Strengthening GPA

Started by sarahjth
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sarahjth

PharmD Wannabe!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone else feel like no matter what they do... their GPA is at a standstill? I feel like I keep getting the A's but the GPA just sits there teasing me. I am starting to re-take some classes that I previously got C's in.. but does any else just feel flustrated about this. Are there any words of encouragement or stories? Anyone with a lower GPA keep applying until they got in??

Has anyone else encountered this thought: :idea:

I wonder if I keep applying and applying someone is bound to take me? I wonder what the most years a person that has been denied admission re-applied?
 
many schools replace the higher grade in the factor of your GPA, so let's say you have 6 C's on your transcript and retake all those classes and get all A's, the C's wont factor into your GPA, thus they will have calculated a higher GPA, so you can still have a 4.0 factored GPA if you retook all those classes and recieved A's. USN also won't look at grades past 5 years if you mark it on your application; in sum, there is hope!
 
That's nice to know...that they wont look at grades past five years b/c freshman year was a year of zero motivation...but how does that work?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
that's my problem... I was so homesick my freshmen year that I did so poorly.. and now I am still paying for it. EEEK... My GPA does not represent me at all.
 
csa78 said:
many schools replace the higher grade in the factor of your GPA, so let's say you have 6 C's on your transcript and retake all those classes and get all A's, the C's wont factor into your GPA, thus they will have calculated a higher GPA, so you can still have a 4.0 factored GPA if you retook all those classes and recieved A's. USN also won't look at grades past 5 years if you mark it on your application; in sum, there is hope!
This is true, but PharmCAS will take both grades into factoring your GPA. Ugh.
 
csa78 said:
many schools replace the higher grade in the factor of your GPA, so let's say you have 6 C's on your transcript and retake all those classes and get all A's, the C's wont factor into your GPA,

Im not sure how true this is. I had to retake two courses and both the original and the retake grades appear on my transcript. A friend of mine got a F in biochem, retook it and got an A and both still appear on her transcript.

As for pharm schools, it sounds like it depends on where you apply. Every school I applied to took both grades into account when determining my gpa, or they only looked at the last 60 hrs.
 
the last 60 hours, is this a common practice or only at selective schools???