Strict course requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

stitch62679

Hi, I just got back a couple of secondary applications, and although I passed TUCOM and VCOMs initial screenings, they both have informed me I'm deficient in physics (and I've already taken 4 credits). I was wondering if anyone had any luck getting a requirement like this waived. I have my Pharm.D degree and am out of school, so taking physics isn't the hardest thing to do but doesn't seem very helpful to my situation. Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

All of them require 8 hrs of physics. I doubt that you'll successfully get them waived. Considering that so many DO applicants are non-trads, I doubt that your situation will move them to make an exception.

I must agree. To go the other way. My wife has a masters in Pharm Chem and when she applied to Pharm school her acceptance was contingent on her completing 3 more credits of english, 3 credits of economics and 3 credits of speech. they would not waive it. I also know a PhD in a similar situation. Completing physics 2 seems stupid, but just play the game instead of fighting the system b/c it is likely you will lose.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep I agree. You have to take 1 yr of Physics with labs for both. That should give you 8 credit hours.

Remember you have to take it before you matriculate so you will still have fall or spring or summer left to get it in.

Good luck. Sorry, but they ususally don't waive the requirements. I hated Physics. yuck!!!

I was accepted to TUCOM and had one semester of OChem waived. I did this in person, though. It probably depends upon your situation, but it is always worth a try! Good luck.

You have to do all the pre requisites just like the rest of us. :thumbup:

racystacey07 said:
I was accepted to TUCOM and had one semester of OChem waived. I did this in person, though. It probably depends upon your situation, but it is always worth a try! Good luck.

I don't think I agree with this - while I don't think any of these classes help that much once in medical school, it proves you have to ability to handle the sorts of information for which you will be responsible once in medical school. Of course, there's always the fact that the pre-requisite courses are covered on the MCAT.

My vote is take the extra class as a summer course - it's quick (so you get physics over with faster - yuck, physics) and then you don't have to worry about trying to get a school to accept you w/o a pre-requisite.

best of luck!