Students who commute to school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

Citrusxoxo

How far are you guys driving to get to your classes? I have to drive 46 miles one way to get to my school. Its about an hour and a half with traffic. Just wondering if anyone is in the same boat as me. :idea:

Members don't see this ad.

Citrusxoxo said:
How far are you guys driving to get to your classes? I have to drive 46 miles one way to get to my school. Its about an hour and a half with traffic. Just wondering if anyone is in the same boat as me. :idea:

I am in the same boat as you, my drive is a good hour to school, that is without traffic. My classes start at 8am so I make sure to leave super early before the morning traffic gets real bad. I just keep telling my self this will all be worth it in the end lol ;) I really wish I lived 5 mins away like most of the students, but I have a family and we really did not want to move.

PMart

Members don't see this ad :)
My drive is about 20-25 miles but with Chicago traffic I will be looking at a 45 minute to an hour plus commute. Midwestern is out in the 'burbs, but I really want to experience the city life Chi-Town has to offer.

wow... I was upset about my 15 minute commute on the E-mountain board... Now who has a commuter Decal... if you aint a grad student at UF, you dont have one :mad:

aboveliquidice said:
wow... I was upset about my 15 minute commute on the E-mountain board... Now who has a commuter Decal... if you aint a grad student at UF, you dont have one :mad:

Trust me commuter decals at UF are worthless! Ride the bus in, it's so much easier. If you don't near a good bus route you can still park in Park N Ride, which blows but it's not as bad as hunting for commuter.

ageldred said:
Trust me commuter decals at UF are worthless! Ride the bus in, it's so much easier. If you don't near a good bus route you can still park in Park N Ride, which blows but it's not as bad as hunting for commuter.

Yeah - I've heard that if your class isnt at 8, dont plan on finding a space anyway. As for me - I live north of the campus on 23rd blvd - and I am just going to use my E-board to get to school (no decal required) and it locks up at the bike racks... holla

The bus is only good for me if it is raining... and even then, I have to stand in the rain waiting for a bus. Sucks balls

aboveliquidice said:
Yeah - I've heard that if your class isnt at 8, dont plan on finding a space anyway. As for me - I live north of the campus on 23rd blvd - and I am just going to use my E-board to get to school (no decal required) and it locks up at the bike racks... holla

The bus is only good for me if it is raining... and even then, I have to stand in the rain waiting for a bus. Sucks balls

Have fun at UF! I hope to be back there for pharmacy school in 07.

I thought i had it bad!!! I have to go 46 miles but it will take 1hr and 10 min....

ethyl said:
Just mapquested my commute...

Total Est. Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
Total Est. Distance: 67.62 miles

:(

I'll be taking the train to UIC instead of driving (to save my $ and my sanity!)

Going to school will take approx. 1.5 hours (including taking the El and if I catch the express train out) and going back home will take approx. 2 hours because there won't be an express train available.

I also figure that I can study during my time on the train.

Wow, I thought i live far from my school... but u guys are like... :D
I live 25 miles away from my school, and take me around 45' to commute and traffic sucks...

I'm 49 miles from school. Unfortunately, to get to a 8am class, I have to leave by 6am. If I wait until 6:30, then I'll never get through Tampa rush hour in time. My furthest rotation was 80 miles away in Ocala. I made it there in 75 minutes just because I was heading away from Tampa.

Members don't see this ad :)
bananaface said:
My advice is to move closer. Being far away is only going to suck worse each year.

+1
I can't imagine having a >1hour commute!

It takes me less than 10minutes to drive to school :oops:

bananaface said:
My advice is to move closer. Being far away is only going to suck worse each year.

If you own your house, this isn't necessarily the best idea. If I get in to my #1 choice, I'm looking at 60-80 minutes depending on traffic. I don't want to move though - if I sell my house and buy a new one closer to the school, I'll have a worse interest rate (~6% instead of 4.5%), and probably have to buy a smaller house. I'd happily drive over an hour a day to save that money, as well as the inconvenience of buying and selling a house.

Citrusxoxo said:

My drive will be 46 miles one way to school from my home when I begin my pre-pharmacy studies next month. It'll take me about an 1 hour 15 minutes each way.

I used to commute 2 hours one way to work when I lived in California so I can understand and empathize with those that drive long distances to school.

I guess I should be thrilled that I only live 15miles from my school:)

I plan on walking the 6-8 blocks to my school as long as it isn't over 90 degrees or under 20. Hope to save some gas and lose some pounds.

