General Admissions & OTCAS Stonybrook vs Buffalo in NY for OT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LostOT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm from NYC and in the midst of applying to OT school for 2017. I haven't decided if I want to stay in the city or go upstate, or potentially even out of state.

For staying in the city, I've selected: SUNY Downstate, NYU
For upstate: SUNY Stonybrook, SUNY Buffalo
For out of state: Boston U, or Tufts U (But both require GRE.... :/ )

Can anyone give any insight on the programs of Buffalo and Stonybrook? The biggest reason why I'm steered a bit away from Buffalo is that they have pre-reqs that can't be completed unless you take it at Buffalo (aka there's no transferable articulation for those courses) so I would have to do is possibly go up a semester early and finish them. This seems like a huge turn-off but I was wondering if there was any saving grace as to why I may pick Buffalo over Stonybrook?

Members don't see this ad.

Just a heads up. Stony Brook is on long island, not upstate. I know someone who went to Stony Brook for OT and he loved it. It's intense, but they really prepare you for the OT field. Im sorry I don't know anything about Buffalo.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know much about Buffalo's program but I live on Long Island and can tell you that most of the places I have shadowed take students from Stony Brook because of how esteemed the program is on the island. Stony Brook is a school that is getting greater recognition nation-wide and the OT program is excellent in my opinion. Also, location wise, LI is somewhere that you could probably get more opportunities to work in bigger cities and the commute back home would be MUCH less of a hassle. I am actually applying to all of the schools you mentioned (besides Buffalo), best of luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you everyone for the replies. I got a replied back from Buffalo but they would not accept me into the programs unless I completed all the PreReqs (including the 5 courses that had no articulation in my school) and I basically would have to transfer in, take the PreReqs, THEN apply for the program and wait to be accepted. So I have to cross Buffalo off my list despite how I wanted to be with some friends.

I believe Buffalo only accepts students who complete their undergraduate degree there - I remember last year I wanted to apply and I emailed someone. I think they told me that they only accept their own students because you need a bachelors in occupational therapy to apply.