How strict are DO schools with min GPA requirements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turtle2019

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have seen that a number of DO schools have a minimum science GPA of 3.0. My overall science GPA falls below that. However, I did an SMP and got a 3.6 and have an MCAT of 518. I was just wondering if these DO schools will still consider my application? How strict are they with these minimum requirements?

Thank you so much

Members don't see this ad.

I would email the schools you’re interested in and ask. For example, my overall science GPA was too low for one of the schools I’m interested in, but I contacted them and they were willing to consider my graduate science GPA, which is considerably higher. Definitely ask before you waste money sending a primary or secondary.

Reactions: 1 users
When they sort out the apps by GPA and MCAT yours may drop to the bottom of the list and could take much longer to be reviewed since they will review those that either meet or are above their requirements. You will need to decide if you want to pay the fee for those schools but you will never be reviewed if their fee is not paid.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would email the schools you’re interested in and ask. For example, my overall science GPA was too low for one of the schools I’m interested in, but I contacted them and they were willing to consider my graduate science GPA, which is considerably higher. Definitely ask before you waste money sending a primary or secondary.

Care to share the program considering I’m in the same position?

Thank you. I did ask a few but they all said no so far.

Thank you. I did ask a few but they all said no so far.

I’ve encountered the same issue. Reinvention is great but only gets your foot in the door at certain programs. Some don’t care and won’t budge. Such is their prerogative.

Reactions: 1 user
Care to share the program considering I’m in the same position?

VCOM-LA. I don’t know if it matters, but I’m in-state for that campus.

you're good for MD. don't make the assumption you'll get into an MD with grade correction as they are less forgiving than DO schools.

schools and programs make exceptions all the time. don't worry too much about it.

I’ve encountered the same issue. Reinvention is great but only gets your foot in the door at certain programs. Some don’t care and won’t budge. Such is their prerogative.
Yes, I have contacted a number of programs, and all have said no.

Last edited:
  • Care
  • Sad
you're good for MD. don't make the assumption you'll get into an MD with grade correction as they are less forgiving than DO schools.

schools and programs make exceptions all the time. don't worry too much about it.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this?

Yes, I have contacted a number of programs, and all have said no. They don't care about my 518 or good graduate gpa.

I’d be interested in the programs that said yay or nay. I have a list myself. But the point is finding the programs that say yes or are willing to consider reinvention. So far LMU and ACOM are on my list. And KYCOM it appears.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’d be interested in the programs that said yay or nay. I have a list myself. But the point is finding the programs that say yes or are willing to consider reinvention. So far LMU and ACOM are on my list. And KYCOM it appears.
Thanks for that info, I'll apply to those. For my: Liberty, AT stills and Burrell all said no thus far.

Thanks for that info, I'll apply to those. For my: Liberty, AT stills and Burrell all said no thus far.

Agreed on those. LECOM IF you have a 2.7 science GPA is a good one. Also knockout DMU, NYITCOM, Ohio, and UNECOM

ACOM is to a point. I got a presecondary rejection with a reinvention GPA of 3.8 over 60 credit hours and a 506. I was surprised.

• Sad
ACOM is to a point. I got a presecondary rejection with a reinvention GPA of 3.8 over 60 credit hours and a 506. I was surprised.

What were your cumulative and science GPAs? Any interesting ECs or work experience?

Wait you said presecondary?

I got a secondary but I have a Master in Medical Science w/ 3.68 and 15 years as a medic. 501 MCAT. Not sure how I got one and you didn’t.

Wait you said presecondary?

I got a secondary but I have a Master in Medical Science w/ 3.68 and 15 years as a medic. 501 MCAT. Not sure how I got one and you didn’t.

Yea presecondary. I have tons of interesting stuff in my application. I also have a really compelling story of overcoming obstacles that are associated with low SES and also healthcare. I have tons of volunteering and clinical experience as well.

cGPA 2.7 ish sGPA: 2.97 last 60 credits 3.8

Yea presecondary. I have tons of interesting stuff in my application. I also have a really compelling story of overcoming obstacles that are associated with low SES and also healthcare. I have tons of volunteering and clinical experience as well.

That’s BS. I’m sorry. You absolutely deserve a secondary more than I do.

