Study Buddy for preparing for MCAT 2015-2016 using TBR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

engr2dr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting out with self study of TBR books in preparation for MCAT 2015 - 2016. I am planning to take Kaplan prep. next year but would like to finish reading the TBR material before that.

(Background: I am post bac with a bachelor's degree in engn. from a foreign country and in my early thirties - hoping that doesn't matter. Also, I have a full time job so will be mostly studying weekends and evenings.)

Is there anyone else who would want to join in? I am thinking communicating via skype and email.
Buzz me if you're interested!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't burn yourself out!! Studying now will likely not do you much good in a years time. It's a good idea to know what is on the test, but I imagine that you won't remember all the equations for constant acceleration, or which enzymes/hormones are produced in the small intestine and the pancreas, or even the trends of the periodic table. What I mean to say is when you are going to study for the MCAT go FULL throttle. All MCAT all the time. If I was you, I would focus on kicking ass in some pre-req's. If anything, start reading content that is similar to the verbal section on the exam. This is the one part of the exam that is actually a skill instead of content memorization. Read stuff like WSJ, Scientific American... there are many that are recommended if you do a quick search.

Don't burn yourself out!! Studying now will likely not do you much good in a years time. It's a good idea to know what is on the test, but I imagine that you won't remember all the equations for constant acceleration, or which enzymes/hormones are produced in the small intestine and the pancreas, or even the trends of the periodic table. What I mean to say is when you are going to study for the MCAT go FULL throttle. All MCAT all the time. If I was you, I would focus on kicking ass in some pre-req's. If anything, start reading content that is similar to the verbal section on the exam. This is the one part of the exam that is actually a skill instead of content memorization. Read stuff like WSJ, Scientific American... there are many that are recommended if you do a quick search.

Thanks for your input HesyRa! I have been out of school for more than a decade and would definitely need time to get back into the groove of studying. I plan on winning the race at a slow and steady pace.

Cheers,
bw

Members don't see this ad :)
if you are interested message here, and i will add you to the group

This is not a good plan. Honestly, a 3-month or 4-month cram session is the better option for the MCAT.

What if you were to supplement the plan with a SR program like Anki? Will that help with the memory bit? I'm in the same boat - post bac and want to take the MCAT in roughly 1 to 1.5 years from now. I figure going slowly and steadily with the content (I have TBR and EK), solidifying it with Anki, and then, in the few months before the exam, start taking and reviewing as many practice tests (of course, the AAMC practice exams will be used last) as I can get my hands on isn't so bad. How's that for a plan?

Nope, don't treat this like a knowledge test. It's a standardized test. Wherever your knowledge base is, the best play is to knock through BR books and be familiar with quests. Finally, you need to prep yourself with mock exams to get your body, mind, and spirit ready for test day. It's as simple as that.

My weakest subject on the old MCAT is actually bio. I ended up spending most of my time prepping for that section at the end. It was my best subsection out of all threes.

I am starting out with self study of TBR books in preparation for MCAT 2015 - 2016. I am planning to take Kaplan prep. next year but would like to finish reading the TBR material before that.

(Background: I am post bac with a bachelor's degree in engn. from a foreign country and in my early thirties - hoping that doesn't matter. Also, I have a full time job so will be mostly studying weekends and evenings.)

Is there anyone else who would want to join in? I am thinking communicating via skype and email.
Buzz me if you're interested!

Hi,

Im starting to take the test in April 2016, but I only have the old BR material and the MCAT 2015 material for Kaplan!
I was wondering if I could buy your copy of your BR books if they are new edition, 2015!
Thanks very much

Last edited:
Hello
I am preparing to take the MCAT and don't know where to begin. I feels so overwhelmed and really need support. I took the MCAT ten years ago left the medical world to fulfill other aspirations ( Former school principal). My passion for medicine has never left and I want to continue where my heart is, medicine. When reviewing science content, I become frustrated and overwhelmed because of the time lapse away from the sciences, and my inability to recall information. I am looking for any level of support. I am open to study groups, study partners, etc. I am currently in the Washington, DC area, I am determined to be a doctor and want to overcome this MCAT hurdle. Any suggestions? Please help!!

Hello
I am preparing to take the MCAT and don't know where to begin. I feels so overwhelmed and really need support. I took the MCAT ten years ago left the medical world to fulfill other aspirations ( Former school principal). My passion for medicine has never left and I want to continue where my heart is, medicine. When reviewing science content, I become frustrated and overwhelmed because of the time lapse away from the sciences, and my inability to recall information. I am looking for any level of support. I am open to study groups, study partners, etc. I am currently in the Washington, DC area, I am determined to be a doctor and want to overcome this MCAT hurdle. Any suggestions? Please help!!

Hi @te2007 welcome to SDN!

First rule of thumb: DO NOT despair!

Remember that the path to becoming a future physician/health professional is hard but worthy. First of all, great for looking up for help and signing up for SDN. In here you will find endless amount of information on how to approach the path of pursuing medicine. Please navigate around other forums and search for previous threads that talk about requirements, application, MCAT, EC, etc... SDN has more than 10 years of experience from thousands of people that once were in your shoes.

I found some great tools, here on SDN, that have been proven extremely helpful. Hope these helps

Written by @mcatjelly MCAT study guide, includes corresponding BR, EK, Kaplan, and Khan academy videos:

Anki deck with about +/- 2000 questions (can't remember who posted this in SDN, if you know, please let me know to give them credit)https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vf72d32p7536djp/AABeYbhfKpchNeiPzakZSrtya?dl=0

30 day guide to the CARS section by: @TestingSolutionshttp://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/testing-solution’s-30-day-guide-to-mcat-cars-success.1131850/

MCAT 2015 STUDY PLAN adapted from SN2ed & MCATjelly - EK, TBR, TPRH, Kaplan by @_Nymeria_
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...m-sn2ed-mcatjelly-ek-tbr-tprh-kaplan.1127723/

Reactions: 3 users