Struggles during first year... impact on residency match and career prospects?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How will this affect my residency match?

• This will not have any significant impact on my residency match if I have no further issues.

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • No chance at highly competitive specialties/programs, but have a good shot at those listed.

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Will have trouble matching into many of the specialties listed, only pursue the least competitive

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Will have trouble matching into any decent residency program in any specialty

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Methylation2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
post deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should change your set of possible responses in the poll. I don't think you should count yourself out of highly competitive specialties. It might be harder for you than for your classmates, but that doesn't mean impossible.

Reactions: 1 user
You will be ok according to many in SDN... All I can say is that be ready for Psych/FM/IM in rural North/South Dakota or something of that sort... The match this year for AMG was brutal man!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Fully half of the people who take the USMLE Step 1 exam score below 235, and half of all newly-minted MDs score in the bottom half of their classes. Does NOT mean they won't secure decent residencies and go on to become good or even excellent doctors.

The specialties you mention, Neurology, PM&R, IM, EM, FM, Psych, or Addiction Medicine, are not so competitive that an average Step score can't get you in -- assuming you do well from now on.

Just take a step back, self-manage to the best of your ability, and get the help you need pro-actively as soon as you recognize that you need it. Nothing unrecoverable so far...

I have a long documented history of depression and anxiety which has resulted in periodic struggles every few years but which I have been able to overcome and manage with time.

Unfortunately, these issues reared their ugly head during my first year in medical school and I failed two courses during my first semester. I was subsequently placed on a deceleration program and went half time this spring.

I decided to take a leave of absence during the spring semester because I finally realized I had developed a serious drinking problem. (How ingenious right? Treating depression with a depressant.) Anyway, I don't have any legal problems and never had any direct problems with my career related to alcoholism but I could finally see that it had gotten bad enough that I couldn't be the person or doctor I wanted to be unless I addressed the issue.

I entered an outpatient program for alcoholism in April, have been sober since, and plan to stay that way. I feel more clear headed, sharp, and resilient, which is how my school expected me to be. My school has been very compassionate and accommodating and I am planning to return and join the first year class next month. However, as school approaches I do have some concerns about my career trajectory. I haven't narrowed down my interests very much yet and as of now I am hoping to match in Neurology, PM&R, IM, EM, FM, Psych, or Addiction Medicine and I currently attend a school which is ranked about 30th in allopatheic medicine.
  • Let's assume that I perform like an average student from here on out with these issues now behind me. How will this experience affect my ability to obtain interviews with residency programs and to ultimately match? Will I be severely limited in receiving serious consideration in certain specialties, programs with a good reputation, or programs in certain geographical locations? Also, where could I find objective data about how students who struggled initially fair in the residency match?
  • Is my story something I should disclosure in my residency application and/or interviews?
Thanks for your feedback!

Repeating years is more common than you think. If residency programs ask you about it, just say you had trouble adjusting to med school, Don't mention the alcoholism.

It isn't the end of the world if you get your act together. It speaks for itself but you cannot fail anymore classes from here on out. Do the best you can. Apply and see what happens.

Several people in my medical school repeat every year. A good portion of them matched decently well into less competitive specialties. Get your beep to gether and dont mess up the second opportunity the school has granted. remember, just by you being at your school you have taken the spot away from another deserving applicant.

This proves that it's hard to be a highly functional alcoholic. Props to those who make it.

I am on the same boat as yours. But unlike you, I was extremely upset and offended couple of people here with my awful rents. (I apologize)
But now I am back to myself and am ready for the challenge. We got this together.

I say this frequently, but it bears repeating: your focus should be on actually passsing; save the worries about career trajectory for the end of 3rd year. All explanations aside, your odds of failing again are extremely high, especially once you get to second year coursework. Whatever you do, don't assume that you've fixed everything. I know you probably aren't like that, but enough people are that it's worth mentioning. Assume you're starting the year on the cusp of failing and study like your career depends on it (it does).

Going from failure to average is a big leap and fairly unlikely, but yes, if you could muster it then it would make a good case for any of the fields you mentioned earlier. Whatever you do, the name of the game is consistency from here on out. No more deccels, no remediations, just straight passes each and every time until you get your degree. If you make a good showing for the rest of school, you should be able to match into one of the fields you mentioned.

I would absolutely not ever mention the substance abuse unless forced to do so. Don't ever lie, but don't disclose voluntarily. Don't make it part of your story. People will not understand. The relapse rates for substance abuse are incredibly high and most will not want to take such a risk. So keep that to yourself.

Sorry you've had some struggles. Make the most of your second chance.