• Love
That’s BS. I’m sorry. You absolutely deserve a secondary more than I do.

No no no. You deserve just as much as anyone else who has devoted the time and effort into reinvention. Good luck! You got this!

• Care
@Goro do you know if schools make exceptions to minimum GPA? If so, how should we go about asking an exception? Thank you so much

Sounds like my app is similar to yours, c/sGPA 2.93, 511 MCAT and I got denied pre-secondary. Oh well, if they don't want us, we don't want them!

Sounds like my app is similar to yours, c/sGPA 2.93, 511 MCAT and I got denied pre-secondary. Oh well, if they don't want us, we don't want them!

Exactly! I have 45 more schools left to hear from haha. Goodluck!

I have no clue what ACOM is screening for in the pre-secondary that got you screened out. I’m sorry. You guys/gals have worked so hard. I’m wondering if having a Masters/SMP was what got me the secondary because my c/s GPAs are both sub 2.4 (2.35/2.39 respectively)

Honestly it probably was because I don’t have that and the rest of my app is pretty solid.

Honestly it probably was because I don’t have that and the rest of my app is pretty solid.

Maybe. If that’s the case, I’m hoping it’s enough to net an interview. School is growing on me more and more. Just hope they didn’t send a secondary to make me feel better haha.

I heard that some schools won't screen you out but only if you bring your graduate performance to their attention

If this cycle doesn't work out due to undergrad performance, take a DIY-postbacc and get that sGPA over 3.0

Was in a similar spot a few years back, just started M2. Feel free to DM if you need some guidance.

Overall recommendation is to get as many GPA subcategories over 3.0 as you can. Just seeing a 2 in front of your gpa is gonna torpedo your chances at most places despite a great app otherwise ("holistic review" should have an asterisk next to it).

Sub-3 gpa anywhere is super tough (but possible) to overcome at MD schools. If you live in a good state (or just get hella lucky with private schools), you might have a super low chance (can't give you a number but...low). DO schools are comparatively lower stats, but that doesn't mean there won't be a bunch of 4.0s in your class. So either way, sub-3 is a big ask these days (since ~2008 by my estimations).

If you did an SMP, did you apply to that school? Any luck? Are you at risk of your mcat expiring?

I have no clue what ACOM is screening for in the pre-secondary that got you screened out. I’m sorry. You guys/gals have worked so hard. I’m wondering if having a Masters/SMP was what got me the secondary because my c/s GPAs are both sub 2.4 (2.35/2.39 respectively)

Yeah I have no idea. My undergrad GPA is a 2.5 and my masters GPA is 4.0. Who knows

Was in a similar spot a few years back, just started M2. Feel free to DM if you need some guidance.

Overall recommendation is to get as many GPA subcategories over 3.0 as you can. Just seeing a 2 in front of your gpa is gonna torpedo your chances at most places despite a great app otherwise ("holistic review" should have an asterisk next to it).

Sub-3 gpa anywhere is super tough (but possible) to overcome at MD schools. If you live in a good state (or just get hella lucky with private schools), you might have a super low chance (can't give you a number but...low). DO schools are comparatively lower stats, but that doesn't mean there won't be a bunch of 4.0s in your class. So either way, sub-3 is a big ask these days (since ~2008 by my estimations).

If you did an SMP, did you apply to that school? Any luck? Are you at risk of your mcat expiring?

FWIW, less than 100 out of 7000 matriculants had a GPA in my range in 2018. It’s not zero but chances are not good. But those numbers don’t reveal how many of those ~ 100 or so did a major reinvention via SMP, etc. My question every time I get a secondary that is pre-screened is “why”? I have few expectations with sub 2.4 GPAs. I can’t help but think they’re either trying to grab my money or they really don’t screen. Like, do I really stand a chance of an interview and maybe an acceptance? I just don’t know.

But I do know that some applicants in my position do get II and do get accepted. ADCOMS at SOME programs really do review and really do reward reinvention. The trick is finding which ones and how to convince them is you now is different than you then. Long story short; do an SMP.

I didn’t not apply to school where I did mine. Shockingly, they won’t budge on GPA requirement

When did you submit your primary? How many credits was your grad degree? Any clinical experience?

