Strange Relation to School (Non-legacy)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I write or contact the school?

• Yes

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • No

Votes: 22 78.6%

• Total voters

Humerus84

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
So I find myself in a bit of an interesting position. I finished submitting my primary and secondary applications to all of the medical schools I am applying to this cycle back in August. Just this last week I was having a conversation with my grandmother about the schools I was applying to and upon hearing the name of one of my top choices she just casually mentioned that I am blood related to the founder of that university (he's my great x7 grandfather on my mom's side). This kind of blew my mind since I've always had a strange draw to this specific school that I was unable to explain even before my investigation into their med school program solidified my interest. I have verified the relationship through multiple genealogies. The school welcomes update letters, but I realize that this is not typical update letter information. So my question is, if you were in my position, would you write them (I have not been offered an interview yet) or just hope for an interview and maybe bring it up then? I would love to inform them of this interesting fact because I believe it could be an asset, but I do not want to come across as though I feel entitled. Furthermore, I also do not know whether sharing this information would even seem relevant to the adcom or if sharing this information in the update letter format would be deemed inappropriate. Let me know what you guys think. I appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

I’m not an expert but I would include it WITHIN the update letter. I think that’s pretty interesting, makes you stand apart. Make sure you have solid things to update then about though —new extracurriculars, publication, etc

Hey everyone,
So I find myself in a bit of an interesting position. I finished submitting my primary and secondary applications to all of the medical schools I am applying to this cycle back in August. Just this last week I was having a conversation with my grandmother about the schools I was applying to and upon hearing the name of one of my top choices she just casually mentioned that I am blood related to the founder of that university (he's my great x7 grandfather on my mom's side). This kind of blew my mind since I've always had a strange draw to this specific school that I was unable to explain even before my investigation into their med school program solidified my interest. I have verified the relationship through multiple genealogies. The school welcomes update letters, but I realize that this is not typical update letter information. So my question is,
1) if you were in my position, would you write them (I have not been offered an interview yet) or
2) just hope for an interview and maybe bring it up then?
3) I would love to inform them of this interesting fact because I believe it could be an asset, but I do not want to come across as though I feel entitled.
4) Furthermore, I also do not know whether sharing this information would even seem relevant to the adcom
5) or if sharing this information in the update letter format would be deemed inappropriate.
1) No.
2) No.
3) Don't. It will be assumed you feel entitled.
4) It's not. Why do you think they'd care?
5) Please, refrain from doing so.

JMO.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
good thing you posted here to get some objective opinions on the draw you have to that school that you are now connecting to the blood that runs through your veins. sounds like some confirmation bias to me lol

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone,
So I find myself in a bit of an interesting position. I finished submitting my primary and secondary applications to all of the medical schools I am applying to this cycle back in August. Just this last week I was having a conversation with my grandmother about the schools I was applying to and upon hearing the name of one of my top choices she just casually mentioned that I am blood related to the founder of that university (he's my great x7 grandfather on my mom's side). This kind of blew my mind since I've always had a strange draw to this specific school that I was unable to explain even before my investigation into their med school program solidified my interest. I have verified the relationship through multiple genealogies. The school welcomes update letters, but I realize that this is not typical update letter information. So my question is, if you were in my position, would you write them (I have not been offered an interview yet) or just hope for an interview and maybe bring it up then? I would love to inform them of this interesting fact because I believe it could be an asset, but I do not want to come across as though I feel entitled. Furthermore, I also do not know whether sharing this information would even seem relevant to the adcom or if sharing this information in the update letter format would be deemed inappropriate. Let me know what you guys think. I appreciate it.
I say this with all due respect...get a grip on reality man and do not say this in any update letter if you do plan on mentioning it; because it gives off a Bat-Signal level of craziness

Reactions: 4 users
Your relative's ties to the school hold no bearing to your qualifications as an applicant, so, no.

Reactions: 1 user
This kind of blew my mind since I've always had a strange draw to this specific school that I was unable to explain even before my investigation into their med school program solidified my interest.

Yeah sure....:rolleyes: Please don't include any of this in any update letters, it is a sure fire way to give them a good laugh before they put your app in the round filing cabinet

Hey everyone,

Do it. We need all the help we can get.

Reactions: 7 users
in all seriousness, you should definitely send the school an update about this. i wish i confirmed by multiple geneologies that my great great great great great great great grandfather founded a school

i can see it now. adcom member opens letter and nearly falls out of chair:

“BY THE BEARD OF ZEUS! Humerus84’s great great great great great great great grandfather is a founder of our school!!

DEBRA! GET TO THE EMAIL NOW AND SEND THIS KID AN INVITE!”

Reactions: 1 users
DEBRA! GET TO THE EMAIL NOW AND SEND THIS KID AN INVITE!”

An invite? Bruh skip that and just send an outright acceptance with scholarship. Can't be sending simple invites to the heir of the Harvard fortune

Reactions: 5 users
OP, if I were you, I’d mention it in the interview if you find a good time to incorporate it BUT please don’t send an update letter to tell them that. Think objectively — that doesn’t make you a stronger candidate for medical school. And that’s what they’re evaluating. Who your ancestors are doesn’t play a role, ESPECIALLY since it’s like 7 generations ago.

Just in case any of you are unfamiliar with the wise Med Ed's dry wit, what he is actually saying "do this and it's one more easy reject".

I wish this clarification were not necessary, but alas, this is SDN, and so it is.

Reactions: 1 users
My grandparents say a lot of things about my ancestry. I take them all with a grain of salt.

I had a similar situation. To maintain some anonymity, let’s just say that a long-dead relative of mine was an *extremely* important figure in the history of not 1, but 3 different medical schools across the country, both MD and DO (not a founder though). I share his last name (though it’s a common last name). None of the 3 gave half a crap. One of the schools did email me to ask if I was related. I said yes, and they essentially responded with “Oh cool” and never gave me an II. Those ungrateful bastards!

Point is, no one really cares about an obscure historical connection. It’s not even good for bragging rights because no one gives a crap.