I really highly doubt it's a big deal for med students.

Hi guys. Just wanted to let you waitlisters know that I'm withdrawing my acceptance. Hope one of you gets it soon! :) :luck: :hardy:

Hi guys. Just wanted to let you waitlisters know that I'm withdrawing my acceptance. Hope one of you gets it soon! :) :luck: :hardy:

Thank you :D :D :D and GL with whatever you choose.

No one heard this week about waitlist/acceptances?

Thank you :D :D :D and GL with whatever you choose.

No one heard this week about waitlist/acceptances?

Just got back from a long day running EMT calls and guess what my mom left on my table. A Stony Brook DHL letter! woot! :hardy::love: Interviewed in March btw.

Just got back from a long day running EMT calls and guess what my mom left on my table. A Stony Brook DHL letter! woot! :hardy::love: Interviewed in March btw.

when in march. ugh i freak out everytime i see a dhl truck..even when i m not even close to my house. it's a terrible thing

Oh wow a March person...oh man, that means they'll probably (hopefully) decide on me soon too...

When in March? Super early March or more like mid-March?

lol, if I get accepted before the 17th I can cancel my trip to Buffalo and save some money I think (although, not much since I'd lose the plane ticket at the very least and I think maybe even the car rental). Too bad though, since it's already Friday, so even if they overnight it on Monday I'd probably already be on the plane by the time it gets to me. Ah well, I might just get rejected though so...gotta keep my expectations low.

It was Mid March. They sent me an email the day I recieved my DHL letter too.

Good luck everyone!

Two months of waiting and it paid off, I got my acceptance this past Thursday April 12, I interviewed early- mid Feb. It was exactly 8 weeks if I recall correctly. Guess ill be seeing some of you on the 20th.

As for the university taking heat cause of the tragedy with those kids, I work in the lab for one of the docs involved, as far as I see the med school is not going to be impacted by this but the hospital is def gunna get more strict with their policies, they got the feds coming more frequently to do inspections etc.. I don’t think anyone should turn away from the med school cause of this, Stony is still an amazing hospital…

thats very good to hear - i'm glad the med. school won't be affected much - i was beginning to worry a bit. I am picking Stony Brook Med. over Einstein and Boston University - and was thinking about the whole tragedy recently during the process. I can't wait to meet everyone. Class of 2011 is going to make history in the med. school like no class has done before; lets produce some hardcore match list results people =P

thats very good to hear - i'm glad the med. school won't be affected much - i was beginning to worry a bit. I am picking Stony Brook Med. over Einstein and Boston University - and was thinking about the whole tragedy recently during the process. I can't wait to meet everyone. Class of 2011 is going to make history in the med. school like no class has done before; lets produce some hardcore match list results people =P
Oh man you're scaring me already, lol...

someone posted in the wailist thread that the last of the acceptances were sent last week.. does anyone know if there is truth in that?