Mid/late juneish? 120 units, graduated in 2015. 10,000 hours clinical experience as an EMT, prehospital and ED. 100+ hours shadowing. Lots of work with the underserved including some global medicine experience. Currently writing a systematic review for research.

Mid/late juneish? 120 units, graduated in 2015. 10,000 hours clinical experience as an EMT, prehospital and ED. 100+ hours shadowing. Lots of work with the underserved including some global medicine experience. Currently writing a systematic review for research.

I will give you my secondary. You are so more deserving than myself. You and Caliz above.

I will give you my secondary. You are so more deserving than myself. You and Caliz above.

Nah not at all. Don't forget at the end of the day the job isn't school. The 15 years as a medic shows schools that you can do the job itself, which is ultimately what matters. Not that you can do perfect in school or tests.

Nah not at all. Don't forget at the end of the day the job isn't school. The 15 years as a medic shows schools that you can do the job itself, which is ultimately what matters. Not that you can do perfect in school or tests.

I appreciate it. It’s likely a major factor in getting a secondary. I answered my secondary essays well I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't ask for an exemption, that screams entitlement.

You contact the Admissions Deans and ask "Am I competitive for your school?"

Oh ok thank you @Goro . I did not mean it in an entitled sort of way.

So suppose they say the min is 3.0. Should I email the Admissions Dean, and tell him/her "I have done an SMP, MCAT, research publications, etc.... But my GPA is lower than 3.0?" How should I write it like?

I am worried, my application will be automatically rejected upon screening. Thank you so much once again.

Write it like:

Dear Dr. X,

Your school's min GPA is 3.0. "I have done an SMP at _____ Univ., my MCAT, is ###; . but my cGPA is lower than 3.0.

I am worried my application will be automatically rejected upon screening. I would very much like to attend your school, and so would I be screened out automatically?

Thank you so much

Reactions: 4 users
Write it like:

Dear Dr. X,

Your school's min GPA is 3.0. "I have done an SMP at _____ Univ., my MCAT, is ###; . but my cGPA is lower than 3.0.

I am worried my application will be automatically rejected upon screening. I would very much like to attend your school, and so would I be screened out automatically?

Thank you so much
Thank you .

*Update*
@dxu I contacted the admissions office and asked about my rejection. They said that my application was amazing but my GPA is what got me rejected. However, after a lengthy talk with admissions and expressing my interest in the school I was told they would speak to the dean of students on my behalf and I will be receiving a secondary.

Reactions: 3 users
I know that my school has a hard screen at 3.2 cGPA and sGPA until later in the application cycle, then they become more lax. The students that end up interviewing at that time either have an awesome MCAT and EC's and fill the last couple of spots in the upcoming class or they interview for a spot in the following year's class. Like the above posters said, shoot an email out and see what they say!

*Update*
@dxu I contacted the admissions office and asked about my rejection. They said that my application was amazing but my GPA is what got me rejected. However, after a lengthy talk with admissions and expressing my interest in the school I was told they would speak to the dean of students on my behalf and I will be receiving a secondary.

That is the best story I’ve heard in forever. Congrats!!

*Update*

Which school is this? Congratulations.

I know that my school has a hard screen at 3.2 cGPA and sGPA until later in the application cycle, then they become more lax. The students that end up interviewing at that time either have an awesome MCAT and EC's and fill the last couple of spots in the upcoming class or they interview for a spot in the following year's class. Like the above posters said, shoot an email out and see what they say!
what school is this?

KYCOM. This was also last year, it could have changed.

I got a secondary with a very low cGPA and sGPA but high SMP GPA and average MCAT and longtime medic. Don’t have any idea what they are evaluating for secondaries. Interested to see the outcome.

I got a secondary with a very low cGPA and sGPA but high SMP GPA and average MCAT and longtime medic. Don’t have any idea what they are evaluating for secondaries. Interested to see the outcome.

I got one from KYCOM too, no SMP but very steep upward trend over the last 60 credits. Under 3.0 GPA’s. I wonder what they are evaluating applicants like us on?

I got one from KYCOM too, no SMP but very steep upward trend over the last 60 credits. Under 3.0 GPA’s. I wonder what they are evaluating applicants like us on?

No clue. I gathered when I spoke with them they are pretty holistic so we better wow them on the secondary if the screen is that tough.

• Love