My family is relocating midway between DC (where my huband works) and Richmond (where I'll attend VCU). Try 61 miles (according to Mapquest 1 hour 8 minutes) with a 2-year old in the car.

We've tried driving places this summer to get used to the commute, but I am still queasy at the thought.

Thank goodness, I can do my P3 year up here in Northern Virginia.

For those with hour+ drives like me, I'd strongly advise recording your lectures, burning them to CD's and playing them on the way to school. If you have lectures online, download em and play them on a laptop on the seat and just listen. This helped me a LOT on my commute last year and it doesn't feel like you're wasting time that could be better spent studying.

gds. said:
I'll be taking the train to UIC instead of driving (to save my $ and my sanity!)

Going to school will take approx. 1.5 hours (including taking the El and if I catch the express train out) and going back home will take approx. 2 hours because there won't be an express train available.

I also figure that I can study during my time on the train.

ditto...taking the metra from the burbs to UIC. I think between the drive, metra, and bus, i'll take approximately 1.5 one way..... :scared:

pinkpnther86 said:
ditto...taking the metra from the burbs to UIC. I think between the drive, metra, and bus, i'll take approximately 1.5 one way..... :scared:

Any reason why you're taking the bus (which bus route?) instead of the Blue/PInk Line?

There's a guy in my class who commutes 2 hours each way.

I am a 10 minute drive away (or less). :D

Pharm47 said:
If you own your house, this isn't necessarily the best idea. If I get in to my #1 choice, I'm looking at 60-80 minutes depending on traffic. I don't want to move though - if I sell my house and buy a new one closer to the school, I'll have a worse interest rate (~6% instead of 4.5%), and probably have to buy a smaller house. I'd happily drive over an hour a day to save that money, as well as the inconvenience of buying and selling a house.

Did you take gas prices into consideration? Friends of mine who moved out of the city in order to have more space (land) are now kicking themselves since they still have to commute in every day. They spend $250-300 per month on gasoline to live 30 miles out and they both drive fairly economical cars.

I'm so grateful:
a) that I don't have a car (although sometimes it would be nice)
b) that I live less than 3 miles from school

Of course I have no equity in a house either, which is nothing to sneeze at.

My commute takes about an hour with metro. Sometimes I wish I lived in those new upscale lofts located a block away from my school .

ethyl said:
For those with hour+ drives like me, I'd strongly advise recording your lectures, burning them to CD's and playing them on the way to school. If you have lectures online, download em and play them on a laptop on the seat and just listen. This helped me a LOT on my commute last year and it doesn't feel like you're wasting time that could be better spent studying.

Before I wanted to try thoses ideas (as I record my lectures with an mp3 player) but the train was too loud. Maybe I gotta get myself some noise-cancelling headphones and try that :clap:

I drive 58 miles one way to get to my school. It is not fun at all.. lol

If I get in at LECOM Bradenton, my fiance and I plan to live in St. Petersburg because he is in the Air Force and will be working in Tampa everyday. We're hoping to make it only about 40 minutes for each of us to drive. I'm from ND where it doesn't take more than 10 minutes to drive across the whole town, so 40 minutes of driving for me is going to be crazy long. Plus, I'd have to go through a toll booth every morning! Yuck! Oh, and did I mention that I hate mornings?

I only have to drive about 10 minutes to get to my school but next year when I transfer to a different school it will probably be about an hour to an hour and a half.

I may end up going to Touro and I was thinking, the school is in Vallejo and I live in the bay area, but I would have to commute 40 mins w/o traffic, hour++ /w traffic (and there is always traffic in the SF bay area in the weekday mornings!). So I was thinking of the money I would spend on gas and the toll (4 dollars a day, times 5 days is 20 dollars a week!), and I was thinking I would probably be better of finding an apartment and I wouldn't have to worry about losing study time or getting too tired from commuting

I am going to commute about 40 miles to school, which is OK with me. I would like everyone who has to commute to look at the situation from different perspective. I was born and raised in Moscow, Russia. When I worked there, my commute was 1.5 hours one way, and it was in badly crouded trains and buses, ususally standing. No comforts of your own car. My commute was pretty average. Many people have to travel to work even longer. Moscow is huge and spread out, so people are used to long commutes. Sure, I'd be happy to live right next to school, but it is not possible for many reasons. It is good that the school is within driving distance.

I finally watched my odometer this morning - 56 miles one way (takes about an hour since, luckily, it's mostly interstate driving). I'm so glad that my folks let me stay with them during the week (if I had to drive from my own house I'd be looking at 151 miles one way)! Can't wait to move and get settled in town somewhere - looking forward to that 7 minute commute :)