student clearinghouse is this for real?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clarkbar

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just discovered that there is a National Student Clearing House database that contains and provides all student's prior educational history to any school on demand. This is very disturbing for people with crappy transcripts at another community college etc they don't want brought to light.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you ****ing high?

Members don't see this ad :)
Previous posts by clarkbar:

I am a gal in distress. I had my admission rescinded from a school for academic dishonesty. I also withdrew from a domestic med school. My grades and test scores are good though. Would I have a chance for the carib schools which ones?

No, I graduated first, then went to med school. I passed three courses, failed two, then left the second year after a leave of absence.
My undergrad has a citation on it, put on years after I got it.
Do the Caribeans care about this thing? What about licensing boards in the states? Would I have to retake the mcat?

gpa: 3.465
sci: 3.464
mcat 27 (2002)

It looks like your concerns about the Student Clearinghouse (which is real) are an example of how acts of dishonesty can plague a person for years.

I'm not going to say what I think you are missing.

Hehe my Community College uses Student clearinghouse, i used it to mail my transcript to my new home 4-year uni.

PS I think i'm a sucker for troll posts. :rolleyes: I group you with CuteElectron and Headintheclouds. :thumbdown:

as far as i understand it:

requesting non-disclosure does not stop the student clearinghouse from obtaining directory and non-directory information because, afaik, clearinghouses are considered organizations with legitimate educational interests.

if a school queries the clearinghouse about a student's directory/non-directory information, and the clearinghouse provides such information, (again afaik) it does not violate FERPA. both the querying school and the national clearinghouse are educational entities. on the other hand, i don't know whether or not the clearinghouse discloses such information to schools if the student requests non-disclosure through the schools.

where are you getting your information?

Haha.

That's about as cool as referring to someone as an hero.

4chan lingo on SDN? This has gone too far. :mad:

Oh god..... If someone posts a rickroll on SDN....
:boom:

Edit: So I heard you liek mudkipz hahaha, I'm glad I got out b4 it took my soul

This is very disturbing for people with crappy transcripts at another community college etc they don't want brought to light.

Ever hear of ethics?

I have a "crappy community college transcript" from my high school days that I have reported to AMCAS. It brought my otherwise 3.9 GPA down to a 3.61... Are there really a lot of folks who lie/cheat by withholding transcripts? Am I the only one who finds this behavior appalling?

Ever hear of ethics?

I have a "crappy community college transcript" from my high school days that I have reported to AMCAS. It brought my otherwise 3.9 GPA down to a 3.61... Are there really a lot of folks who lie/cheat by withholding transcripts? Am I the only one who finds this behavior appalling?
I find it absolutely disgusting. Just filthy. Dirty,... Holy CRAP I just heard that Dr. Sue Johanson is going to retire!

Ever hear of ethics?

unethical, yes. appalling, no.

Members don't see this ad :)
4chan lingo on SDN? This has gone too far. :mad:

Oh god..... If someone posts a rickroll on SDN....
:boom:

Edit: So I heard you liek mudkipz hahaha, I'm glad I got out b4 it took my soul

I'll save this thread.

mario_yoshi.jpg

what?

as far as i understand it:

requesting non-disclosure does not stop the student clearinghouse from obtaining directory and non-directory information because, afaik, clearinghouses are considered organizations with legitimate educational interests.

if a school queries the clearinghouse about a student's directory/non-directory information, and the clearinghouse provides such information, (again afaik) it does not violate FERPA. both the querying school and the national clearinghouse are educational entities. on the other hand, i don't know whether or not the clearinghouse discloses such information to schools if the student requests non-disclosure through the schools.

where are you getting your information?

but to answer the OP's post, I'd say this sounds pretty valid. I doubt there is a way around the clearinghouse being used to identify which schools you've attended, otherwise it would be somewhat pointless.

I'll save this thread.

mario_yoshi.jpg

what?

............................................________
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,
.........................,/...............................................”:,
.....................,?......................................................,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:”........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
...,,,___.`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
............/.`~,......`-...................................../
.............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__
,,_..........}.>-._...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,__......`,.................................
...................`=~-,,.,...............................
................................`:,,...........................`..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_..........._,-%.......`.

This is what I got from the clearinghouse. I dont know what it means, nor does my registrar, much less how to implement it.

[FONT='Calibri', 'sans-serif']StudentTracker is used by educational institutions to match their own student records against the Clearinghouse’s national database in order to ascertain their students’ prior and subsequent enrollment and graduation at US postsecondary institutions other than their own. The Clearinghouse does not confirm or release blocked student records or non-directory information. Our database does not contain grades or financial loan information. We do not sell lists. .

[FONT='Calibri', 'sans-serif']If you wish to block the release of your directory information, you will need to make the request through your college’s registrar office. Assuming your college participates in the Clearinghouse, it will report your data to us as blocked and the Clearinghouse will, in turn, block its release to StudentTracker subscribers. .

[FONT='Calibri', 'sans-serif']I hope this addresses your concerns. Thank you for your inquiry. .

It would be poetic justice if a student managed to have the Clearinghouse send a report that access was blocked, and then had his application marked as containing a "peculiarity." He'd lose all hope of getting in anywhere - ever. :laugh:

It would be poetic justice if a student managed to have the Clearinghouse send a report that access was blocked, and then had his application marked as containing a "peculiarity." He'd lose all hope of getting in anywhere - ever. :laugh:

For sure, why WOULD you block it unless you were doing something shady?

Did you do anything about your trascripts and the claering house Clarkbar, I have your same case? what are you planing to do about the National clearing house? I think there is a lot of people who hides some of their trascripts, if anybody was ever rejected by a med school because of that we would have heard about it don't you think so?? thank you

one more thing, I think that if AMCAS checks the national they should state that in the application directions, but they do not, they just ask you to list all schools you attended, meanwhile they say that they will run a criminal background check , not all school even cares . I attended one year of community college, I was working and I did not do that good, I had 2 drops. so I decided to quit my job and to go to a university for a fresh start, I applied to a university, I got admission and they never found out that i attended another college prevoiusly, I am graduating within 2 semesters. SO I think that if anybody must check the prevoiusly attended college it should have been my university? Do I make any sense??

Universities don't necessarily check there.

The medical schools may check if they are seriously considering offering you an acceptance, or even after that.

Being suspected of dishonesty is one sure thing that will keep you out of a school. It's better to have blemished grades in the early years, than it is to be caught lying.

I was not sure that a bad grade was not going to keep me away of med school, so I did another mistake by repeating some of the prereq classes that I already took in college, so now If I want to send my college trascript I will have few repeated courses even though I had good grades in them??

I was not sure that a bad grade was not going to keep me away of med school, so I did another mistake by repeating some of the prereq classes that I already took in college, so now If I want to send my college trascript I will have few repeated courses even though I had good grades in them??

All courses you have ever taken at a college level (or higher) must be included on AMCAS. This includes multiple attempts of courses (which you will have to mark as "Repeat") in AMCAS.

That's more okay than trying to hide them. Hopefully, you did better on them the second time around. You may get asked why you repeated the courses. Just give a convincing, honest answer. The classes that you have taken in more recent years say more about your abilities than those you took when you were younger. Focus on your strengths. Be honest about former weaknesses, and show that you have grown past them.